SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2018, 05:12 PM   #1
Bearded1mx3
Bearded1mx3 is on a distinguished road

Default Aftermarket Headlight Options

Simple enough are there any. HID or Projectors would be nice. If not I'll just have to modify mine. I didn't think about searching ng to see if there is a how-2 thread of headlight mods...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bearded1mx3's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bearded1mx3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bearded1mx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-2018, 05:46 PM   #2
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to behold

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia

2001 SL1
Default Re: Aftermarket Headlight Options

HID heat will most likely damage your stock plastic lens.
The S series is not projector, you would have to go to the L series for that.
For my own satisfaction, I have owned both S & L. After trying several options including LED, I came back to Sylvania SilverStar Ultra bulbs.
Bright WHITE penetrating light.
Kept using them until I sold both cars. Put almost 100,000 miles on the SW2 and the Ultras never burnt out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 08:37 PM   #3
Bearded1mx3
Bearded1mx3 is on a distinguished road

So those were just bulbs you put in the stock headlight?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bearded1mx3's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bearded1mx3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bearded1mx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 09:51 PM   #4
mbr
mbr is on a distinguished road

1998 SW2

If you're looking for more light, search for the quad headlight mod. It allows the low beams to stay on when the high beams are on. Helps a lot, but no help when just on low.

Accuracy MATTERS!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mbr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mbr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 11:55 AM   #5
mattwithcats
mattwithcats has a spectacular aura aboutmattwithcats has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL2

I would suggest the 9006 to 9012 modification, for the high beams.

You can use 9011 in the low, but it lacks paint on the tip.

I am exploring if glass lacquer paint on a 9011 bulb would work...

2002 Silver SL2, manual, 5th gear swap (.605), 79,900 miles, black badges,
205/60R15 "H" rated tires, 5mm spacers rear...
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-30, NAPA 41516...
NGK BKR6E-11 spark plugs

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mattwithcats's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mattwithcats reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mattwithcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 05:33 PM   #6
sc2 saturn
sc2 saturn is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by toggenburg View Post
HID heat will most likely damage your stock plastic lens.
The S series is not projector, you would have to go to the L series for that.
For my own satisfaction, I have owned both S & L. After trying several options including LED, I came back to Sylvania SilverStar Ultra bulbs.
Bright WHITE penetrating light.
Kept using them until I sold both cars. Put almost 100,000 miles on the SW2 and the Ultras never burnt out.

i strongly disagree about hid.. i have hid in my car and never damaged one lens simple is cause HID never get hot like a Halogen bulb

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sc2 saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sc2 saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sc2 saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 08:35 PM   #7
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to behold

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia

2001 SL1

Oh?
(unverified info below)

"Temp of the glowing filament = 5,480 F
temp of the bulb glass = 1,340 F

for hid bulbs, which basically use an arc discharge.

temp of the plasma arc = 10,800 F"

(above from this:https://www.hidplanet.com/forums/for...-halogen/page2)

December 14th, 2010, 07:27 PM
i have the temp data in a different thread im still trying to find. bowl temps i just measured with IR thermometer which ive found to be fairly accurate. the thing you have to realize is proximity plays a big role in how stuff burns. even if the filament puts out a certain amount of heat, very rarely will it be distributed and vented evenly. it can form "hotspots" on the bowl (areas that are much hotter than you would expect). while the overall temps of the hid projector can be 100-180F, some parts i have seen get to around 200F. this is all surface temp too. inside the projector can trap heat much better and raise temps further. there are also different types of chrome finishes and usually material ratings are not very accurate. some of the highest temps listed on paint for example signify "pulse" heat resistance and not continuous use. your chrome coating is likely the same. anything over 250F and you are getting into engine manifold temps which can easily burn most types of coatings. but i wonder, have any of you guys heard about jet-hot.com coatings for exhaust parts? i have some on my header and even several yrs later it still has most of its original luster and shine. there is slight bit of yellowing. but this could be an option to chrome projector bowls that need serious heat resistance.

the data i got from old textbooks or white papers. its very hard to find stuff like this online where typing in hid bulb temp gives a million links to stupid hid kits. just wish i could find the data in that old thread.

finally found the halogen info. if you think these numbers are too high, remember that the filament is just a piece of metal wire with electrical charge moving thru it. you have to heat it up considerably before it starts to emit light (think about those large burner rods in your toaster oven that turn dull red when you turn it to high heat, its the same thing but with much more current and much smaller filament).

temp of the glowing filament = 5,480 F
temp of the bulb glass = 1,340 F

for hid bulbs, which basically use an arc discharge.

temp of the plasma arc = 10,800 F

of course plasma will be hotter than a glowing metal wire. but the temp is not really important so long as proximity of the light source to the projector is great enough. if you put the hid arc too close to the edge, it will burn chrome in no time. if you put it at a safe distance, it will not really cause damage since there is not much infrared being produced. the spectra of halogen and hid is so different, you really cannot compare the two at all. they are completely different in every possible way aside from the fact that they both "produce light of some kind." but i guess to answer the question, hid core is 2x hotter than halogen. its really not important for any other reason except maybe impressing your friends lol. as far as whats important, heat radiation, halogen wins hands down due to the infrared. when you tell people what kind of headlights you have, isnt it better to have plasma instead of glowing wire?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 02:36 PM   #8
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

No personal experience or opinion on HIDs, but a discount used to be available some time ago

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=142481

For the love of all that is holy, please check your headlight aim after you do any changes. I came within a half second of being an accident because some ****** and their blinding headlights.

I flashed them probably four times because of how blinding it was at a distance. Even looking off to the side, it was blinding when we passed (they never changed to low beam or flashed high), and right after passing, a deer jumped out in front of me.

You should probably put the year/model in your signature, so we know what car we're talking about.

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote