SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2013, 11:50 PM   #1
satnut24
satnut24 will become famous soon enoughsatnut24 will become famous soon enough

1994 SL1
Default Anti-lock light on non abs car stays lit

Hey everyone I have a 1994 saturn sl1 and was wondering what could cause the amber anti-lock light to light up? The car does not have abs or traction control. I'm just so confused can you guys help please?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to satnut24's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help satnut24 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
satnut24 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-2013, 12:09 AM   #2
Macgyver
Advanced Member
Macgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to all

1995 SC2
2001 SL1
Default Re: Anti-lock light on non abs car stays lit

Iím surprised itís able to light up at all. I thought they donít put bulbs in the speedometer for features that donít exist in the model.

Maybe the gauge cluster was changed at one point? Either way, you could just remove the bulb from the ABS socket since it you have no ABS system for there to be a trouble for.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Macgyver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Macgyver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:12 AM   #3
satnut24

1994 SL1

Well i could do that but it just showed up after the car was sitting for a year, any other ideas?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help satnut24 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-04-2013, 07:31 AM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

If there is an ABS light on, try pulling the ABS fuse - someone may have put one in there.............

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:57 AM   #5
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Hmm, removing the ABS fuse turns ON the ABS light in an ABS-equipped car. Not sure what it would do in a no-ABS car...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:02 AM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Are you sure of this? Most of the wiring diagrams I examined seem to show the EBTCM, aka the ABS control unit as turning ON/OFF the ABS light in the instrument panel when the fuse is removed. This indicator as well as the air bag light are supposed to be wired directly from their respective modules, bypassing the pcm and any other modules. Its the only reason I sometimes suggest in some posts about troubleshooting ABS, removing the main ABS fuse to deliberately disable ABS (and turn off the ABS indicator) for testing brakes and isolating ABS issues (safely).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-04-2013, 09:18 AM   #7
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

May be a gen thing. Gen-2, the ABS light is powered by the IGN1 fuse. I've seen it come on when the ABS fuse is pulled. Gen-1 may be a simpler system as you describe. Sorry for the derail....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:34 AM   #8
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quite alright as the ABS indicator serves many purposes as our 'idiot' light and I use it in reference to ABS issues. Its reason enough for me to refer to wiring diagrams as much as possible for troubleshooting. I will have to review wiring again if you're right...............there are several ways the ABS indicates failure and I'm under the impression that removing the fuse turns off (removes all power to the ABS unit) and extinguishes the ABS light. As a totally separate subsystem to EFI, this indicator appears to be the only way to know if ABS is operating or not and in standby mode. The same for the airbag system.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-04-2013, 12:16 PM   #9
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgyver View Post
Iím surprised itís able to light up at all. I thought they donít put bulbs in the speedometer for features that donít exist in the model.
My gen 2 had ABS and Traction Control bulbs, and my car is equipped with neither. I think Saturn found it more efficient to put in extra bulbs than to separte instrument panels based on options.

Still no idea what to think about the empty spot for "Cat Over Temp"
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=154888

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 02:12 PM   #10
Macgyver
Advanced Member
Macgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to all

1995 SC2
2001 SL1

Theyíre already separated via the SOHC/DOHC speedometers with different redlines and a top MPH of 110 vs 130. Was there any SOHC model that came with ABS during that model time period?

GM could have saved 2 bulbs right there. It couldíve saved the company from bankruptcy! Lol ok, maybe not, but still a waste.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Macgyver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Macgyver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 03:34 PM   #11
gazingsoul
gazingsoul is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2

ABS has always been an independent option on every model, regardless of other options. From 1993 forward, ABS included traction control if you had an automatic transmission.

Regarding instrument clusters, there were two - one for sohc and one of dohc, thats it. While a few cents could have been saved by leaving out unneeded bulbs, having to split the cluster batches up would add far more cost to production overall. This is standard practice in the whole industry. Kinda like having one standardized wire harness for all cars, regardless of particular options (or lack thereof) on individual cars.

Are you really sure your car doesn't have abs?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gazingsoul's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gazingsoul reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gazingsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 03:38 PM   #12
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgyver View Post
Theyíre already separated via the SOHC/DOHC speedometers with different redlines and a top MPH of 110 vs 130. Was there any SOHC model that came with ABS during that model time period?
I found a note in the Saturn model history that when the sedans and wagons, both SOHC and DOHC, chose the ABS option in 94-95, the rear brakes stayed drums (guessing the coupes got rear discs with the ABS option). So my guess is that ABS was an option throughout the model line.

Quote:
GM could have saved 2 bulbs right there. It couldíve saved the company from bankruptcy! Lol ok, maybe not, but still a waste
On the plus side, built-in spares!

(there are spare fuses in the UHJB, which is cool)

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:21 PM   #13
satnut24

1994 SL1

thanks everyone pulled the fuse and light went out so every thing is good now

REWARD EXCELLENCE!