|12-05-2013, 10:49 PM||#28|
Join Date: Feb 2012
Re: SL2 Water Pump Replacement w/PICS
Third time was the charm.. thanks to the original poster for the thorough step-by-step instructions.. if followed to the T, it should be no problem.
Recommendations for future amateur mechanics like myself who want to DIY:
1. If you don't have any impact tools, make sure you have the proper extensions and/or breaker bars. I managed to get away with using a 3/8" drive ratchet, a 17" breaker bar (both with 10mm sockets) and a 10mm wrench to break each bolt loose enough to where I could remove it with my hand.
2. If you change the water pump, also change the thermostat. Both require draining the coolant and doing both while draining it once is cheaper and less of a hassle than doing it separate and draining it twice.
3. Avoid doing the work in cold weather if you live in a cold-weather climate state, especially if your hands are really sensitive to the cold (go ahead, call me a wimp). Warmer weather = easier work.
4. FiremanCV's video on youtube is very thorough as well. I took his advice and used the Copper Spray-A-Gasket. I've never used RTV before but the SAG was very easy and simple to use.
5. If you have issues breaking the pulley bolts loose, get some kind of greaser spray (my cousin gave me something that he said was stronger than WD-40), spray the bolts, let it sit for 24 hours, then try again to break the bolts loose.
All in all, once everything was broken loose it was an easy fix. Took me about 2 hours, the parts cost me $35 (with a 20% discount) online, picked up in store. The local car shop that I used to take my Saturn to would be charging ballpark range of $420-$430 for just labor.
Good luck to all future DIY'ers on this job
2000 SL1: 208K miles (driven since 2005).
25ish MPG city, 33-35 Highway.
|Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)|
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|just did my timing belt/water pump with PICS!||nitroussaturn||Vue Tech||111||11-03-2018 12:10 AM|
|SL Water Pump Replacement DIY||rearviewmirror||S-Series Tech||18||11-21-2007 04:37 PM|
|Could this be my water pump leaking? (pics)||ecaryn||S-Series Tech||10||09-20-2007 12:01 AM|
|Water pump replacement for $300?||Lurker1999||Miscellaneous Tech||6||11-08-2004 10:08 PM|
|Is my water pump bad??? pics||amazinghl||Miscellaneous Tech||21||01-23-2003 10:55 AM|