SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2006, 09:57 PM   #1
NorthernIon
NorthernIon is on a distinguished road

Default The darn head-rests

I bought my 03 Saturn Ion 2 years ago and I am finally fed up with the head rests. They are the most uncomfortable headrests in the world. In fact, I find the entire bucket seats horrible. But the seats aside:

1. Does anyone know how to pop these headrests out?
2. Will any of the other Saturn vehicle headrests fit the 03 Ion 2?

Jeff

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NorthernIon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NorthernIon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NorthernIon is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2006, 01:24 AM   #2
SaturnManiac
Master Member
SaturnManiac is on a distinguished road

Default Re: The darn head-rests

I don't think headrests from any other Saturn would work. I'd check eBay or something like that for replacement headrests, I'm sure they are out there somewhere.

R.I.P. - My 1996 Saturn SL2, "Psycho" - 7/95-2/17/06

R.I.P. - My 2000 Saturn SL2, "Sexy" - 11/24/99-8/05/08

If you're a car begging for your life, wouldn't you want someone to add fluids?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnManiac's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnManiac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 05:58 PM   #3
cdp326
Master Member
cdp326 is on a distinguished road

Try some Chevy Cobalt (and Pontiac Pursuit/G5) headrests. They are a solid type, not with holes like the ION. AFAIK, the headrests weren't changed when they put out the new seats for the 2005 model year, and those '05+ seats were the same as in the Cobalt and Pursuit/G5, so they likely will fit. (The seats themselves should fit as well.)

"It's a car. We've invented the Pontiac Aztek."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cdp326's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cdp326 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cdp326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 06:19 PM   #4
davidsky
Master Member
davidsky will become famous soon enoughdavidsky will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan

How can headrests be uncomfortable?

Member of the Crank Window Club

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to davidsky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
davidsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 06:26 PM   #5
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member
VTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enoughVTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enough

I would never buy a car with those awful donut style head restraints.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VTHokie00SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VTHokie00SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VTHokie00SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 07:43 PM   #6
Pete93SL1M
Pete93SL1M is on a distinguished road

If you are actually resting your head on the head restraints while driving you are not sitting correctly. Those are to keep your head on your shoulders should you get rear-ended, not for use as a pillow.

..aka GMinTheDriveway
Former Saturn Sales Consultant
Give me choices in powertrain, great handling and decent MPG and I will buy a Saturn again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Pete93SL1M's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Pete93SL1M reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Pete93SL1M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 07:51 PM   #7
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member
VTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enoughVTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete93SL1M
If you are actually resting your head on the head restraints while driving you are not sitting correctly. Those are to keep your head on your shoulders should you get rear-ended, not for use as a pillow.
Still, it seems that in an accident your head would go through the head restraint somewhat, with the loads being concentrated around the perimeter of that stupid donut head restraint.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VTHokie00SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VTHokie00SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VTHokie00SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 10:50 PM   #8
Gawd
Gawd is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe

I got these Recaro headrest pillows that you just put overtop the headrests... and they are comfortable!!!

$25 CAD.

"We're busy, busy... breeding, building, buying."
---------------------------------------
Concrete: The Human Dilemma #1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Gawd's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Gawd reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Gawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 07:10 PM   #9
davidsky
Master Member
davidsky will become famous soon enoughdavidsky will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokie00SL2
I would never buy a car with those awful donut style head restraints.
Why not and what kind do you prefer?

Member of the Crank Window Club

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to davidsky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
davidsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 03:43 PM   #10
lgodave
lgodave will become famous soon enough

2003 ION-3 Sedan

I have the seat/head rest covers on my 03 ION-3.

So I don't notice the "hole" that seems to bug some. Are there drivers that can fit their head in it? If so I'd say you have problems....

The Head Rest should be adjusted as recommended in the manual so that you aren't seriously injured in a crash. I know in my 87 Cutlass Supreme I left the rests in the "down" position when they probably should have been raised to about half or full position. Thankfully I didn't have to test them to see if I would break my neck in an accident.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lgodave's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lgodave reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lgodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 10:24 AM   #11
jef
jef is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Still, it seems that in an accident your head would go through the head restraint somewhat, with the loads being concentrated around the perimeter of that stupid donut head restraint.
Unless you have a tiny head and it goes all the way through, the load distribution around the perimeter is probably better for you - more surface area - than with a single point of a solid headreast.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jef's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jef reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 01:06 PM   #12
CarNut
Advanced Member
CarNut is on a distinguished road

2004 ION Red Line

As to your first question, there is a tiny hole in the side of one of the plastic "stake pockets" the headrest posts slip into. You need to insert a pin (large paper clip or small nail) into the hole to release them.

The Recaro headrest from the Redlines will fit perfectly. They are filled solid. That worked to my advantage when I bought the Redline. My wife hates headrests with a hole in the center. So the Redline option was a must.
The seats were improved for 05 but I think it was all in the lower cushion. In theory you could just swap out the lower cushion. But I think there were changes upolstery fabric as well as style. You probably won't be able to match the door panels or rear seats with any option. And FYI, complete Redline seats are frequently available on ebay for around $600 delivered.
One thing you might try is lifting the front edge of the lower cushion for more thigh support. The lower cushion sits in a metal pan that bolts to the seat frame. With longer bolts and spacers, you can easily raise it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CarNut's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CarNut reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 03:30 PM   #13
saturn_69
Master Member
saturn_69 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Yes, that stupid head restraint that Recaro used in the 80's and 90's, which is very similar to the one used by Audi until recently. It's a head restraint. Who cares what it looks like? I admit, they could look better, but they didn't sway my decision to buy the car.

"That government is best which governs not at all; and when men are prepared for it, that will be the kind of government which they will have" - H.D. Thoreau

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturn_69's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturn_69 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturn_69 is offline   Reply With Quote