SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2019, 10:30 PM   #1
Cody T
Cody T is on a distinguished road

2002 SL1
2000 SL1
Default Add oil instead of changing oil

Hello all. I own two saturns. Both of which burn the oil as they do. Is it a bad idea to instead of doing an oil change every 3k to just add oil and change filter every 6k-7k? I use the NAPA gold filters. and run walmart full synthetic.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cody T's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cody T reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cody T is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2019, 10:54 PM   #2
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
1998 SC2
Default Re: Add oil instead of changing oil

I vote no to that idea. I know people who have done it.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 01:24 AM   #3
can0fspam
can0fspam has a spectacular aura aboutcan0fspam has a spectacular aura aboutcan0fspam has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2

I have to top off my oil and I still change oil and filter every 3K.
Whether or not you top it off, your filter will fill up with crud over time. When it fills up, the crud will remain in the oil circuits and could block an oil passage. Not a good idea.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to can0fspam's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help can0fspam reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
can0fspam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 07:55 AM   #4
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

The reason I preferred to change it when mine was an oil burner was the oil was always filthy at 3000 miles. I'd rather get that out of the engine.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-24-2019, 08:47 AM   #5
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

The oil should be changed after you add 2 quarts of oil to return to the full mark and that oil change should occur before the level drops down to 1/2 quart low after the addition of that 2nd quart. The oil filter is incapable of removing all contaminants and that is why you change oil periodically.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 10:38 AM   #6
dummo
Master Member
dummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of light

1997 SW2

Q: How long using the Full Synthetic oil? - years or did you just switch over?

1997 SW2 used 12/29/2011 with 124,200 -27 mpg
2004 Ion3 new 11/2003 (totaled) 11/2011 -23 mpg
1994 SL1 new traded
1992 SL2 new traded for above
* 1986 Yamaha ce50 Jog -100 mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dummo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dummo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dummo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 12:57 PM   #7
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

On my '98 SL2, I pretty much used Walmart Supertech synthetic, the longer Purolator Pure One PL20195 filters, and had to add 3~9 ounces of oil every week to keep the oil just over the FULL line. Generally, did not allow oil level to drop below one or two diamonds on the dipstick.

Changed oil at roughly the 5k~6k mile mark. Then again, my drive cycle was fairly easy - mostly a steady cruise.

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 141k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 05:44 PM   #8
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really nice

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody T View Post
Hello all. I own two saturns. Both of which burn the oil as they do. Is it a bad idea to instead of doing an oil change every 3k to just add oil and change filter every 6k-7k? I use the NAPA gold filters. and run walmart full synthetic.
Unless you like using a full gallon of oil between fillups, I am going to advise AGAINST this practice.

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

Last edited by Saturn Night; 06-27-2019 at 05:44 PM.. Reason: Spelling Correction

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 06:17 PM   #9
gveinot
gveinot is just really nicegveinot is just really nicegveinot is just really nicegveinot is just really nice

2000 SL2
2000 SL2

Briggs and Stratton push lawn mower engines are all non oil change engines now. You just add oil as needed. The engineers figured the mower deck would rust out before the engine would give out hence the no oil changes. A different way of thinking.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gveinot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gveinot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gveinot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 10:50 PM   #10
Eiron
Eiron will become famous soon enoughEiron will become famous soon enough

1999 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody T View Post
IMO there's not enough info here. How much oil does "burn the oil as they do" mean? How did you decide on 6k-7k intervals? Is this the standard size filter or the longer version? And why do you want to do this on a cheap, fake (Grp3) synthetic with a weaker additive pack?

He's dead Jim!
You grab his tricorder, I'll get his wallet.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Eiron's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Eiron reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Eiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 01:49 AM   #11
GTS350
GTS350 is a jewel in the roughGTS350 is a jewel in the roughGTS350 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eiron View Post
And why do you want to do this on a cheap, fake (Grp3) synthetic with a weaker additive pack?
There hasn't been any proven issues with the use of SuperTech since its introduction. The only thing you find is some random person complaining about it, which you see with every brand.
I think now that SuperTech Synthetic meets dexos1 Gen2 and SN Plus we can feel confident that it will be MORE than adequate to protect our Saturn's and arguably superior to a dino oil.
Because of it's price and being a synthetic I think it's the perfect choice.

1999 Saturn SC2 (automatic) 23,000 orig miles (9/10/16)
1996 BMW E36
1971 Holden Monaro GTS 350
1908 Buick Model 10

Its official Saturn Night has removed all doubt.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GTS350's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GTS350 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GTS350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 02:05 AM   #12
sc2 saturn
sc2 saturn is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2

i change my filter every 5-7k depends on oil filter i use, if my oil is low i just top it up until i can do oil filter change, if i were you id just your top up oil until your oil change is at 6k-7k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sc2 saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sc2 saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sc2 saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 09:47 AM   #13
Waiex191
Master Member

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gveinot View Post
Briggs and Stratton push lawn mower engines are all non oil change engines now. You just add oil as needed. The engineers figured the mower deck would rust out before the engine would give out hence the no oil changes. A different way of thinking.
They have plastic camshafts also! On the one hand that is genius. On the other hand what were they thinking?

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-29-2019, 12:08 PM   #14
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

It is a throw away lawn mower, motor and all.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-29-2019, 12:55 PM   #15
454cid
454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough

I have my grandfathers Montgomery Wards mower... B&S engine dated 1976! It was his new mower when my dad and I picked up his old K-mart mower.

2000 SL2 Automatic (back on the road) 17X,XXX miles.
1999 Chevy K3500

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 454cid's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 454cid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
454cid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 10:13 AM   #16
VUEmaniac
VUEmaniac is a jewel in the roughVUEmaniac is a jewel in the roughVUEmaniac is a jewel in the roughVUEmaniac is a jewel in the rough

1997 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTS350 View Post
There hasn't been any proven issues with the use of SuperTech since its introduction. The only thing you find is some random person complaining about it, which you see with every brand.
I think now that SuperTech Synthetic meets dexos1 Gen2 and SN Plus we can feel confident that it will be MORE than adequate to protect our Saturn's and arguably superior to a dino oil.
If you're going to be at Walmart anyway, why not just use Rotella T6 synthetic? That always did a great job of keeping my Saturn 4-bangers sludge free, it's fantastic oil, and is usually only about $20/gallon at WMT.

Best,

---
Don't blame a clown for acting like a clown. Ask yourself why YOU keep going to the circus.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VUEmaniac's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VUEmaniac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VUEmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 02:38 PM   #17
VUEmaniac
VUEmaniac is a jewel in the roughVUEmaniac is a jewel in the roughVUEmaniac is a jewel in the roughVUEmaniac is a jewel in the rough

1997 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
It is a throw away lawn mower, motor and all.
All the consumer grade mowers are disposable these days. After blowing through a pair of Deere riders that I got from Home Depot (the transmissions are the weak link and the frame is pretty flimsy), I've decided to upgrade to a Kubota diesel compact tractor with a belly mower. They're built like the proverbial brick poop house.

Best,

---
Don't blame a clown for acting like a clown. Ask yourself why YOU keep going to the circus.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VUEmaniac's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VUEmaniac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VUEmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 03:20 PM   #18
Eiron
Eiron will become famous soon enoughEiron will become famous soon enough

1999 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTS350 View Post
For me dexos is not a spec I rely on for engine longevity. It's primary goal is to earn GM the regulatory $$ credit for a fuel efficient motor oil that lasts barely long enough to meet an "extended drain" label. I'm not familiar with Gen2, but the original dexos 1 & 2 oils could be dino oils and still meet the spec. And the OP's request was to never change the oil. I wouldn't choose a cheap Grp3 "synthetic" in that kind of application.

But we still don't have any response from the OP ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by VUEmaniac View Post
If you're going to be at Walmart anyway, why not just use Rotella T6 synthetic? That always did a great job of keeping my Saturn 4-bangers sludge free, it's fantastic oil, and is usually only about $20/gallon at WMT.
This makes more sense to me, too. Is it price competitive to the Walmart oil?

He's dead Jim!
You grab his tricorder, I'll get his wallet.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Eiron's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Eiron reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Eiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 04:59 PM   #19
OldNuc

1998 SC2

I think the T-6 is close enough to be cost competitive and at least it is a name brand product.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-30-2019, 10:02 PM   #20
GTS350
GTS350 is a jewel in the roughGTS350 is a jewel in the roughGTS350 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eiron View Post
For me dexos is not a spec I rely on for engine longevity. It's primary goal is to earn GM the regulatory $$ credit for a fuel efficient motor oil that lasts barely long enough to meet an "extended drain" label
Is there a specification without a conspiracy theory that you have confidence in?

1999 Saturn SC2 (automatic) 23,000 orig miles (9/10/16)
1996 BMW E36
1971 Holden Monaro GTS 350
1908 Buick Model 10

Its official Saturn Night has removed all doubt.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GTS350's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GTS350 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GTS350 is offline   Reply With Quote