SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2018, 12:17 AM   #1
GSmithFL
GSmithFL is on a distinguished road

2000 SW2
Default '98 SL mystery dead battery or bad ignition?

Hi! Before I begin, I'll say that I'm bringing the car to AutoZone in the morning to have the charging system and battery checked. But I wanted to run this by you all.

Drove the car 90+ miles from Tampa to Orlando in the morning with one stop, no issues.

Left work in the afternoon, drove to local tire shop, then out to Orlando suburbs to family member's home, no issues.

Load toddler in the car tonight and head home to Tampa, no issues.

Stop at Wawa to get a soda on the way home. Turn key to start, there are idiot lights and a cranking starter for 1/2 a second and then all goes dead. No idiot lights, no cranking, no clicking, nothing.

Try to pop-start the car by rolling it backwards and popping the clutch. Not even a lurch or slight hint of a struggling starter.

Take the keys out, push the car back into a space, and call for rescue.

Nice couple in a '01 VW vr6 van (haven't seen one of those in years) hook up their cables and charge my battery for a few mins.

Here's where it gets weird: I go to put my key in to start the Saturn and I can't push it in. It's like the tumblers had a revolution. I turn the key over, try to insert it again, and finally wiggle it in after a few seconds. The car starts and stays running.

We let it run for a bit, and then shut it off. The it restarts just fine. Family members arrive for rescue, decide to drive the Saturn back to their house while they follow. While the car was idling, the "Service" light came on (never saw that lit, ever). Dash lights are bit flickery, but just a bit.

Drove car to the house, back it into the garage. Shut it down. Restart immediately and the car turns over fine. Service light is gone.

Theories:

1) Regulator is bad inside alternator and it is charging battery sometimes and not so much at other points

2) The ignition switch is going bad and, even though the key turned, no power was getting past the switch.

Thoughts?

1996 SL2 - 2011 to 2015

1998 SL - 2017 to 2019

2000 SW2 - 2018 to current

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GSmithFL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GSmithFL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GSmithFL is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-2018, 08:46 AM   #2
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1
Default Re: '98 SL mystery dead battery or bad ignition?

Do just that, take it in and have the alternator and battery checked before doing anything.
How old is the battery and the alternator?
How many miles on the 98?
Are the battery terminals rock tight and any outward sign of corrosion?
Just guessing here but most batteries live about 5 years before shutting down.
Some fail earlier, some later but all eventually fail.
Have Autozone check your system out and go from there.
A weak battery, or one with a single cell bad will not provide enough current to start a car, and a bad connection or loose battery connection will also.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 11:58 AM   #3
GSmithFL
GSmithFL is on a distinguished road

2000 SW2

Battery tested at 12.5v

Alternator tested at 13.4v, even under load

The ignition almost didn't want to release the key when we were at the Advance Discount Auto, so I suspect the ignition/ignition lock is going bad and wasn't letting power through the other night. I lubed it up with spray white lithium grease so it doesn't try to eat my key again.

The car has started 8-10 times now, including a flawless 85mi trip from Orlando to Tampa.

Will order the lockset and ignition module this week. Unless someone has any other idea??

Thanks!

I

1996 SL2 - 2011 to 2015

1998 SL - 2017 to 2019

2000 SW2 - 2018 to current

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GSmithFL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GSmithFL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GSmithFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 02:15 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Your alternator is no good and grease in the lock is a slow moving disaster so replacement is required unless you want to pull it out and clean it properly. DB Electric also sells alternators. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iLPpXVElU0

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 02:36 PM   #5
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really nice

1995 SC2

Did anyone try checking the battery terminal wires for stripped threads?

Have you tried checking your ground wires for corrosion or loosened wires?

Has the starter recently been replaced?

Is the cigarette lighter used frequently for charging cellhpones, an RF transmitter, or a GPS charger?

Flickering dash lights are a symptom of a failing battery connection, starter wire connections, bad ground connections, or a defective cluster.

Considering this is with a "no-start" condition, I would start with the wiring.

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote