SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-14-2003, 12:04 PM   #1
max1
max1 is on a distinguished road

Happy New Saturn Fan

I just got my first Saturn, and I think I like it! It is a 94 sl1 with 161,000 on it. It was rear-ended and would't start so a friend of mine gave it to me because his insurance settled with him and he bought a new Saturn and he wanted it out of the street. I took it home and fixed the body and put a new battery in and it seems to run great. I put NGK plugs and new wires on, changed oil and filter, used Castrol 5w30 and added a quart of Costol oil treatment. I bought a new fuel filter but haven't put it on yet, it looks a little hard to get to. I also stuck some pads on the front. The rear shock brackets are makeing some noise but the struts look ok so I will do that latter. The heat stays mainly below 1/4 so I will put a new stat in and maybe a water pump sometime. I took it on a little trip and it got 34 mpg which I thought wasn't bad. I am going on a longer trip this weekend to Branson to do some trout fishing, that should be a good test for it. It is a fun car to drive. I like the stick shift, but it is alot more sensitive then my biger cars, like driveing a go-cart. I put 34 lbs in the tires to start, what is the best for mph? Are there any other things I need to do to it or watch out for? Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to max1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help max1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2003, 01:11 PM   #2
WHITE98SL2
Advanced Member
WHITE98SL2 is on a distinguished road

concrats on getting into the Saturn. The early Saturns are very reliable and seem to take abuse well. good luck.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to WHITE98SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help WHITE98SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-14-2003, 01:24 PM   #3
Pete93SL1M
Pete93SL1M is on a distinguished road

Watch out for oil consumption. The 1.9 is notorious for consuming oil between changes. Best to check the level at least every other fill-up so you know if you'll need to add any between changes. Mine uses about 1QT/2000 miles
Congrats and welcome to the board!

..aka GMinTheDriveway
Former Saturn Sales Consultant
Give me choices in powertrain, great handling and decent MPG and I will buy a Saturn again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Pete93SL1M's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Pete93SL1M reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-14-2003, 02:58 PM   #4
HiWire
HiWire is just really niceHiWire is just really niceHiWire is just really niceHiWire is just really niceHiWire is just really nice

2001 SC2
Default Mileage with your Saturn

According to my manual (2001 Saturn SC2 on Firehawk GTA's), the recommended tire pressure is 30 for the front, 26 for the rears. So maybe 34 on all tires is a bit high for general driving. They probably recommend these pressures because the car doesn't weigh very much, but it probably varies with other tires.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to HiWire's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help HiWire reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread