SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 09-15-2011, 09:09 AM   #1
Dalamar
Dalamar is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
Wrench What problems can be diagnosed / fixed under the valve cover / timing cover?

I believe I have timing chain problems, so I will at some point be pulling the valve cover off to see if the cam gears line up properly using the drillbit test, and of course just looking for obvious slack in the chain. Anyway, since I'm going to have the cover off, is there anything else I should look for or evaluate while I'm in there?

I know that timing problems can cause damaged valves if the pistons hit them. Can this be determined from above, or does it require removing the head to examine them from below?

If I end up doing the timing chain, I know it is recommended to replace the oil pump at the same time just since you have access to it. Is there anything else like that that I should plan on doing while I have it all apart, whenever that ends up being? In particular, should I mess with the lifters if they aren't making any obvious noise? Is examining or cleaning them considered common preventative maintenance?

I figure if I am going to be taking things apart, I only want to do it once if possible. Thanks for any suggestions anyone can provide.
Dalamar is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-2011, 09:42 AM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: What problems can be diagnosed / fixed under the valve cover / timing cover?

It is likely that there is nothing wrong with the timing chain based on your compression test results.

The only definitive way to check for a worn chain is to check the static timing. A loose chain sounds like a loose chain on a chain saw. It is both loud and easily identified.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote