SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2015, 02:48 AM   #1
cityhawk
Master Member
cityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to all

1993 SW2
2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
Default Automatic seatbelt question

I know everybody hates automatic seatbelts and that the conventional wisdom repair is to find a 1995 car to swap to get the parts to swap to manual belts. Two things preventing me from doing this at present:

1) Lack of available 1995 SL/SW cars in my area pick and pulls to harvest parts from.

2) The automatic seat belts are an artifact of an automotive era that are currently rare, and being the old car buff and preservationist that I am, I'm keen on keeping my mouse belts alive. Even though a lot of people hate the mouse belts, I find them to be actually somewhat convenient for the short trip city driving that I do.

Anyway, my driver's side belt's motor has become quite anemic, especially in the very cold weather. In our arctic winter we've had this year, I've taken to disconnecting the shoulder belt from the link that runs across the track to reduce the drag on the link making the movement easier. I religiously lubricate the track with spray white lithium grease, which I'm told is the thing to use.

It seems as though people say that the motor is attached to the track. Is this an attachment that cannot be broken? What I would like to do is take out the motor to have it rebuilt, but leave the track in place so that I can put in the temporary manual link that came with the car in its glove box. If I have to take out the whole track, there won't be anything to attach the link to while I wait for rehab of the motor.

Saturns:
1993 SW2 MT 193,000 hard Boston city miles ("Rozzie")
Gone but not forgotten:
2001 LW300 ("Elle")
1999 SW2 MT
Project cars:
1966 Corvair Monza convertible
1928 Ford Model A Tudor Sedan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cityhawk's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cityhawk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cityhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2015, 10:02 AM   #2
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice

1994 SL2
1999 SL
Default Re: Automatic seatbelt question

My memory is a bit foggy at the moment, because I have an auto seatbelt motor and track assembly in my garage from my 1991 SC, long before I knew I was going to be giving that car to my mechanic.

I *think* that the Motor and Assembly are all one piece- so if you rehab the entire working mechanism- the whole thing has to be removed from the car, once you remove the A-Piller Window cover. I would have to dig my assembly out and take a closer look at it to see if the Motor would be able to be disconnected from the track...

Removing it from the car is not a fun task because the size of it is over 2 feet in length- Motor and Track. I can let you know for sure, as I am pretty positive that the mouse belts were pretty universal between 91-94...

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 10:37 AM   #3
johnny95sl2
johnny95sl2 will become famous soon enough

1997 SW2
1995 SC2

They are one piece but can be disconnected from each other once out of the car. I may have a couple kicking around the garage if your interested.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to johnny95sl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help johnny95sl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
johnny95sl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 10:40 AM   #4
J N Winkler
Advanced Member
J N Winkler is a jewel in the roughJ N Winkler is a jewel in the roughJ N Winkler is a jewel in the rough

1994 SL2

Not to do a thread hijack, but if this progresses to removal of the actual motor and belt chuck, I'd be very appreciative of photos of the inside of the A-pillar trim. Mine is hanging loose and although I have not been in a hurry to fix it because that puts less friction load on the belt system, it looks untidy and I would like to take care of it at some point, hopefully without wrecking the trim more than it already is.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to J N Winkler's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help J N Winkler reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
J N Winkler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 11:06 AM   #5
blue92
blue92 will become famous soon enoughblue92 will become famous soon enough

1992 SL1
1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityhawk View Post
I religiously lubricate the track with spray white lithium grease, which I'm told is the thing to use.
I think thats your problem. Grease isnt what your supposed to use. Grease attracts dirt, which becomes sludge. I have always used a silicon spray on mine. In winter they do move a bit slower. But once it gets a tad warmer they zip right along.

92 SL1 original owner
94 SL2 Homecoming
98 SC2 White Hot
02 SC2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blue92's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blue92 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blue92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 11:36 AM   #6
trottida
Master Member
trottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to behold

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

There is one currently posted on eBay for $90. You might want to pick it up, switch it in and then rebuild your original. The eBay ID is 231023533311. There are pictures for reference.

Oops, just noted that it is for the passenger side. Pictures may still be relevant to you though.

eBay ID 151557728775 has a drivers side assembly for $50 obo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RH Seat belt assembly.jpg (150.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg RH Seat belt assembly 2.jpg (149.7 KB, 5 views)

2001 SL1 MT (423,500 km @ 10/2018)
1999 SL2 MT (267,940 km @ 10/2018)
2011 Suburban LT (116,506 km @ 10/2018)

Past Saturns
1993 SW2 AT
2001 LW200 MT
1992 SL2 MT

:canada:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 12:41 PM   #7
Bob243
Bob243 is on a distinguished road

1991 SL1

Going to tag this to see how you make out.. I should be making a boneyard trip in the next couple weeks, There is a few 94s there at the moment.

Since others say they can be taken apart once removed, i am going to guess year or model wont really matter ( SL,SC,SW) ?

It is one of those things I try to rescue anyway. I take a small 7.2ah battery in my tool box to test them, and the last set I got was relatively cheap. ( cannot give those up just yet, I haven't gotten to go through mine to figure out what was broke yet) But if I find a good motor before you find something, I will reply here. ( and like I said, it is something I usually grab anyway so no obligation to take it if I pull them. )

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bob243's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bob243 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bob243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 03:53 AM   #8
cityhawk
Master Member
cityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to all

1993 SW2
2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue92 View Post
I think thats your problem. Grease isnt what your supposed to use. Grease attracts dirt, which becomes sludge. I have always used a silicon spray on mine. In winter they do move a bit slower. But once it gets a tad warmer they zip right along.
I got the information on the white lithium grease spray from these forums, here's one such post from Wolfman.... it's the stuff in the spray can as opposed to just regular grease. I guess they recommend this stuff for automatic garage doors too.

Anyway, thanks all for the great info and tips. So, it sounds like it's possible, even if I have to remove the whole track first to get the motor out.... hopefully then I can refasten the track so it can hold the temporary latch while I get the motors rehabbed.

Johnny95SL2, if you have any spares lying around that you're not using that are any good, perhaps that could help. Care to check?

Also, I'm interested in replacing the driver's shoulder belt since mine is frayed. I don't know if it's reasonable to look for used ones, or try one of the vintage belt places for a new replacement.

Saturns:
1993 SW2 MT 193,000 hard Boston city miles ("Rozzie")
Gone but not forgotten:
2001 LW300 ("Elle")
1999 SW2 MT
Project cars:
1966 Corvair Monza convertible
1928 Ford Model A Tudor Sedan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cityhawk's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cityhawk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cityhawk is offline   Reply With Quote