SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > How-To Library
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 05:18 PM   #1
JohnHupp
JohnHupp is on a distinguished road

Wrench Transaxle Input Shaft Nut Replacement Tip

I recently replaced the transaxle input shaft nut to successfully solve a problem in which my '95 SL2 often refused to shift into higher gears when warm.

The factory service manual for the automatic transaxle does not give a specific procedure for replacing the input shaft nut, but most of what you want is in the "In-Vehicle Service" section under the "End-Cover Removal" procedure.

For those without access to this manual, TedL gives some How-To quality advice in this Tech Talk thread: Tranny troubles.

He gives some further helpful advice in my Tech Talk question thread on this topic at Transaxle input shaft nut: how-to or advice?.

MY TIP CONTRIBUTION: The factory manual refers to a $100 special tool that immobilizes the input shaft so that you can loosen/tighten the nut. TedL says that he avoided that by using a chain-type pipe wrench with a chain larger than 15" (say 18" or better). I bought the 24" chain wrench from Harbor Freight for $9.99, but was not able to get the job done with it (though I was also working without a helper to hold the wrench). But what did work for me was to screw a 6" C-clamp onto the shaft-end and let the screw catch a suspension rod to keep the shaft from spinning. I was a little worried that this could deform the aluminum alloy in the shaft-end, but that did not happen.

Minor tip: I also rounded off one of the bolt heads while removing the end cover using a close-at-hand 12-point socket. Then I broke off an easy-out in the bolt head while trying to remove it that way. I finally got the bolt out after heating up the bolt head for a couple minutes with a plain propane torch and then using a 6-point socket. The propane flame did not damage the rubber tranny mount that was right under the bolt.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JohnHupp's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JohnHupp reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2005, 02:50 PM   #2
Luke
Master Member
Luke will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2
Default Re: Transaxle Input Shaft Nut Replacement Tip

John Hupp

Super input, thank you...

> 95 SL 2 = 653,369 Miles 40.4 MPG, as of 5/20/11. My manual Radiator Fan Switch, courtesy of Wolfman's patient installation guidance, continues to be.......invaluable < The car was retired

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Luke's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Luke reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread