SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2011, 04:13 PM   #1
jbmmax
jbmmax is on a distinguished road

Default 2004 Saturn Vue Radiator Drain Plug?

I would like to purchase a radiator drain plug for my 2004 Saturn Vue V6 350L AWD. I have looked everywhere for this plug without success. The radiator schematic at the local Chevy dealer that now supports Saturn in my area showed a different plug than used on my vehicle (it had a wing-nut type method to tighten the drain plug where mine uses a screw-driver to tighten the slotted plug top). I have checked on the web, local part stores, and both Honda and Chevy without success. I even checked with a rather large junk yard here in Maryland and they told me that there are few Vue's on lots because folks tend to rebuild them and keep them on the road.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jbmmax's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jbmmax reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jbmmax is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-2011, 05:29 PM   #2
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: 2004 Saturn Vue Radiator Drain Plug?

Does your plug leak?

I was really surprised first time I tried to drain a Vue radiator. I expected to unscrew the silly petcock from the side (screwdriver notch type) and have fluid come out of what I thought was the bottom drain.

Nope - the fitting on bottom is not part of drain but is a lower support / alignment pin for the radiator.

So, as I loosened the plug the fluid streamed out the side - around the petcock - and the first pint or so, cleverly missed the catch-pan I'd so carefully situated.

BTW .. if the petcock is leaking - do you suppose you could completely remove to see if there's a replaceable o-ring or gasket?

I rarely visit forum but respond to private messages (PM). PM creates email to phone & please include email address with question. Avoid using Visitor Message feature ... I almost never check those.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 01:14 AM   #3
col_dude190
Advanced Member
col_dude190 has a spectacular aura aboutcol_dude190 has a spectacular aura aboutcol_dude190 has a spectacular aura about

2006 VUE Red Line
2004 ION-3 Quad Coupe

The part number is 22664738. It's listed online for $25.65 plus shipping and handling. The link to the part can be found below:

http://parts.nalleygmc.com/showAssem...modelYear=2006

That just seems like a ridiculously high price for a radiator drain plug, and if you buy it from your local dealer it will probably be even more. You might try finding a local radiator shop and taking your drain plug to them and seeing if they have something that's close to the size and shape of the original plug. Most good radiator shops will have a stock pile of various sizes of drain plugs for most makes and models. It might not be a perfect match, but I would be willing to bet that they will have something that will work and for a lot less than the dealer part. Best of luck!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to col_dude190's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help col_dude190 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
col_dude190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 10:54 AM   #4
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

If you removed it and it's leaking?

Make sure it's threaded properly and fully seated. I would remove it and reinsert it and make sure you have it screwed in enough that it's seated.

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 06:16 PM   #5
jbmmax
jbmmax is on a distinguished road

Thanks for your input. The part that you suggest sure looks correct and I will be off to the Chevy dealer this week.

I would also like to thank the others that gave me input and say that my drain plug was leaking badly and had been damaged by the shop that did a flush and fill for me. I ended up using plumbers tape on the threads and putting the thing back into the radiator. It is now holding but I want to get a new dreain plug to have on hand for the next time around since it is getting more difficult to get parts for Saturn as time goes on. The folks that did the flush and fill for me badly damaged the screw-driver slots and it is almost impossible to tighten the plug that I have now.

Thanks much to you all for your comments and suggestions.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jbmmax's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jbmmax reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jbmmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 07:25 PM   #6
col_dude190
Advanced Member
col_dude190 has a spectacular aura aboutcol_dude190 has a spectacular aura aboutcol_dude190 has a spectacular aura about

2006 VUE Red Line
2004 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmmax View Post
Thanks for your input. The part that you suggest sure looks correct and I will be off to the Chevy dealer this week.

I would also like to thank the others that gave me input and say that my drain plug was leaking badly and had been damaged by the shop that did a flush and fill for me. I ended up using plumbers tape on the threads and putting the thing back into the radiator. It is now holding but I want to get a new dreain plug to have on hand for the next time around since it is getting more difficult to get parts for Saturn as time goes on. The folks that did the flush and fill for me badly damaged the screw-driver slots and it is almost impossible to tighten the plug that I have now.

Thanks much to you all for your comments and suggestions.
Just as an FYI, for the next time that you want to have the coolant changed either on your Vue or on another vehicle, I would highly suggest that you tell them to simply remove the lower radiator hose to drain the coolant instead of messing with the drain plug. It seems more and more common that the cheap plastic radiator drain plugs used on a lot of modern vehicles don't hold up well to abuse, especially when a shop isn't vary careful about removing and reinstalling the drain plug. The lower radiator hoses are usually a lot easier to remove and serve the same general purpose of draining the coolant and that way you prevent damage to your drain plug/radiator.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help col_dude190 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-11-2011, 09:08 PM   #7
Saturn-Naut
Saturn-Naut is on a distinguished road

Thumbs Up Re: 2004 Saturn Vue Radiator Drain Plug?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn-Naut's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn-Naut reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn-Naut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 03:25 PM   #8
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by col_dude190 View Post
The part number is 22664738. It's listed online for $25.65 plus shipping and handling.

That just seems like a ridiculously high price for a radiator drain plug, and if you buy it from your local dealer it will probably be even more. You might try finding a local radiator shop and taking your drain plug to them and seeing if they have something that's close to the size and shape of the original plug. Most good radiator shops will have a stock pile of various sizes of drain plugs for most makes and models. It might not be a perfect match, but I would be willing to bet that they will have something that will work and for a lot less than the dealer part. Best of luck!
col_dude190 - thats a great piece of research to find an obscure little valve and excellent advice on how to obtain a reasonable substitute.

I rarely visit forum but respond to private messages (PM). PM creates email to phone & please include email address with question. Avoid using Visitor Message feature ... I almost never check those.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 03:38 PM   #9
col_dude190
Advanced Member

2006 VUE Red Line
2004 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by far2grumpy View Post
col_dude190 - thats a great piece of research to find an obscure little valve and excellent advice on how to obtain a reasonable substitute.
Well thank you sir. It's all in the interest of keeping another Vue on the road

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-20-2015, 10:47 AM   #10
dm919
dm919 is on a distinguished road

I wish I had read this before I did a coolant flush. My drain plug is pretty much stripped all the way, and I can only tighten/loosen it with a quarter. It is also leaking a little bit after I shut the engine off. I just ordered a new drain plug from Rock Auto, and will put some plumber's tape on the threads just in case. From now on, I will only drain the coolant from the hose.

Rock Auto is WAY cheaper than the stealership, btw:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dm919's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dm919 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dm919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 05:40 PM   #11
Vue Daddy
Vue Daddy is on a distinguished road

Did this Rockauto petcock work out for you? I need to buy one and want to make sure it worked out.

Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Vue Daddy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Vue Daddy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Vue Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote