SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2013, 04:04 AM   #1
destro5
destro5 has a spectacular aura aboutdestro5 has a spectacular aura aboutdestro5 has a spectacular aura about

2002 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
2006 SKY
Default Thinking about buying a used SL2 engine? Advice?

A local mech of mine has a 94 SL2 65xxx miles engine for sale that I'm thinking about picking up cheap.

My 95 SW2 is at 136xxx miles and is currently eating a little bit of oil every 3000 miles or so and I fear for the inevitable rings to be shot diagnosis down the line & considering having this cheap engine as a back up just in case.

What should I be looking at specifically when checking out these Saturn SL used motors? Engine is completely out of the car and appears complete.

Am I crazy for thinking about putting one of these in the shed as a back up insurance plan for my beloved wagon at about $150?

Any thoughts, advice or input you guys can toss my way is ALWAYS appreciated.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to destro5's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help destro5 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
destro5 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2013, 09:07 AM   #2
TXSaturn02
Master Member
TXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL2
Default Re: Thinking about buying a used SL2 engine? Advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by destro5 View Post
Am I crazy for thinking about putting one of these in the shed as a back up insurance plan for my beloved wagon at about $150?
This varies from person to person. I would never do anything like that for various reasons. I don't have the space, the tools, expertise, nor the desire to do that type of work. You are also paying for something that you might never use. Your car might be totalled in an accident tomorrow.

Now, if working on cars is your idea of fun, that is a whole other ball game.

2002 SL2 Manual - new in November, 2001
As of 09/30/17: 223,751 Miles - SOLD
New owner report of 08/08/19: 234,408 Miles

2013 Mazda 3 HB - new in October 2012
As of 07/25/18: 51,495 Miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TXSaturn02's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TXSaturn02 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TXSaturn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:12 AM   #3
blue92
blue92 will become famous soon enoughblue92 will become famous soon enough

1992 SL1
1998 SC2

The 94 has a vacuum EGR, unless its a CA emissions. The 95 is an electric EGR.
$150 is cheap, You could prob buy it and sell it to make some $$.

92 SL1 original owner
94 SL2 Homecoming
98 SC2 White Hot
02 SC2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blue92's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blue92 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blue92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:23 AM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

You can buy an EGR adapter and fit an electric EGR on that head. Probably the hardest part is the proper storage of the engine so it will still be good.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:30 AM   #5
Recycled Saturn
Advanced Member
Recycled Saturn has a spectacular aura aboutRecycled Saturn has a spectacular aura aboutRecycled Saturn has a spectacular aura about

I would never buy an engine without hearing it run. I have taken too many of these apart that have the head or crank ruined from running the oil too low

1998 SL2-AMR Strut Bar, AEM CAI, and 119,XXX

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Recycled Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Recycled Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Recycled Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:35 AM   #6
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nice

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

I would want to take it apart, replace the timing chain and check the condition of the pistons and main bearings...and at least do a t-gauge check for bore taper.

So, it would be $150 + the cost of an overhaul gasket set and timing set. (cheap! - if it turns out to be a good engine)

If you move away from S-series, you could recoup some the $ you put into the engine. ...Like you're buying insurance.

Disclaimer: I have a spare MP2 in the basement, so I'm a little biased. I know I would never be able to sell it for anywhere near what I paid for it.

Competition Clutch 10Lb. Flywheel. 14 stalls to date (and loving it).
Oil use is 1 ounce per 100 miles with ~230,000 miles on the engine

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bumpdraft's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:16 AM   #7
destro5
destro5 has a spectacular aura aboutdestro5 has a spectacular aura aboutdestro5 has a spectacular aura about

2002 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
2006 SKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
You can buy an EGR adapter and fit an electric EGR on that head. Probably the hardest part is the proper storage of the engine so it will still be good.
OldNuc can you elaborate on this a bit? Will a shed or a basement be OK to stash this engine in or do I need to prep the engine before it goes into storage?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help destro5 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-20-2013, 02:37 PM   #8
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Engine must be prepped before storage and you need to buy one of these EGR adapters now. Contact this member as he did have some, colonelhogan44 This is the vacuum to electric EGR adapter plate.

Once properly prepped you can store it anywhere dry. I would avoid holes in the ground (basements) though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 02:40 PM   #9
Inky
Inky is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1

For a hundred and fifty smackers? Do it, your future self will thank you.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Inky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Inky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Inky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:01 PM   #10
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nice

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
...Once properly prepped you can store it anywhere dry. I would avoid holes in the ground (basements) though.
Be a firm believer in the use of a dehumidifier...

(I have dirtbikes in the basement. Plays heck on the stair treads when I ride 'em out in the spring A little something I learned while riding the mountains in Idaho)

Know that used Saturn engines can be smelly

Competition Clutch 10Lb. Flywheel. 14 stalls to date (and loving it).
Oil use is 1 ounce per 100 miles with ~230,000 miles on the engine

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bumpdraft's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:08 PM   #11
destro5

2002 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
2006 SKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpdraft View Post
Be a firm believer in the use of a dehumidifier...

(I have dirtbikes in the basement. Plays heck on the stair treads when I ride 'em out in the spring A little something I learned while riding the mountains in Idaho)

Know that used Saturn engines can be smelly
My basement is stone with brick above it. I occasionaly use a dehumidifier down there. For the most part its pretty dry, only a bit wet after a heavy storm. Shed is hot with little ventilation so not sure if that's better.

Back to what exactly would I need to do to prep this engine for a year or two of storage? Fill it with new oil? Cover the heck out of it? Old Nuc and all feel free to chime in here.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!