SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Site Information > Support Forum for Canadian Saturn Owners
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2009, 11:39 PM   #1
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud of

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Default Report: Sun to Set on Saturn in Canada

A new feeditems entry has been added:

[drupal=3300]Report: Sun to Set on Saturn in Canada[/drupal]

Quote:
Tim Petruk from Kamloops this Week via BCLocalNews.com: It's the end of one era for a long-time Kamloops auto dealership. Terry Lowe, president and dealer principal of Saturn of Kamloops announced Thursday the Valleyview dealership that has been selling Saturns for almost two decades would be changing brands after Roger Penske, the new owner of the Saturn brand, decided not to carry the cars north of the 49.

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-2009, 01:13 AM   #2
saturn 51
saturn 51 is on a distinguished road

Sad Re: Report: Sun to Set on Saturn in Canada

Hey Canada dont feel bad! by the time Penske gets the different cars from who cares where,there will be less than 100 saturn facilities open. Not enough to sell rebadged french/asian autos anyway. G.M. we will never forget what you did and forsee your market share to be less than Suzuki by next june. Keep your kids off G.M. (JUST SAY NO)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturn 51's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturn 51 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturn 51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 07:07 AM   #3
leogag1
leogag1 is on a distinguished road

2009 VUE 3.6L
Default Re: Report: Sun to Set on Saturn in Canada

Is it finally clear? I haven't read it "from the mouth of the horse" yet. Is it definitive? No more Saturn in Canada...

I can already imagine the amount of lawsuits that will have to be engaged against Chevy dealers refusing to repair Saturn cars under warranty... I already know some dealers who "officially" said "no Saturn here..." I hope that the "new GM" will be CLEAR with them: YOU SHALL TREAT SATURN OWNERS LIKE CADILLAC OWNERS, NOTHING LESS!!!

I will write to GM Canada to express my fears about the fact that I will now be consider as less than nothing if I have a problem...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to leogag1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help leogag1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
leogag1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 09:04 AM   #4
AstraNorth
AstraNorth is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Just to TICK off GM dealers that will not service Saturn....go into each one of them, get them all excited that you may buy a car from them, get the paper work just about finished...and then say, "Sorry, not sure if I want the car"....and then walk out. Get a few people to do this....I guess it will not help getting service done on your Saturn, but it sounds like fun.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AstraNorth's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AstraNorth reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AstraNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 09:25 AM   #5
vzzp0c
vzzp0c is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=leogag1;1505422]Is it finally clear? I haven't read it "from the mouth of the horse" yet. Is it definitive? No more Saturn in Canada...

I can already imagine the amount of lawsuits that will have to be engaged against Chevy dealers refusing to repair Saturn cars under warranty...

Dont worry as soon as the retailer in your area is closing or on January 1sr 2010 the latest. All GM dealer will be authorized to do warranty on all Saturn. For Saab it will be a little different. Only specified dealer will be appointed to do so (a bit like Cadillac)

Yoy have to understant that as a GM customer (Saturn Owner) You are the biggest asset of The NEw GM.... [U]Be prepared to be extremely positively supprised of how they going to treath you.

Also, given that Pinske is not comming in Canada, maybe all chevy dealer will have a base price Chevy Captiva to offer in 2010 to slot under the price of the new e Equinox. Given that it would not be a problem to do the service on the vue. It will maybe be like in europe. (High end Opel Antara and base price Chevy Captive) Chevy dealewr could offer The new Equinox and a low base price only Captiva. Giving that the captiva is alreadu built in Maxico for south America, it woud not be very difficult.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vzzp0c's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vzzp0c reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
vzzp0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 10:23 AM   #6
Sival
Sival will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Yoy have to understant that as a GM customer (Saturn Owner) You are the biggest asset of The NEw GM....
As it stands, they've just lost me and probably a lot of Saturn owners. They've been wishy-washy for over a year about Saturn, and especially in Canada. All I know I learned from SaturnFans, GM never bothered to inform me or others like me of what was going on. To have the dealerships basically just close on us is the last straw. I can't say it in English here, but I suspect I can in French:

Que GM aille se faire foutre.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sival's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sival reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 01:13 PM   #7
In the Woods
In the Woods is on a distinguished road

well that's it then no more Saturn in Canada, but there will be no Saturn in the US either since the new owner will be sellin off shore stuff. This the seven Saturn 09 aura I liked it better then the Chev. I was disappointed the way the car was delivered, not up to the standard that Saturn of St Catharines has but so be it. since I live more than 100 miles from the dealer I have gone to the chev dealer for service etc. and only had one problem and that was before I got them the phone number. I will most likely take a closer look at the Chev next time or maybe one of the other two, but it will be a North America built car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to In the Woods's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help In the Woods reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
In the Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 03:29 PM   #8
MiSaturn
MiSaturn is on a distinguished road

2002 SL
1993 SL2

If the laws are anything like down here, you should expect to get your vehicles serviced for the near future. What it costs, and how long you may wait for parts however, may be another matter.

Long term, we're all in the same boat - we all own orphan cars, even though the original folks who built them are still in business, the new/old dealers won't want to handle our parts issues (if they have to come through another company). The aftermarket may be our only source of parts sometime down the road.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MiSaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MiSaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MiSaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 05:04 PM   #9
Michel1961
Michel1961 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sival View Post
As it stands, they've just lost me and probably a lot of Saturn owners. They've been wishy-washy for over a year about Saturn, and especially in Canada. All I know I learned from SaturnFans, GM never bothered to inform me or others like me of what was going on. To have the dealerships basically just close on us is the last straw. I can't say it in English here, but I suspect I can in French:

Que GM aille se faire foutre.
Absolument (absolutely for the rest of the crowd here).

I hate to say it, but I guessed it right. Then again, it would rather have seen something else.

My '07 XE is a lease and they either get it back in 2 years or they give it to me for free. By then, it won't be worth the paper my contract is written on. What would I do with this car with no future ? What service will I get once the warranty has expired ?

And what will they do with it once they have it ? I guess we'll see a lot of pizza delivered in fairly recent Saturns soon.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Michel1961's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Michel1961 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Michel1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 06:24 PM   #10
SaturnSdn
Master Member
SaturnSdn will become famous soon enoughSaturnSdn will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-3 Sedan
2007 ION-3 Sedan

Saturn gone in Canada .... well that will clear alot of the crying from this site.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnSdn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnSdn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnSdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 07:24 PM   #11
BIGDODO
BIGDODO is on a distinguished road

This is a sad ending to a successful vehicle in Canada. Unfortunately, my dealer was not honest with me and basically guaranteed me that Saturn would be around. Now look. All I could do is take their word. Maybe it isn't their fault the dealer principal was probably feeding false hopes to them. Shame on those owners who weren't honest. I probably knew more than them, they all thought Penske bought Canada originally, and that is what they were telling people.

My own fault, now I am stuck with a new Saturn that will depreciate with the likes of a Daewoo.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BIGDODO's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BIGDODO reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BIGDODO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 07:53 PM   #12
guy_450
guy_450 will become famous soon enough

2001 SW2

The Canadian adventure took a SADTURN today. I can understand the Penske's position, they will have their hands full for the next coming years but imho, it is a sad move for their past/present Canadian Saturn lovers. Lot of jobs loss too. Triste fin (Sad end).

The aftermarket and local mechanic will have to become our best new friend to take care of our beloved Saturn's. Not sure how much time & cost effective will be Penske (USA) as Saturn parts supplier for GM Canada for repair under warranty. Image how will it be at the once the warranty is over...

I wish Penske to succeed in the USA to bring back the glory days of the Saturn brand. GM missed a huge opportunity here, slowly starved(?) the Saturn we loved at the turn of 21st century to become like any other of the old GM branches before the "new" GM discarded it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to guy_450's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help guy_450 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
guy_450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 08:04 PM   #13
scotsman
scotsman is on a distinguished road

2009 Astra XE
2003 VUE 3.0L

Another chapter closes on the disaster that is GM. Took a good thing (Saturn) and flushed it down the drain imo.
Too bad the S cars aren't around now, they certainly got the mileage that everyone is trying to shoot for!
I remember our first one went out the door at just under $12K. Can't by squat for that anymore, lol!

We've owned 7 Saturns so far (6 S cars and a Vue)

Trying to hang on the last 3 for as long as possible.
2000 SL2: 215,000 miles
2003 Vue: 189,000 miles
1996 SL1: 127,000 miles

2009 Aura XE
2003 Vue AWD 3.0
2000 SL2 5spd
1996 SL1 Auto
Former Saturns:
1999 SW2 5spd
1997 SL1 5spd (1st Saturn!)
1994 SL2 5spd

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to scotsman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help scotsman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
scotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 09:48 PM   #14
chillin05VUE
chillin05VUE is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L

I was a die-hard GM guy but now.....They had a good thing going for them. When they killed off Olds, GM came up with a slogan for the Olds that were still under the factory warranty: GM built, GM back". Meaning that you could go to any GM dealer and have warranty work done. Let's see if the same holds true for Saturn Canada

I'm just going to stick with my VUE and call it good once I have it paid off. One good thing is that if Saturn America does fold in a few years, I can always take it to Honda to get worked on and for powertrain parts.

For all of those who speak French:
Si GM gardera visser nous avec aucune Vaseline, ils pourraient nous embrasser au moins après

"Remember, if the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" -Red Green

2005 VUE V6 AWD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to chillin05VUE's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help chillin05VUE reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
chillin05VUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 11:54 PM   #15
Sival
Sival will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillin05VUE View Post
Si GM gardera visser nous avec aucune Vaseline, ils pourraient nous embrasser au moins après
Ah, the fun of automatic translations, how they slaughter other languages.

While in English "screwed" has two meaning, one using a screwdriver and the other using a tool that half the population has, the two meanings don't share the same verb in French. The verb you used retained only the "tightening a screw" version.

A real translation would be:

Si GM continue de nous fourrer sans Vaseline, il pourrait au moins nous embrasser après.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sival's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sival reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 01:16 AM   #16
chillin05VUE
chillin05VUE is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sival View Post
Ah, the fun of automatic translations, how they slaughter other languages.

While in English "screwed" has two meaning, one using a screwdriver and the other using a tool that half the population has, the two meanings don't share the same verb in French. The verb you used retained only the "tightening a screw" version.

A real translation would be:

Si GM continue de nous fourrer sans Vaseline, il pourrait au moins nous embrasser après.
Thanks, I tried

"Remember, if the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" -Red Green

2005 VUE V6 AWD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to chillin05VUE's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help chillin05VUE reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
chillin05VUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 01:30 AM   #17
Bluemax
Bluemax is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE

I have just checked GM Canada web site and compare to one week ago they added 1000$ off on the 2009 Saturn Astra !

Now it's 5000.00$ cash rebate + 1000$ loyalty + another 895$ (only for the XE and only from the dealers of Greater Montreal) and I am sure that with what's going on with Saturn leaving Canada, the no-haggle policy doesn't apply anymore.

But 6895$ cash rebate is still not enough to clear the cars especially that in Canada the GM reward card allows only 750.00$ CAD to be applied on a Saturn Astra.

If they want to clear the cars ASAP they should give them at 50% discount.

At that price I will buy one for myself and leave the 5dr XE to the wife.

My choice will be an XR3 Black 5 speed, summer car only !

Last edited by Bluemax; 08-29-2009 at 01:44 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bluemax's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bluemax reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bluemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 05:38 AM   #18
Maritime Storm
Advanced Member
Maritime Storm has a spectacular aura aboutMaritime Storm has a spectacular aura about

2003 ION-2 Sedan

I hate to say this, the writing was on the wall months ago. Penske invited the US dealers to join his organization and did nothing up here. My local dealer sold themselves to the owner of the local Hyundai dealer and lost about half their salespeople to other GM dealers, anyone watching locally knew this coming months ago. What's next for Saturn Canada? Nothing I feel sorry for those dealers who have put their heart and soul into their dealerships, most will survive selling something else.

Save the Earth, Ban Slushboxes!!!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Maritime Storm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Maritime Storm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Maritime Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 08:57 AM   #19
vzzp0c
vzzp0c is on a distinguished road

Si GM gardera visser nous avec aucune Vaseline, ils pourraient nous embrasser au moins après[/QUOTE]

The real frenche translation of what you mean (by the way I understant it anyway, Good to see that you are at least that good)

Si GM continue de nous fourrer sans vaseline...au moin ils pourraient nous embrasser après.

By the way, GM is not screwing us. They were only in surviving mode because of an economic situation (Brought by wallstreet). The new GM was already in the way since a couples of years but the chap 11 help them fixed it faster. As per the Saturn situation, GM make thing easier. All saturn owner would be able to go at any New GM store and all the best product Saturn as will be Chevy or buick. They will be only one brand for first price (to fight Toyota) and one brand to be an euro like link with Opel that will be buick (to fight Acura and Infiniti) If you want the real example see the Opel or Vauxall Insigna that will be the next Buick Regal....What a great car. It will be easy to forget the Aura with that car and at lease Buick have already that High end image brand. for those that want a cheap honest car with great value, they will see a lot of new positive things in the future Chevy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vzzp0c's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vzzp0c reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
vzzp0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 08:58 AM   #20
steadler
steadler is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

Keep in mind that Penske's Saturn Motors Company has no guaranty that it will succeed competing with all the other brands including the New Gm.

As far as Canada, a different group of investors could be distributors of the Penske Saturn.

The state of Saturn owners is not better or worst than the Pontiac, Oldsmobile... owners IMO.

2008 AURA XE 3.5
TECHO GRAY
mfg june '08

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to steadler's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help steadler reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
steadler is offline   Reply With Quote