SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-17-2001, 12:58 PM   #1
jb12
jb12 is on a distinguished road

Post 2002 Sc2

Joining the fray....

I just bought my third Saturn (first two were leased), a new red 2002 SC2 coupe (stick, of course). Other than the fact that I couldn't get it in green, the alloy rims aren't as nice as last year's, and the CD Player's Random function keeps playing the same 4 or 5 tracks, I absolutely love this car.

I discovered this site as I was browsing the 'net looking for some Saturn info, although I'd had my heart set on that 3-door and wasn't really interested in other cars (except maybe the Beetle...) I stuck with Saturn mostly because my 98 SL2 (also stick) was incredibly reliable and fun to drive, and I know the current SC2 has the same basic "old-reliable" powertrain (which critics see as a drawback to Saturn S's in general); also (and this is a big reason) Saturns are generally cheaper to insure than similar cars, at least according to my broker.

I'm a little disturbed, though, at some of the negative press this car and Saturn are getting, though I know and understand the reasons for it. Even here, the cars and company take a lot of hits. All I ask for in a car is that it not break down on me every other week, as my '87 S-10 Blazer did (I replaced it with a 95 SL1 the day after I spent 17 hours in a garage on Staten Island thanks to a water pump seal that ruptured on the S.I.E. at 10 p.m. on a Sunday night on the way home from Philly). So far, my Saturns have fit that bill just fine, thank you very much. Old design? Fine by me. It's a good one.

Glad to join SaturnFans.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jb12's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jb12 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2001, 01:29 PM   #2
BobL
Master Member
BobL is on a distinguished road

Hope it gives you long, reliable servive.

Dealer can swap out the radio in a few minutes. They send the old one back as a core.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-17-2001, 05:14 PM   #3
jb12
jb12 is on a distinguished road

I don't think there's anything really WRONG with it; I was really exaggerating, but it does repeat tracks before all of them have been played; most CD players' random functions will play each track once, in random order.

However, if this IS a malfunction, I'll bring it back. Anyone else notice this?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jb12's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jb12 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-17-2001, 07:05 PM   #4
Cretin_V6
Cretin_V6 is on a distinguished road

I had a Sony 10 disc changer in my ol' 99 SC2. The random funtion hardly ever played the same song twice. But I have noticed that my new Mustang's 6 cd in dash changer plays a few songs not so randomly.

I wonder if off the market ones are better than stock ones, as far as the random function.

-Amy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cretin_V6's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cretin_V6 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-17-2001, 07:25 PM   #5
piney
Master Member
piney will become famous soon enoughpiney will become famous soon enough

Thumbs Up cd works fine

I have the 1997, in-dash, factory CD with the eq stuff on the front of it. It seems to play them all. Take it back - there may well be somethign NFG with it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to piney's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help piney reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-17-2001, 07:45 PM   #6
John10
Master Member
John10 will become famous soon enoughJohn10 will become famous soon enough

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2009 VUE 2.4L
Happy Re: 2002 Sc2

Quote:
Originally posted by jb12

Old design? Fine by me. It's a good one.

Glad to join SaturnFans.
Welcome to the site. It's good to hear that someone else also appreciates reliability.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to John10's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help John10 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-17-2001, 08:07 PM   #7
L300Boy
Master Member
L300Boy is on a distinguished road

I think the new SC2 is a cool car. It is styled nicely (even has the car "face"), has different leather seats then the L series (they appear to be the ones that are in the buick SUV) -- they might be better?, and a nice little 1.9L, that when mated with a stick, performs quite well for an economy coupe. Economy is such a dirty word, but i strictly refer to the impressive gas milage. Its 27/37 I believe?

A fully loaded 2002 SC2 can hit 20k, and i think thats what really hits people hard. I think they expect more "power". This will change for the 2003's.

I did see one today in the show room for 17k that was nicely equipt ... thats a good price.

Now that i think back, id buy it over the SL2 i bought ... even though i really HATE cramped 2 doors :-)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to L300Boy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help L300Boy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-17-2001, 09:31 PM   #8
Bar(long a)
Bar(long a) is on a distinguished road

Thumbs Up

Welcome jb

I've only been a 99SC2RAD owner since June. It's a great, fun machine. I assume the '02 will also be.

I suggest perusing the car care section for some way cool links keeping yr '02 spiffy clean.

I recommend www.propercarcare.com. Try it ,you'll like it

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bar(long a)'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bar(long a) reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-17-2001, 09:45 PM   #9
Bar(long a)
Bar(long a) is on a distinguished road

Dizzy

oops

jb, that was supposed to be properautocare.com for spiffy clean stuff

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bar(long a)'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bar(long a) reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-17-2001, 10:23 PM   #10
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud of

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line

Congrats and welcome aboard! Best of luck with your Saturn.

Charlie

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-19-2001, 08:09 PM   #11
2001sc2
2001sc2 is on a distinguished road

Default CD players randomness

Unfortunately I noticed the same problem, I don't know why, even after swapping out the cd and putting it in later, it seems to favor some tracks over others. So I bought the Sony Xplod MP3 player and it does the same thing, even when your CD has 140 tracks on it, I seem to get the same couple again and again. Just my luck.
Jim

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2001sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2001sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread