SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2019, 06:30 PM   #1
Silverblu02SL2
Silverblu02SL2 is a jewel in the roughSilverblu02SL2 is a jewel in the roughSilverblu02SL2 is a jewel in the rough

2002 SL2
Default 02 SL2 driving impressions

After driving this new to me 02 SL2 with 62K miles for the last few weeks accumulating around 130 miles. Here are a few observations:

- The ride is really twitchy! Each corner of the car reacts to the slightest irregularity in road surface.

- Visibility via outside and rear view mirrors is ok, not great like my other cars.

- Engine has adequate power and runs smooth and quiet, compared to my diesels.

- The horn is dangerous! If I need it to sound it immediately, I probably won't be able to! The sweet spot is less than 1" in diameter and need precision finger placement! What was Saturn engineers thinking when they designed the horn?

I have been driving with the L hand index finger on the "horn" symbol so that I can sound the horn in a pinch.

Is there a work around? I was thinking of placing a "bar" with depressors over the 2 "horn" symbols so I can activate it with my palm. That would work but pose a new danger: If the air bag deploys, it may take my eyes out.

1/28/2019 2002 SL2 w 62k miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Silverblu02SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Silverblu02SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Silverblu02SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2019, 06:52 PM   #2
Pitcher
Master Member
Pitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura about

1998 SC2
Default Re: 02 SL2 driving impressions

For the twitchiness.....

- What's the air pressure in the Tires?

- How are the Tires & what brand(s)?

- Different brands on the same axle? A no-no.

- Out of alignment? Uneven Tire wear?

- Condition of the front-end parts?

Let us know the findings!

Proud Owner of an Invincible '98 SC2 Rare "Red Hot" 5-Speed.
Castrol Edge EP + M1 Ext Perf. Oil Filter.

Owned 4 other S-Series.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Pitcher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Pitcher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Pitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 06:53 PM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I found my horn buttons are annoying too. It must be the compromise made when airbags were installed in the center of our steering wheels while still allowing room for horn buttons. For several years it was hit or miss when I needed horns. Less missing the horn buttons now that touch/slam memory/hand eye coordination remembers where the small spots are in my steering wheel.

Practice, practice, practice. I'm sure you'll get ample opportunity in NYC.......

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 08:14 PM   #4
Silverblu02SL2
Silverblu02SL2 is a jewel in the roughSilverblu02SL2 is a jewel in the roughSilverblu02SL2 is a jewel in the rough

2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitcher View Post
For the twitchiness.....

- What's the air pressure in the Tires?

- How are the Tires & what brand(s)?

- Different brands on the same axle? A no-no.

- Out of alignment? Uneven Tire wear?

- Condition of the front-end parts?

Let us know the findings!
The 02 SL2 should not handle like this? Maybe twitchy is not a good description of what's happening.

If the left wheel go over a small bump, I can feel the left front of the car go up, followed by the left rear of the car go up as the left rear wheel go over the bump. Instead of soaking up road irregularities like my other cars, I can feel the SL2 react to every irregularity.

Tires are Insignia SE200 185/65R 15 with less than 25k miles on them

Not out of alignment, tires not out of balance, tires wearing evenly.

Front end is fine, no unusual noises. Steering has no play and feel precise.

tires 34 psi front & rear

Last edited by Silverblu02SL2; 02-19-2019 at 08:24 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Silverblu02SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-19-2019, 08:33 PM   #5
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of light

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Sounds about right, especially if you are used to driving a much heavier car. These cars don't have a lot of weight to put on the patch.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 08:46 PM   #6
Silverblu02SL2

2002 SL2

I have a 92 VW Jetta Ecodiesel 5 spd, same weight, with a shorter wheelbase 97.3" vs the SL2's 102.4" It does not bobble over every bump!

Another thing I notice with the Saturn is its large turning radius. I can make U turns in NYC streets in the Jetta with so much less maneuvering compared to the Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-19-2019, 11:10 PM   #7
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1

What's this about using the horn?
Man, I cannot even think the last time I needed to sound it off with any of my cars.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 12:02 AM   #8
Silverblu02SL2

2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by toggenburg View Post
What's this about using the horn?
Man, I cannot even think the last time I needed to sound it off with any of my cars.
If somebody drifts into your lane, a beep will let them know. At a stop light, some driver's don't move when the light turns green... they're busy texting. A beep gets them moving.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-20-2019, 11:03 AM   #9
Pitcher
Master Member
Pitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura about

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverblu02SL2 View Post

Front end is fine, no unusual noises. Steering has no play and feel precise.

tires 34 psi front & rear
Get a shop to check out the front end; just cause it don't make noise doesn't mean it's fine.

Try the tire pressure at 30 front & 26 back & report back.

Proud Owner of an Invincible '98 SC2 Rare "Red Hot" 5-Speed.
Castrol Edge EP + M1 Ext Perf. Oil Filter.

Owned 4 other S-Series.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Pitcher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Pitcher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Pitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 12:17 PM   #10
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
- The horn is dangerous! If I need it to sound it immediately, I probably won't be able to! The sweet spot is less than 1" in diameter and need precision finger placement! What was Saturn engineers thinking when they designed the horn? . . .

Is there a work around? I was thinking of placing a "bar" with depressors over the 2 "horn" symbols so I can activate it with my palm. That would work but pose a new danger: If the air bag deploys, it may take my eyes out.
The early days of airbags

It could be worse . . . on the 2nd gens, the horn buttons were on the two spokes of the steering wheel. If your hands were anywhere other than 10-2, those buttons were hard to find. I think this thread has a pic
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=145738

I haven't looked at a deployed airbag in a while, but IIRC, the plastic cover splits like a very wide "H" when the airbag deploys

If the bar is securely glued to the top flap of the airbag cover, should be safe for your eyes

all you need is to close the electric contact for the horn to work, so you could wire up something external. For example, a metal base plate say, 2" tall by 3" wide (or match it to the size and shape of the top airbag cover flap). Connect this to one horn contact.

Wire the other horn contact to a slightly smaller metal plate and glue thin, foam, spacers (say, 1/8"). The foam spacers act as a spring. Glue the foam spacers to the base plate. cover side facing driver with tape or plastic.

Any time you push the top plate, it will contact the bottom and sound the horn.

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 141k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 03:47 PM   #11
dssl1
dssl1 is on a distinguished road

2001 SL1

Or install a voice activated relay and mic so all you have to do is shout a bloody curse word to sound the horn.
https://www.amazon.com/Bogen-25462-B...tronics&sr=1-3

https://m.dhgate.com/product/new-min...nsh|2100530362

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dssl1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dssl1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dssl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 03:57 PM   #12
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of light

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
If somebody drifts into your lane, a beep will let them know. At a stop light, some driver's don't move when the light turns green... they're busy texting. A beep gets them moving.
My brother lives in nyc. This is certainly a nyc thing. Been a long time since Iíve heard anyone use a horn in California. I think the fines are pretty strict here.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 04:34 PM   #13
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Horn use is quite rare here as well and it is not illegal to use one either.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 04:44 PM   #14
mattwithcats
mattwithcats has a spectacular aura aboutmattwithcats has a spectacular aura aboutmattwithcats has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL2

Wolo Bad Boy Max or Stebel Truck Horn...

Sounds like a loud lovesick moose...

120+ decibels...

http://wolo-usa.com/619.MP3

2002 Silver SL2, manual, 5th gear swap (.605), 80,000 miles, black badges,
205/60R15 "H" rated tires, 5mm spacers rear...
Mobil 1 ESP 0W-30, NAPA 41516...
NGK BKR6E-11 spark plugs

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mattwithcats's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mattwithcats reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mattwithcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 06:44 PM   #15
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
I can attest to NYC driving attitudes and the necessity of horn use. I grew up in the BIg Apple. When my parents bought their home, we had one car in a two car driveway, two car garage. Now three cars occupy the same space. Multiply this scenario a hundred thousand times and anyone not familiar with traffic congestion that didn't exist 60 years ago may not understand preset congestion in NYC. Add the fact that NYC has some of the largest immigrant populations in America with varied driving skills and a recipe for road rage is unavoidable with extremely poor driver etiquette. A higher accident rate occurs. Anyone remember the days when a driver forgets to turn on headlights with the opposing driver cycling low beams several times to signal the errant driver? I think that's called courtesy as a friendly way to signal without stopping or waving. Simple courtesy. Unfortunately, as the immigrant population cycles thru and driving courtesy dies, one particular group seems oblivious to turning on their driving lights altogether at night. I think this is more about ignorance from lack of responsibility in acquiring their driving license than assimilating into America. I verified this group by simply looking at who's driving. Local police may be cracking down on this safety issue. We'll see as time passes.

Horns are needed to remind drivers lacking lane discipline when leaning on the left side either due to poor eyesight or lazy habit of hugging the left side. There are drivers oblivious or ignoring traffic making lane changes regardless of looking thru their side mirrors or turning their head sideways to check for clearance before lane changing. Its now customary to cut off anyone without signaling. Texting is a serious distraction in NYC traffic and horns are needed to interrupt the idiot intent on texting instead of paying attention to the main task of driving, D-R-I-V-I-N-G. There are more undisciplined drivers in NYC than anywhere else, mainly due to the immigrant population in their need to assimilate into America as well as lazy, ignorant drivers without a care. All in and around NYC.

When I traveled outside NYC to the midwest or south, I'm reminded of how courtesy still prevails around the country.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 11:55 PM   #16
GTS350
GTS350 is a jewel in the roughGTS350 is a jewel in the roughGTS350 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2

Quote:
Another thing I notice with the Saturn is its large turning radius. I can make U turns in NYC streets in the Jetta with so much less maneuvering compared to the Saturn.

The horn is dangerous! If I need it to sound it immediately, I probably won't be able to! The sweet spot is less than 1" in diameter and need precision finger placement.
Both of these are very valid points. I have reached for a horn button several times and never hit it when I needed it. The turning radius is insanely bad. I've owned 70's muscle cars with a smaller turning radius.

1999 Saturn SC2 (automatic) 23,000 orig miles (9/10/16)
1996 BMW E36
1971 Holden Monaro GTS 350
1908 Buick Model 10

Its official Saturn Night has removed all doubt.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GTS350's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GTS350 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GTS350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 12:07 AM   #17
Ricketts
Ricketts is just really niceRicketts is just really niceRicketts is just really niceRicketts is just really niceRicketts is just really nice

2000 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
When I traveled outside NYC to the midwest or south, I'm reminded of how courtesy still prevails around the country.
I'm finding more and more that the new culture of "just let everyone do whatever they want and accept it for fear of offending" applies to driving as well. I've seen people sit through an entire green light texting and the drivers behind still won't hit the horn.

2000 SC1 - Bone Stock
No power windows, no power locks, no AC, no cruise control...just a good DD that has nothing to break on it

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ricketts's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ricketts reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ricketts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 01:59 PM   #18
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really nice

1995 SC2

Quote:
I have a 92 VW Jetta Ecodiesel 5 spd, same weight, with a shorter wheelbase 97.3" vs the SL2's 102.4" It does not bobble over every bump!

These cars are responsive over bumps, due to the design of the chassis. The Saturn S-Series is designed and built, in a similar fashion, to the way NASCAR chassis designs are. The result is a very lightweight, stiff chassis, which means you sacrifice your ride quality and smoothness.

You can remove the exterior panels, and still drive the chassis around. Plus, being a sedan makes the chassis more rigid than the coupe chassis. This is due to the center door pillars. They act, similar to that of a strut tower bar, on the front struts.

Unibody chassis are not as responsive, which is part of why the VW had a slightly less-responsive ride.

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 11:05 AM   #19
SLfun
Advanced Member
SLfun will become famous soon enough

1998 SL2
2006 ION Red Line

Quote:

Agreed, the S series does not have a good turning radius! I have an Ion Redline which is about 2 ft longer than my SL2 but it'll turn a much tighter circle.

As for ride comfort, as others have said SL's are quite light. I found that with new struts (KYB) the rebound improved and the ride became more controlled.
Sounds like you may have some tired struts.

My 96 SL2 and 98 SL1 have joined together to become one. So I guess I now have a 1996/8
SL1-2.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SLfun's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SLfun reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SLfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 12:56 PM   #20
Silverblu02SL2

2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLfun View Post
Agreed, the S series does not have a good turning radius! I have an Ion Redline which is about 2 ft longer than my SL2 but it'll turn a much tighter circle.

As for ride comfort, as others have said SL's are quite light. I found that with new struts (KYB) the rebound improved and the ride became more controlled.
Sounds like you may have some tired struts.
At 62K miles, what's the likelyhood the original struts has lost its effectiveness? I have been a passenger in the car since it was new and as far as I can remember, it always rode that way. Who makes the original struts?

Did you put KYB's in the front only or all four?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!