SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2017, 10:19 AM   #1
Tiger
Master Member
Tiger is a jewel in the roughTiger is a jewel in the roughTiger is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
Default Heads Up on Purolator Oil Filter Quality

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub...pics/4409061/1

Miss the forum, not the car. The 2017 Elantra is doing well. This thread at BITOG has some good info on filters. Enjoy!

Truth alone triumphs, not untruth.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tiger's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tiger reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2017, 11:16 PM   #2
jambra1
Advanced Member
jambra1 is just really nicejambra1 is just really nicejambra1 is just really nicejambra1 is just really nice

1999 SC2
1999 SL2
Default Re: Heads Up on Purolator Oil Filter Quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub...pics/4409061/1

Miss the forum, not the car. The 2017 Elantra is doing well. This thread at BITOG has some good info on filters. Enjoy!
Thanks for the link, Tiger. Hope all is well with you.

I've been using the Motorcraft FL400S for years and hope the "Ford specs" are still being kept up by the Purolator folks. Haven't had any problems yet but this post suggests being alert.

Retired July 2018
1999 SC2 - 435,023 miles
1999 SL2 - 196,163 miles

Previous
1996 SC2 and 1999 SL2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jambra1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jambra1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jambra1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 01:18 AM   #3
Tiger
Master Member
Tiger is a jewel in the roughTiger is a jewel in the roughTiger is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2

Thanks jambra1! The new car and has been a blessing. Seemed like the last repairs I did on my Saturn were physically getting to be too much for me. I am getting old.

I think the filter information is the sign of the times. New owner does things differently. As I recall Chrysler had the same problem with the German way of doing things when Daimler-Benz took over.

Last filters I bought for the Saturn were Wix (Carquest) from Rock Auto. My understanding is those are still good, but who know for how long?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Tiger reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-21-2017, 09:28 AM   #4
underthehood
Master Member
underthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
2004 VUE 2.2L

Read the BITOG thread to the end. It's a hoax! I was really beginning to doubt it as soon as the OP mentioned WIX being made in NC. NOT! They're made in China!

2006 Toyota Highlander (rare 4 cyl AWD)
2001 Toyota Highlander V6 AWD creampuff
Daughter got her own! 2005 Lexus ES330 Dream Ride

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to underthehood's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help underthehood reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
underthehood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 10:19 AM   #5
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nice

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Someone needs to post detailed information, complete with referenced diagrams, on the theory and function of industrial pleating machines and how exactly they fail. Are they that precise and tempermental?

Competition Clutch 10Lb. Flywheel. 14 stalls to date (and loving it).
Oil use is 1 ounce per 100 miles with ~230,000 miles on the engine

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bumpdraft's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 10:57 AM   #6
Tiger
Master Member

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by underthehood View Post
Read the BITOG thread to the end. It's a hoax! I was really beginning to doubt it as soon as the OP mentioned WIX being made in NC. NOT! They're made in China!
They have more than one plant:

http://www.wixfilters.com/about/plantlocations.aspx

His info on Purolator mirrors the problems of tears in the filter media people have been observing for years.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-21-2017, 11:37 AM   #7
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Lol
trolls
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub...66#Post4410084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troll
Folks, I have a confession to make.

You have all been expertly trolled.

I have to come by every couple of years and drop some [censored] on you to keep you on your toes. The "real" IGordon66 drives a 3 million mile Volvo and prefers Castrol GTX.

I'm not particularly impressed with the way Helen has decided to carry out the forum. You got rid of Frank and I see that Amsoil sponsorship is limited to Pablo now, ever since the late Gary Allan left us. But there's still something missing. In fact, the forum is dying. I would even go so far as to say it's moribund, man!

It's good to see some of you old timers on here. I'm surprised that no one has taken the impetus to start another oil forum.(Hint hint).

But back to Purolator, they're just as cruddy as they always were. I just wanted to point out how easily you folks are swayed by what one person claims to know. In my heyday Fram was garbage, and Purolator was the royale with cheese of oil filters. Now those titles have been swapped out. Why? Because a new crop of guys claim that Fram Ultra is the greatest thing since sliced bread? Those are the same guys that ran Royal Purple because they saw a bottle laying on the shelf in the background in one of the Fast and the Furious movies.

So my lesson was this: be skeptical of everything that is posted on this forum. By Molakule, by Terry Dyson (if he's still around) and by anyone even remotely connected to Scamsoil. Do your own research. This got me banned back in the Auto RX days, so I feel it's my duty to come around every few years and stir the [censored].

See you in 2020! USA
I figure oil is oil (and filters are filters) as long as they genuinely meet the specs the engine was designed for.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 11:41 AM   #8
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by underthehood View Post
Quick check of the WIX filters on hand, 51516XP and 51704, both are clearly marked on the box "Contents Manufactured in USA". The 51516XP fits the S-Series engines and the 51704 is a generic low flow side stream filter that I use as a bypass filter.

Baldwin and WIX are the leaders in consistent quality over time. If you buy bargain priced mass market competitively priced filters you have no idea what you are actually getting month to month.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 12:28 PM   #9
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nice

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Take-away messages:
1) Trolled: Look for sympathy purchases of Fram Products to intensify.

2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
Quick check of the WIX filters on hand, 51516XP and 51704, both are clearly marked on the box "Contents Manufactured in USA". The 51516XP fits the S-Series engines...
Also, "From the Affinia Family of Brands" is written on the 51516XP box.

3) I now have a casual interest in the fine-adjustment procedure of industrial filter media pleeting machinery. Beat that!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-21-2017, 01:01 PM   #10
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

The Affinia Group no longer exists. See last line under History in this link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affinia_Group

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-21-2017, 01:57 PM   #11
Tiger
Master Member

1999 SL2

I guess the moral of the story at least for me is I will continue to use OEM Filters since the dealership is changing my oil and will not have warranty concerns. I cannot trust to buy filters at Ebay or Amazon since there are so many knock-off filters.

I have proven the true the old saying "there is a sucker born every day". The thread made for a bit of excitement or a diversion on a boring Saturday. Carry on.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-21-2017, 02:04 PM   #12
OldNuc

1998 SC2

As I mentioned, there are 2 US brands that are not known for highly variable product quality. I can not say that for all of the rest. There are actually very few filter manufacturing plants around the world.

Dealers buy what they can maintain the highest markup on.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-21-2017, 02:41 PM   #13
Tiger
Master Member

1999 SL2

Quote:
As I mentioned, there are 2 US brands that are not known for highly variable product quality. I can not say that for all of the rest. There are actually very few filter manufacturing plants around the world.

Dealers buy what they can maintain the highest markup on.
I agree. My first oil change at Dealership was $23.91 and will only need two changes a year. Not driving a lot. Health issues and not having access to a garage in the future is pushing me toward dealership service. Doing it yourself and aftermarket will save money as long as you know what you are doing and what you are buying. I was not good at either. I just got Punked in the BITOG thread. I need to quit while I am ahead.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-21-2017, 03:34 PM   #14
OldNuc

1998 SC2

There is a lot of that (BS) on the internet.

Good luck with the new wheels.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-21-2017, 04:11 PM   #15
bumpdraft
Master Member

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

What is the story on AmsOil-brand oil filters? For the EcoTec engines, I just bought a bunch of AmsOil filters instead of Wix.
I believe the AmsOil oil filters are made in

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-21-2017, 11:54 PM   #16
1996SL11.9L
1996SL11.9L has a spectacular aura about1996SL11.9L has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL1

I miss my access to Baldwin filters. At the sawmill (weabers Inc or whevever they are called now) I could buy them from Truck Parts Plus at cost.....that like 3.75 for a cummins filter.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1996SL11.9L's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1996SL11.9L reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1996SL11.9L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 07:46 AM   #17
underthehood
Master Member
underthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
2004 VUE 2.2L

Every WIX product I have bought is clearly marked "Made in China" Could be they distribute from different plants to different parts of the country. It is why I stopped buying them because of the made in China issue. I try to always avoid MIC products especially after I had a trans filter fail on a Chrysler Town and Country van a number of years ago. I lost an entire trans because of that POS filter. So I am VERY skeptical of stuff made there for my car

2006 Toyota Highlander (rare 4 cyl AWD)
2001 Toyota Highlander V6 AWD creampuff
Daughter got her own! 2005 Lexus ES330 Dream Ride

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to underthehood's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help underthehood reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
underthehood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 04:49 PM   #18
Tiger
Master Member

1999 SL2

Quote:
There is a lot of that (BS) on the internet.

Good luck with the new wheels.
Thanks. My problem is my (BS) meter is broke. I am not sure it ever worked.

I do have concerns about the Hyundai after reading the thread on the Sonata recall. They went to Direct Injection, had changes in manufacturing, and who know what else that caused engines to fail. It is being sorted out now and it is not pretty.

The Elantra is what the Saturn S should have evolved into. It is well laid out. Has plenty of power. Can get over 40 mpg with an engine so smooth you have to look at the Tach to know if it is idling. It is more car than I thought I would ever have.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-22-2017, 07:49 PM   #19
OldNuc

1998 SC2

As long as it does not nickle and dime you to death with trips to the dealer to fix software bugs and lasts with only the routine maintenance it will be a good deal.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-22-2017, 09:41 PM   #20
bachands
Advanced Member
bachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to behold

2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
The Elantra is what the Saturn S should have evolved into. It is well laid out. Has plenty of power. Can get over 40 mpg with an engine so smooth you have to look at the Tach to know if it is idling. It is more car than I thought I would ever have.
I agree! If i ever upgrade to a newer vehicle, I'd really like to get an Elantra. Hell, even some of the Accents look pretty nice. They seem to be one of the only cars on the market that are still simplistic in design. I even like the ones from 2002-2006 era.

Modern Civics looks weird to me. I only like the ones from 2002-2005 (I believe that's 7th gen). Toyota Corollas from 2000-2006ish look pretty good too. Modern Corollas are alright, but I like Elantras better. Most modern cars have too many gizmos, gadgets, and "innovative" designs. I prefer the "conventional" designs that don't require a million page manual to understand.

Is that what you got? An Elantra?

Wait, just noticed your first post. Any pictures for us?

'97 SL1, 136K, Auto, Mint Green (SOLD 146K)
'99 SL2, 126K, Auto, Silver (SOLD 149K)
'97 SL1, 136K, Manual, Burgundy (Gifted to Brother 138K)
'02 SL2, 149K, Auto, Light Gray/Silver

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bachands's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bachands reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bachands is offline   Reply With Quote