SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-05-2001, 05:13 PM   #1
bickley
bickley is on a distinguished road

Default Stock horsepower on a 3-door

Just curious guys. Doing some research on the Saturns. How much horsepower does the top of the line Saturn 3-doors come with? I don't actually own one but someone gave me an outrageous number. Something like 250 at the wheels. Is this true? What about quarter-mile times stock? Thanks for helping a Saturn newbie.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bickley's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bickley reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-2001, 05:21 PM   #2
DBLW1
Advanced Member
DBLW1 is on a distinguished road

HAHAHAHAHA....250 at the wheel? Not even close. The SC2 (the highest trim) gets 124hp@5600rpm, 0-60 @ 8.2sec, and quarter mile is 16.4sec @ 84mph. These numbers are ripped from Car and Driver.
Linked
Noticed you got a Celica GTS.....nice.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DBLW1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DBLW1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-05-2001, 07:32 PM   #3
SpeedPlayer 97sl2
SpeedPlayer 97sl2 is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2
2002 SC2

bickley, your GT-S will absolutely STRIP any of the newer Saturn SC2 5-speeds out there. The older 91-92 SC DOHC 5-speed coupes were able to squeeze about 7.4 seconds from 0-60, and the high-15's in the quarter miles. The 95-96 coupes could get around 7.6 and low-16's. Then, the 97-99 pre-RAD (rear access door) coupes got around the 8.0 mark for the 5-speed manuals, and the new coupes with the 3-doors and the extra weight take about 8.2-8.5 seconds for the 5-speed. The older SC's...you can beat them in your GT-S no sweat, as long as you can shift well. The newer SC2's...you can miss a shift, and still step all over them. They're too heavy for their own good. The fastest Saturns ever were the 91-92 SC's with the exhaust headers and less restricive airbox.

250 at the wheel?!?! Man, whoever told you really must not know what the heck they're talking about! If that was the case, my SL2 automatic would be peeling out left and right just by feathering the gas!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SpeedPlayer 97sl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SpeedPlayer 97sl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-05-2001, 08:41 PM   #4
Dr. Bob
Master Member
Dr. Bob is on a distinguished road

250 HP??? some wishful thinking!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dr. Bob's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dr. Bob reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-05-2001, 10:20 PM   #5
piney
Master Member
piney will become famous soon enoughpiney will become famous soon enough

Cool 248 hp maybe...

Well, that is 124 hp to the front left wheel and 124 hp to the front right wheel, that makes 248 hp!!! Ooooh boy, that Celica will be dusted. NOT.

Nice choice in cars BTW - The GTS is a nice car. Did you look at the Tiburon by chance???

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to piney's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help piney reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-05-2001, 11:22 PM   #6
spencerb
Master Member
spencerb will become famous soon enoughspencerb will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

Those numbers aren't bad. I would much rather have a convienent third door than get to 60mph 0.3 seconds faster when I floor it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spencerb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spencerb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-07-2001, 10:40 PM   #7
Plastic Gravity

Quote:
Originally posted by spencerb
Those numbers aren't bad. I would much rather have a convienent third door than get to 60mph 0.3 seconds faster when I floor it.
I'll remember that when I blow by you- by nearly a second on the dash to 60 getting on the freeway. My cousin has a 2001 Sc2, and the differences between her car, and my 92 SC are dramatic. Her's is quiet, softly sprung, and rather sedate in accelleration(Granted, her's is an auto). Mine is a bit loud(I have an aftermarket intake, and a low restriction exhaust), taut(that's the Gen 1 cars!) and surprisingly quick. Getting on and off the freeway in both cars is a much different experience.

I like the third door. I like the styling of the new SC's. I even like the softer ride. The problem isn't the 3rd door. Its the lack of an evolution of the powerplant. Saturn could have introduced a 2.0 liter, with more aggressive tuning to get a solid 140 or so Hp. They could have gone with a turbo powerplant. Even a low displacement V6(2.5 to 2.8liter) would have worked. The Turbo'd SC2 that Paul and Angela have is proof positive that a turbo SC would easily be a match for the likes of the GTS, RSX, Integras,

Yes, the GTS will smack the SC. The regular GT, now that's a pretty even race.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Plastic Gravity's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Plastic Gravity reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!

Old 10-08-2001, 07:50 AM   #8
spencerb
Master Member
spencerb will become famous soon enoughspencerb will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally posted by Plastic Gravity

I'll remember that when I blow by you- by nearly a second on the dash to 60 getting on the freeway.
If it's a single lane on ramp like they are here, you'll just have to wait for me!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spencerb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spencerb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread