SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2011, 08:42 PM   #1
PanVet
PanVet is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE
2004 VUE 3.6L
Default Horn

Got a letter from Saturn/GM about a potential horn issue and the horn is now covered for 10 yrs or 120,000 miles.

I find this humorous after reading about all the sensor issues with the fuel system and other sensors going out they extend the warranty on the horn.

The horn itself is pretty weak so I never use it, that and the potential of road rage.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PanVet's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PanVet reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PanVet is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2011, 09:58 PM   #2
vanilla sky
vanilla sky is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: Horn

Yeah, we got this after our horn had stopped working. We had them check it out when it was in having the struts replaced, but it was working then and has worked since.

It tends to stop working at temperature extremes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vanilla sky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vanilla sky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
vanilla sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:00 PM   #3
internetjunkee
internetjunkee is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE

My horn stopped working early last year. The Cadillac dealership I take my car to said I needed a new one, but there were none available. I asked them to call me when they became available but of course they never followed up. After 8 months without a horn I was trying to figure out if I should dump the car (if I can't replace a horn what luck will I have w/ more important parts?) but the next time I brought the car in for a free oil change they were able to order the horn in two days and replace it in one.

Current Mods: 45% Front Tint, 18% Back, Blacked Out Badges, Silverstar Ultra Headlights, Rear Spoiler, Eibach Pro Springs, Koni FSD Shocks, VMR VB3 18" Wheels, FM-RDS Modulator for iPhone

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to internetjunkee's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help internetjunkee reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
internetjunkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:19 PM   #4
Tom S2
Advanced Member
Tom S2 will become famous soon enoughTom S2 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

is the malfunctioning horn related to the part in the steering column that affected the windshield wiper issues other people had?

Astra XR-3-5 HP - Hamster Powered!
Dealer added options, & Infinity speakers.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom S2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom S2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom S2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:17 PM   #5
Swordfish
Advanced Member
Swordfish is on a distinguished road

2009 Astra XE

IIRC when my CIM went bad, my horn stopped working... Think this fits?

Marc-Antoine

2009 Astra XE 5-door, Twilight Blue.
"I have four rules in the Astra. No food, no drink, no smoking, and no vomit. Got it? Now... let me just put my coffee in the cup holder..."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Swordfish's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Swordfish reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Swordfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:25 PM   #6
Mil
Mil is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S2 View Post
is the malfunctioning horn related to the part in the steering column that affected the windshield wiper issues other people had?
I don't think so, i replaced mine after a couple of months because it stopped working.
The horn itself was the problem, and since i didn't like the sound of this horn, i bought a more powerful one at canadian tire.
Never had any other issues with it after that part was replaced, but the oem one look pretty weak in my opinion.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mil's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mil reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:49 PM   #7
HaulAstra
HaulAstra is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

The BBC did a report on this during April of last year, and Vauxhall finally issued a statement in September. It's nice to know that Saturn finally got around to addressing the issue. The video (which unfortunately is unplayable in the US) is kinda funny because they describe how the horn is supposed to be a safety device.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/watchdog/...esnt_warn.html

I've never had a problem with the horn, but like other forum members here, my headlights will sometimes switch off briefly when the wipers are on.

2008 Saturn Astra XR 5 door, manual trans., heated seats, stability control
1991 Mercedes-Benz 560 SEL

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to HaulAstra's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help HaulAstra reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
HaulAstra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 07:37 AM   #8
OPEL Blitz
Advanced Member
OPEL Blitz is on a distinguished road

Well it is a safety device to warn others about something. I do not use it but if it does not work then my car is not permitted to use the roads here and thus reduced to a pointless and expensive lump of metal.

Despite this I will take a good inspection over the "drive whatever the hell you want without any government control of road worthiness"-method that the majority of north american states (30 US and 3 canadian) rely on. It's good that 20 US states (and 1 canadian) does have a safety inspection, but I personally question why it's not done on a federal level.

Another question that baffles me about the north american continent is the fact that you can insure a vehicle without actually insuring the people you collide with. But that's another story. No CIM-recall here in Sweden yet but if the horn gives up next time I'm at the inspection I'm sure as hell going to have Opel fix it (by my count the car now has it's 4th CIM).

Overall it's a great car but GM is in the details

2007 OPEL Astra Diesel

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OPEL Blitz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OPEL Blitz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OPEL Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 07:09 PM   #9
vanilla sky
vanilla sky is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

If you have a safety inspection in your state, you have to have a working horn to pass.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vanilla sky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vanilla sky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
vanilla sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:07 PM   #10
PIIYM
PIIYM is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE

The Horn is pathetic on this cars anyway.

2008 Astra XE - No mods, debadged daily driver
2003 Ford SVT Cobra - 8lb metco lower pulley, Western Motorsports CAI, Magnaflow Cat-Back, Custom Tune, 100 Shot of spray.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PIIYM's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PIIYM reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PIIYM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 04:01 PM   #11
SPM
SPM is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE

Sometime in the summer my horn started crapping out, sometimes you would hit it and it would honk and sometimes it wouldnt, more often than not it would work. This went on for a few months but it started not working frequently. I was over warranty by a few thousand miles. I called GM and they said I could take it into a dealer (Chevy dealer) and would have to pay for them to diagnose it and GM would pay for the repair. I didn't get a chance to take the car in for a few weeks, at this point the horn stopped working 90% of the time. I took the car into the dealer twice and they said they couldn't replicate the problem. Finally I took it in a 3rd time and they told me they took the horn apart and reassembled it. Ironically when I called GM I had mentioned to them that there was a problem with the horn in Europe and they ignored what I had to say. A few months later I got this letter in the mail.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SPM's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SPM reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:48 PM   #12
tallNewfie
tallNewfie is on a distinguished road

2009 Astra XE
2009 Astra XR

I'm still debating replacing out horn with a nice big airhorn like on a transport truck....
well, either that or la cucaracha!

~~ Bryan ~~
2009 Astra XE - manual, wired FM mod
2009 Astra XR - auto
2001 SC2 - manual, sunroof (retired)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tallNewfie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tallNewfie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tallNewfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 03:58 PM   #13
wandern
wandern is on a distinguished road

It turns out that this the TSB is to install a clamp on the edge of the CIM to keep contacts together, not to replace the CIM. We shall see about the longevity of the repair.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wandern's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wandern reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wandern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 02:00 PM   #14
Gary F.
Gary F. is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
1993 SW2

My Astra horn has not been working for a few months. Last week finally took it in to local authorized service dealer, since state safety inspection is due soon. On first visit they ordered a part, then on second visit had to order another part. Now the problem is their computer system cannot communicate with the Astra (it can communicate with all other Saturns they say), so they ordered something for their computer system. They still have the car at this time. Any information on others experiences would be helpful!

Thanks,

Gary F.

2008 Saturn Astra 5-Door XR, Arctic White, Auto, Sunroof, Sport Handling
2001 Land Rover Discovery II
1993 Saturn SW2 (gave to son at 300K mi)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Gary F.'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Gary F. reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Gary F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 11:27 PM   #15
BlueDuck
BlueDuck is on a distinguished road

@Gary F.

Hello! from a fellow North Carolinian
I just had my Astra’s horn fixed at a Chevy dealer yesterday. Though they took more than a month to get the part, my experience there was rather smooth. Like you said, when I first called them about the horn, they said, “well, we don’t know anything about Saturn horn problem so you need to make an appointment to have it diagnosed properly.” I insisted that I would only visit them when they actually have the parts ready, and surprisingly, they listened (well, I had to read the entire Saturn letter on the phone to convince them). So finally I made an appointment, dropped the car off in the morning, and was ready for pick up at 4pm. It is working fine now (hopefully won’t stop working again). The parts# listed on my invoice:Number 93196910 (description:CLAMP 6.760)
The work detail states: Special Policy 10276, Removed column trim installed clip onto CIM housing.

This was done at Hendrick automall in Durham. Maybe advise your dealer to call them for instruction? I hope yours gets fixed soon. Good luck!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BlueDuck's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BlueDuck reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BlueDuck is offline   Reply With Quote