SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2017, 08:05 AM   #61
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really nice

1995 SC2
Default Re: Oil Consumption / Burn (Looking for a Band-Aid)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eiron View Post

Sure, that's great. And my 1990 Saab with over 300,000 miles on it needs 1 qt of 'makeup' oil every 5,000 miles. How many qts of oil does the Iron Duke hold -- 4.5? So, over 20,000 miles, your Iron Duke uses 31 qts of conventional oil and 7 filters, while my 'oil burner' Saab needs .... 8 qts of full syn and 2 filters. Yeah, your plan's much better:
Capacity is 4.0 quarts with filter on that engine. But, that is fine. You keep your belief that today's engines are better, and that would be correct IF you were discussing 2-cycle gasoline engines. They are SUPPOSED to burn oil. 4-cycle engines, kinda like the ones that have been used for the last 100+ years in the automotive industry, are NOT supposed to burn oil.

And I have already crunched the numbers on this debate many, many times.

Synthetic doesn't save you any money, because of that "marketing" you keep talking about. To squeeze an extra 0.000001 mpg and only a marginal increase in OCIs, you can almost double the cost of buying conventional dino oils.

Benefits of better power? How much power, exactly? Because the only dyno test videos I have been able to find have been marketing for Royal Purple, showing an 8hp gain over stock oils. Even Oil Extreme(@$12.45/qt) doesn't show a dyno test to prove their claims of power increases from their oil. However, that link I posted shows the difference in film strength/heat resistance to be quite impressive when compared to other synthetic oils.

We get more benefits? I didn't know "Engine Replacement/Rebuild" was supposed to be part of your "Regularly Scheduled Maintenance"......

But, you are somewhat right. My family makes a lot of money off today's cars, compared to older ones. Thanks to automakers deliberately designing them to blow up every 100,000 miles, we make a lot of money on used engine sales. Chryslers are even better, because not only are we guaranteed to sell the engines, but we know if the transmissions are still good, that they will sell within DAYS of being pulled out of the scrap car/truck.

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2017, 01:43 PM   #62
Eiron
Eiron will become famous soon enoughEiron will become famous soon enough

1999 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by magician22773 View Post
I am looking for ideas on a "band-aid" fix for pretty severe oil consumption / burn issue on a 99 SL2.

So ... any ideas or suggestions? Anything that might help cut the use down for a couple months, that can be done in a couple hours in the evening while its not so unbearably hot would be appreciated.
Have you considered Auto-Rx? It's not a "quick fix," but it's something I've had good luck with in the past. My '99 SW2 has 140k mi on it and I've had to add a qt about every 1,000-2,000 mi. I just changed the oil and added Auto-Rx to see if I can reduce the amount of consumption. This guy's results look pretty promising. (No, I didn't bother checking any compression numbers on my car.) His embedded link (which takes you over to the Auto-Rx forum) gives a lot more detail about his process and results.

He's dead Jim!
You grab his tricorder, I'll get his wallet.

Last edited by Eiron; 08-09-2017 at 01:49 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Eiron's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Eiron reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Eiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 02:46 PM   #63
Tiger
Master Member
Tiger is a jewel in the roughTiger is a jewel in the roughTiger is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2

Quote:
Have you considered Auto-Rx? It's not a "quick fix," but it's something I've had good luck with in the past. My '99 SW2 has 140k mi on it and I've had to add a qt about every 1,000-2,000 mi. I just changed the oil and added Auto-Rx to see if I can reduce the amount of consumption. This guy's results look pretty promising. (No, I didn't bother checking any compression numbers on my car.) His embedded link (which takes you over to the Auto-Rx forum) gives a lot more detail about his process and results.
I have used Auto-Rx on the previous engine on the Saturn the OP is having issues with. It did nothing. Piston soak. Nada. Synthetic oil. Oil consumption doubled. The problem is this car had two engines with spotty or unknown maintenance history.

Re: Smoking. It seemed to be a issue during summer and when oil was thinned out. When I used a heavy 30 weight oil it was less or not very noticeable. I am wondering if a high mileage oil would help as another option? Not sure if the smoking is due to valve guide seals? Had smoking on last motor in summer also in its later life. Both motors used a quart per 600 to 800 miles no matter what I did. Taking RPMs to 3K or up increased consumption (this is something I rarely did). So maybe how car is being driven is contributing. I was young once. That ship has passed.

When I did plugs and wires during winter they were even and looked pretty clean. I am sad the car is struggling now.

Truth alone triumphs, not untruth.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tiger's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tiger reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 02:50 PM   #64
rbar
rbar is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2
2001 SC2

One real fix:
Re-ring and drill the extra oil returns into the oil ring lans, on the thrust side of the piston.
SYNTHETIC OIL SHOULD ALWAYS BE USED IN SATURNS. They began working with internal tolerances at the 1/ten-thousanths of an inch when nearly everyone else was still at the 1/thousandths.
Before I rebuilt, I tried treatments and of course Synthetic, Mobile One is as good as any for the money. Did improve about 1000 miles per quart, but no way to really fix the stuck oil rings and defective piston design without surgery.

Specs for drilling the holes in the piston found on previous threads, can even use a hand drill if you have a steady hand and eye.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magician22773 View Post
I am looking for ideas on a "band-aid" fix for pretty severe oil consumption / burn issue on a 99 SL2.

Some may remember this car as Tigers old SL2. From what I can recall, it had the engine replaced around 2013, with one with around 80k miles. I believe that would put the mileage of the motor at around 130k, give or take.

Our intentions are to do a complete rebuild, or look for a low mileage pick 'n pull swap. But right now, its averaging 90+ degrees outside, and my shop has no A/C. So I am looking for any good tips or tricks to slow the oil use down for just a few months so we can tackle the real repair this fall, when it won't be quite as miserable to work on the car.

My concern is that the oil use has become so severe that the car is actually going to run dry, and we all know how quickly that results in the end of motor.

The car is going through 1qt about every 100 miles. Yesterday, my son took a 200 mile interstate road trip, and topped off the oil before he left, and it was off the dipstick when he arrived.

One big difference between this car, and my current, and previous S-Series cars is that it is actually smoking while driving. Not a billowing smoke, just a constant, noticeable black/grey smoke from the tailpipe while driving. It doesn't seem to be any worse at startup, or under load ... just enough to know its there. So my assumption is, that along with the normal oil control ring issue, it is getting oil into combustion elsewhere. None of my other cars have smoked ... even my 330k mile SL1 that used 1qt every 200 miles.

So ... any ideas or suggestions? Anything that might help cut the use down for a couple months, that can be done in a couple hours in the evening while its not so unbearably hot would be appreciated.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rbar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rbar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 06:25 PM   #65
Eiron
Eiron will become famous soon enoughEiron will become famous soon enough

1999 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
I have used Auto-Rx on the previous engine on the Saturn the OP is having issues with. It did nothing. Piston soak. Nada. Synthetic oil. Oil consumption doubled. The problem is this car had two engines with spotty or unknown maintenance history.
For my own knowledge (since I just put A-Rx in mine), how long did you leave it in the engine for the 'cleaning' phase? And what kind of oil did you use with the application?

Quote:
Re: Smoking. It seemed to be a issue during summer and when oil was thinned out. When I used a heavy 30 weight oil it was less or not very noticeable. I am wondering if a high mileage oil would help as another option? ...
Did you ever try anything heavier than a 30 wt? 'High Mileage' oils are often very similar to dual-rated (diesel/gasoline) oils, in that they tend to have more robust additive packages and better resistance to shearing/thinning and 'boil-off.' They can be an excellent choice for anyone who's dual-rated shy but wants better protection for their engine.

He's dead Jim!
You grab his tricorder, I'll get his wallet.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Eiron's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Eiron reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Eiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 07:29 PM   #66
Tiger
Master Member
Tiger is a jewel in the roughTiger is a jewel in the roughTiger is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2

Quote:
For my own knowledge (since I just put A-Rx in mine), how long did you leave it in the engine for the 'cleaning' phase? And what kind of oil did you use with the application?

Did you ever try anything heavier than a 30 wt? 'High Mileage' oils are often very similar to dual-rated (diesel/gasoline) oils, in that they tend to have more robust additive packages and better resistance to shearing/thinning and 'boil-off.' They can be an excellent choice for anyone who's dual-rated shy but wants better protection for their engine.
I came here 13 years ago. It was one of the 1st things I did. Used 2 or 3 applications. Do not remember the details. I even joined the Auto-RX forum. That was when Frank of Auto RX had a lot of input to threads at BITOG. I tend to follow instructions exactly, but do not remember what oil, how long,etc.

My first engine was neglected by original owner. So much dust in engine compartment that the air holes in radiator fan motor were completely clogged. Fan died and car overheated, and after that oil consumption doubled. So it seems the overheating countered anything I tried to reduce oil consumption. Not that Auto-RX is bad. It does not make up for a neglected engine in my experience. Since you are using it I would just follow the recommended instructions and see what happens.

I did use HDEO oil, but added some thinner oil to keep it around a heavy 30 weight. Car seemed to run well with that combination. Never used high mileage oil.

I tend to follow recommendations. Before OldNuc came here many things were recommended and the science or technical data was not always there. If I could do it over I would have just put a good synthetic in both engines and call it a day. I spent over 20k to go a little over 200k on my Saturn if you count what I paid for the car and all the repairs and maintenance. Some people learn the hard way. I am one of them.

Truth alone triumphs, not untruth.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tiger's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tiger reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 08:45 PM   #67
cgg17
Advanced Member
cgg17 is just really nicecgg17 is just really nicecgg17 is just really nicecgg17 is just really nice

1995 SL2
1999 SL2

My 99 has stabilized at 500/qt and I run wolfs head 30w in the summer and 10w30 in the winter. Change it every 3000, even though it does not get too dark. Its been 500 or so miles since I changed it and it still is fairly clear. Has 85k on her all original.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cgg17's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cgg17 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cgg17 is offline   Reply With Quote