SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2017, 12:15 AM   #1
Ksm530fal
Ksm530fal is on a distinguished road

Dizzy Please help. Car acts up after reaching normal operating temp.

Hi, I have 1998 saturn sl2 twin cam with about 154000 miles that I purchased a few months Go. Of course when I bought it the guy assured there was nothing wrong with it. my first trip out of town I noticed as soon as the car reached normal temp range( temperature gage in the middle) it acts as if it's running out of gas. Eventually it dies in drive so I pull over. But now when I try to start the car back up, nothing happens... Eventually I get it home and let it sit for an hour or two before I try to start it up and BAM! It starts right back up running perfectly normal. So I take it to AutoZone to test starter system and everything passes. But they did notice I had a leaky valve cover gasket. Also P0131 CODE popped up when they plugged in the scanner so I go ahead and replace the o2 sensor and STILL, same problem... I did some resarch on my own and found out that Saturn ECT sensors and wiring commonly become faulty so i replaced those as well but STILL the problem occures. IDK what the issue is. The car runs perfectly fine as long as i don't drive it for long periods of time where the car heats up to normal range. Lucky im able to make it to work and back but eventually I want to be able to take it out of town. CAN ANYONE HELP ??

Other things I didn't mention...thermostat is stuck open. Broken overflow cap. I've never heard radiator fan kick on. And as far as the valve cover issue there is no major oil loss. Oh and I even checked to see if fuel pump was delivering and had pressure by pressing down on a Schrader valve and can even hear it turn on.

ANYONE ??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ksm530fal's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ksm530fal reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ksm530fal is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2017, 06:54 AM   #2
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to behold

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia

2001 SL1
Default Re: Please help. Car acts up after reaching normal operating temp.

Welcome to the Forum.

Most likely, whenever a car dies when engine is hot, and then will restart whenever like a half hour cooling down is symptomatic of a bad CPS, crankcase position sensor. It is cheap, and replacement should cure that problem.

15 years ago, a friend sold me a car for a dollar.
That vehicle would constantly strand me when the engine got hot.... I would await a tow, and sure enough it would always cool down enough that the tow truck operator would just start the car and drive it up onto the truck bed.
No one ever 'solved' it for me and I eventually just donated it for junk.

Now, after being on this forum, I believe I could have saved that car based on all the great help I have received from many, many patient and kind fellow Saturn owners.

Let us know how it turns out for you.

Last edited by toggenburg; 09-26-2017 at 07:00 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 07:07 AM   #3
BV22
Master Member
BV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of light

2002 SC1

Another possibility is a clogged catalytic converter. When mine plugged, the car would run great until the temperature needle got close to normal operating temperature, after which is ran horribly and would not pull at all. Driving with the front O2 sensor removed can prove or disprove this, as it allows exhaust to escape. Take precautions to prevent the hot exhaust from melting anything under the hood, if you try this.

BV22
2002 SC1 5M
298k 10/17

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BV22's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BV22 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BV22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 07:12 AM   #4
Highmile
Highmile will become famous soon enoughHighmile will become famous soon enough

1995 SL1

I second the CPS.

Easy to test... let it run until it quits and then spark test the coils by pulling the spark plug wires off the coils and having a friend crank the engine. No spark = bad cps normally.

Highmile
'95 SL1 640k and counting

Highmile
95 sl1 496k (rebuilt engine)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Highmile's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Highmile reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Highmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 07:53 AM   #5
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

As I was reading the OP (and before reading any responses), I was thinking, "that sounds like a CPS", so I third the suggestion.

IIRC, it's just one 10mm bolt, but a few people had problems getting it in straight or something (in once case, a bug got in there). Located above/behind the starter at the back of the block. The callout for it is in the bottom left of the diagram here

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...79&postcount=2

Quote:
thermostat is stuck open. Broken overflow cap.
Good excuse to backflush, replace tstat, and cap, and add fresh antifreeze. Replacing coolant is always a good idea anyway, on a new-to-you car.

Quote:
I've never heard radiator fan kick on.
That might actually be normal. A healthy SL2 has a very efficient cooling system.

One day, I was stuck in traffic on a construction detour. I was startled by a strange, loud (to me) 'roaring' noise under the hood, about a year or two after I got my '98. After a brief panic, I realized it was the fan coming on for the first time since I owned it.

You sound like you know what you are doing, so you may not need the richpin video for how to test your fan, but here's a link anyway
https://www.google.com/search?q=how+...ddress&ie=&oe=

Quote:
And as far as the valve cover issue there is no major oil loss.
You've probably seen the dire warnings to check your oil frequently (every gas fillup for a while) and to keep it at or slightly above the FULL mark. The procedure for gasket replacement is on here (with warnings that torque for the bolts is in inch-lbs, and one of the big name manuals (Chiltons?) lists an incorrect torque of 21 ft.lbs or something which will lead to broken bolts. Though if the cover is warped a gasket may not solve the leak.

Getting an aluminum cover is a permanent fix for the issue
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...turninin+valve

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 10:57 PM   #6
Ksm530fal
Ksm530fal is on a distinguished road

Hi, and thanks everyone for all of the input. Another thing I forgot to mention.. one time after driving the car untill it had it's episode, after I waited a while for it to cool down, it eventually started but right after it had a nasty rotten egg smell( not very strong smell but enough for me to notice it) for a minute or so but then went away ...symptom of a bad cat or bad fuel pressure regulator right? But would this cause the problems that im having (because it only happened once) ?? Idk. Thanks again and I'll keep you updated ...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ksm530fal's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ksm530fal reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ksm530fal is offline   Reply With Quote