SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2019, 07:31 AM   #1
rfisher
rfisher is a jewel in the roughrfisher is a jewel in the roughrfisher is a jewel in the rough

Default the old wheel alignment trick

hi my bruthas- as most car sages and shade tree mechanics over 40 know, certain car jobs invite shysterism attempts more than others. wheel alignments present such a fat opportunity for clip joints. often a request for an alignment leads to a "discovery " that you need ball joints, tie rod ends, bushings, sway bars and muffler bearings at $$$ home run prices. thinking I ought to check and get an alignment on my 01 L. just replaced front quick struts in my driveway. everything seems tight and quiet(no more clunks) and no tracking to left or right. figure should cost $100 or less. also figure those $39 specials are an invitation to larceny. where are the adjusters for this on the L100. Haynes and chilton are stinko on this information . struts had no adjustment ability. word on the street is this alignment uses shims and has only 2 adjustments- toe and camber, no caster. so if any bruthas here have experience with this please sock it to me(sorry, picked that up in 1964). thanks tons bob f

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rfisher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rfisher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-2019, 11:50 AM   #2
02 LW300
Advanced Member
02 LW300 is a name known to all02 LW300 is a name known to all02 LW300 is a name known to all02 LW300 is a name known to all02 LW300 is a name known to all02 LW300 is a name known to all

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: the old wheel alignment trick

You are correct the only front alignment adjustments are toe and if needed camber. Camber needs an offset bolt to replace one of the two bolts holding the quick strut to the knuckle.
The rear has toe that is adjustable from the factory. If you need to adjust camber a small amount there are shims that fit between the wheel bearing assembly and the rear knuckle. If you need a lot of camber adjustment there is an adjustable lower control arm available. I have those arms under my car since I lowered the rear and needed major camber change.

2002 L200/5 loaded, loving my stick shift car now with KYB struts and adjustable rear control arms.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 02 LW300's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 02 LW300 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
02 LW300 is offline   Reply With Quote