SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > 2008 Vue
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2008, 09:08 AM   #1
gmsuv
gmsuv will become famous soon enough

2008 VUE 3.6L
Default Shift Pattern on and XR

Can someone explain why the shift pattern on some automatic 2008 XR Vues are in a straight line and some have an offset to the left when shifting to "M"?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gmsuv's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gmsuv reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gmsuv is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2008, 09:45 AM   #2
mrgto
mrgto will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Shift Pattern on and XR

TAPshift manual shift control, on the console mounted shift lever allows for manual shifting.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mrgto's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mrgto reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mrgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 01:34 PM   #3
gmsuv

2008 VUE 3.6L

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgto View Post
TAPshift manual shift control, on the console mounted shift lever allows for manual shifting.
I understand but I also have a up/down shift button on my shift lever on the center console which does the same thing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help gmsuv reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-24-2008, 01:36 PM   #4
mrgto
mrgto will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmsuv View Post
I understand but I also have a up/down shift button on my shift lever on the center console which does the same thing.

One is TAP shift...tap up and tap down

The other, yours, is just to change gears or go in and out of OD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mrgto's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mrgto reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mrgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 03:22 PM   #5
gmsuv

2008 VUE 3.6L

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgto View Post
One is TAP shift...tap up and tap down

The other, yours, is just to change gears or go in and out of OD
OK thanks for clearing up the difference for me.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-24-2008, 09:31 PM   #6
Kooler King
Advanced Member
Kooler King is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmsuv View Post
I previously owned an XR with "tap-shift", as well as, test drove one with the standard button-on-knob.

Both do exactly the same thing with respect to controlling the electronic shift input ... the difference is the tap-shift's "look & feel" provides more of an illusion of manual shifting than does the button and it can be accomplished with less fumbling to find & actuate the small button.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kooler King's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kooler King reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Kooler King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 02:18 AM   #7
Bunshaw
Bunshaw is on a distinguished road

Kooler King is correct here. If you test drive the XR with tap shift and one without the transmission logic is the same for the most part. It doesn't provide any noticeable speed in shifting or allow any more control than the shifter with the rocker switch. It still will not let you downshift more than the engine can handle. I tried. I didn't test to find out if it allows upshifting enough to lug/stall the engine or not though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bunshaw's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bunshaw reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bunshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 11:59 AM   #8
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kooler King View Post
I previously owned an XR with "tap-shift", as well as, test drove one with the standard button-on-knob.

Both do exactly the same thing with respect to controlling the electronic shift input ... the difference is the tap-shift's "look & feel" provides more of an illusion of manual shifting than does the button and it can be accomplished with less fumbling to find & actuate the small button.
Kooler King - did I miss something... you traded in your VUE for an Aura?

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 10:11 PM   #9
Bunshaw
Bunshaw is on a distinguished road

Wow, I missed that one too. If he did, you can't blame him. He was never satisfied with the mileage.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bunshaw's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bunshaw reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bunshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 05:44 AM   #10
Kooler King
Advanced Member
Kooler King is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyP View Post
Kooler King - did I miss something... you traded in your VUE for an Aura?
yep ... with the price of gas passing $4.25 / gal in NY, I was looking forward to at least $6000 in annual fuel costs ... I commute 100 miles, round trip, to work.

I never could do better than 19 MPG with my XR Vue, so I briefly considered a 2008 GL with its 32 MPG potential, but recent reports don't reflect too well on its actual MPG in a true highway mode ... 23 ~ 24 MPG ... not much better than a 4-cylinder Vue XE. Also, the 2009 2-mode Hybrid is not likely to be available in any real quantity for a while, so I didn't consider than an option.

Several co-workers have Auras and love them ... it got me thinking. The 4-cylinder has rating 22/30 for 2008, real-world 30+ mpg reported by some in the Aura forum. Saturn was given a whopping $2000 incentive on the Aura for June, and I was able to use my supplier discount as well. I checked a couple of Saturn dealers, and one gave me a decent trade-in value for my Vue.

Bottom line, I was able to get an Aura (with known, reliable MPG) for $8000 ~ $9000 less than a Vue GL. The numbers just lined-up for me.

At least I stayed within the Saturn family

PS: The Aura is still under 1000 miles and not broken in, but I am looking at 27 ~ 28 MPG ... this will save me at least $2000 annually in fuel costs.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kooler King's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kooler King reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Kooler King is offline   Reply With Quote