SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2011, 03:28 AM   #1
frankv569
frankv569 is on a distinguished road

Default vibration after changing engine mounts

I replaced 3 of the 4 engine mounts with Anchor brand mounts from Rockauto.com- the only one I have yet to change is the mount beneath the crank pulley.
My problem is that I am still getting a lot of vibration. It actually feels worse than when my oem (disintegrated) mounts were in place.
Is this expected? Normal?? Has anyone else had this happen?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to frankv569's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help frankv569 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
frankv569 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2011, 03:52 AM   #2
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2
Default Re: vibration after changing engine mounts

With that brand of mount, it's entirely expected (but NOT "normal"). We've determined that "Anchor" actually refers to their best use (well, if they were heavier...).

You need an OEM top mount, for starters. For the bottom left transmission mount, there's a photo laying around here somewhere, showing how a BRAND NEW Anchor mount was actually FLATTER (less "lift") than a sagged-out compressed end-of-its-life OEM mount.

The struts ("dog-bones") aren't as critical to ride quality, but the Anchor brand are known to break. One semi-cheap option is to find a couple of dog-bones from a '98-up (or is it '99-up?) car, with the latest design, and replace the rubber inserts with Prothane urethane inserts, available online and from Summit Racing (and SDA, if memory serves). Makes the ride a little harsh, however.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:23 AM   #3
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

The 3rd design torque axis struts (dog bones) were fitted on late production 97 model year cars. And probably on all of the 98s. the life of the trans and top mount are extended greatly bey using the polly inserts in the dogbones. But if you are expecting the same level of performance/smoothness that is obtained with a 4 cylinder engine that has a dynamic balance shaft you are dreaming.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:28 AM   #4
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankv569 View Post
I replaced 3 of the 4 engine mounts with Anchor brand mounts from Rockauto.com- the only one I have yet to change is the mount beneath the crank pulley.
After you replaced the top mount, did you loosen the two bolts for the one below the crank pulley and retorque them?

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 141k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 01:10 PM   #5
SLCraig
Master Member
SLCraig is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
2000 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
The 3rd design torque axis struts (dog bones) were fitted on late production 97 model year cars. And probably on all of the 98s. the life of the trans and top mount are extended greatly bey using the polly inserts in the dogbones. But if you are expecting the same level of performance/smoothness that is obtained with a 4 cylinder engine that has a dynamic balance shaft you are dreaming.
Funny you mention this because it is incredibly obvious when I drive the 96 and then the 00, the difference in engine smoothness. The 2000 runs like a top. The 96 runs smooth looking as well from standing at the front end, but the minute you get in the car and start driving it is just not as smooth as 3rd generation's DOHC engine. If the clutch in the 3rd gen was better it would be an ideal car. I guess I'll have to change that down the road!

1996 SL2 5MT
1997 SL1 5MT
2000 SW2 5MT
All gone, but not forgotten.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SLCraig's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SLCraig reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SLCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 01:20 PM   #6
Disophisis
Disophisis is on a distinguished road

I replaced my top mount on my 93 with an Anchor brand mount something like a year and a half ago, I think. It's been doing pretty well. The motor actually had to be raised a bit with the new mount because the old one was sagging so badly.

Just thought I'd give my experience, which has been ok. the car rumbles a bit but it's a 93 saturn, so I think some is normal at least. It is better than with the previous mount though.

1993 SC2, 5sp, 144,000 miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Disophisis's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Disophisis reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Disophisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:36 PM   #7
jgcox6
jgcox6 is on a distinguished road

just changed all my mounts out...the top was OEM, the transmission mount is also OEM..AFTER I tried to cheap out on the transmission mount! The mount from NAPA was just a crappy as the other ones listed above. Lesson learned...ONLY USE OEM MOUNTS...especially the top and transmission.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jgcox6's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jgcox6 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jgcox6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:26 PM   #8
LTond56
LTond56 is on a distinguished road

Just installed a non-frowny upper mount on a friends SL.
She wanted it done right away as the current frowny mount was totally collapsed and her windows and doors were buzzing like crazy.
I stopped in at Pep Boys and was surprised to find they were selling non-frowny versions that are OEM look alikes.

No vibration and very smooth.

Hope it lasts!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to LTond56's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help LTond56 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
LTond56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 02:43 PM   #9
oakraiders24
oakraiders24 is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2

The one I got from Autozone was also non-frowny, and seemed very solid in its make. After installing, night and day difference.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to oakraiders24's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help oakraiders24 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
oakraiders24 is offline   Reply With Quote