SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2007, 03:02 PM   #1
mr weather
mr weather is on a distinguished road

Default Replacing serpentine belt on 2003 V6

My VUE has nearly 60k miles on it and I thought it might be a good idea to replace the accessory drive (serpentine) belt.

I searched around and sort of caught wind that removal of the upper engine mount is required. Is this true?

Overall, how difficult it it to replace the belt? Can anyone provide the steps required?

Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mr weather's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mr weather reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mr weather is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-2007, 03:14 PM   #2
Gerry Proctor
Master Member
Gerry Proctor has a spectacular aura aboutGerry Proctor has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR
2008 SKY Red Line
Default Re: Replacing serpentine belt on 2003 V6

Yes, upper mount has to come off. This isn't difficult. Put a jack under the oil pan (put a block of wood or something firm but soft to spread the load) and remove the mount. As I recall, it's just four nuts -two on the frame rail and two on the engine adapter. The tensioner is toward the firewall. Just put a wrench on it and rotate it clockwise. That's about all there is to it. Probably take you no more than a half hour at the very most.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Gerry Proctor's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Gerry Proctor reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Gerry Proctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 06:49 PM   #3
mr weather

Thanks, Gerry.

I poked around under the hood and it looks like the air filter box will have to come out too to access one of the four engine mount bolts/nuts. Or am I mistaken?

As far as supporting the oil pan would something like a short piece of 2x6 be sufficient to spread the load?

You'll have to excuse my querries. The last serpentine belt I replaced was on my 95 Cavalier and it was a breeze!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help mr weather reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-27-2007, 08:04 PM   #4
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

1995 SW2
2003 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr weather View Post
Thanks, Gerry.

I poked around under the hood and it looks like the air filter box will have to come out too to access one of the four engine mount bolts/nuts. Or am I mistaken?

As far as supporting the oil pan would something like a short piece of 2x6 be sufficient to spread the load?
I remember removing the Filter Box and most of the duct work. And I think I used a piece of 2x6 also.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chazberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 09:12 PM   #5
Fastwrx
Fastwrx is on a distinguished road

do not put the 2x6 on the area near the drain plug, instead put it at the edge of the oil pan where the bottom meets the side (you know where the oilpan is strongest at the edge.) I have seen too many times people supporting the engine on the middle of the oil pan and it could cave in.
the popular place people support on is the raised "block" on the bottom of the oil pan....this will cave in with too much weight.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Fastwrx's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Fastwrx reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Fastwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 07:30 AM   #6
mr weather

Yes, I would think having the oil pan collapse on you would definitely put a damper on your day.

I'll take a peek underneath and see what's what. I may even have some scrap 2x12's kicking around as a safer alternative.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-27-2007, 05:32 PM   #7
texan
texan is on a distinguished road

2002 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Proctor View Post
Yes, upper mount has to come off. This isn't difficult. Put a jack under the oil pan (put a block of wood or something firm but soft to spread the load) and remove the mount. As I recall, it's just four nuts -two on the frame rail and two on the engine adapter. The tensioner is toward the firewall. Just put a wrench on it and rotate it clockwise. That's about all there is to it. Probably take you no more than a half hour at the very most.
Put a wrench on what? I'm trying to release the tensioner on mine. I was hoping to find a square hole for a ratchet, but I don't see anything to put a wrench on.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to texan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help texan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 08:07 AM   #8
rfisher
rfisher is a jewel in the roughrfisher is a jewel in the roughrfisher is a jewel in the rough

hi sages- curious . called chevrolet dealer to inquire about belt change. told $ 130 on my 4 cyl L100 and "a lot more" on v6. does that make sense or am I on the road to the cleaners in clip city. im getting off on the next exit for bohemia. regards bob f

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rfisher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rfisher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rfisher is offline   Reply With Quote