SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2007, 07:21 PM   #1
pauleqer
pauleqer is on a distinguished road

Default aluminum flywheel

what would be the advantages and diadvantages forr installing an aluminum flywheel? does anyone on here have one?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pauleqer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pauleqer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pauleqer is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2007, 08:13 PM   #2
Abe95SC2
Abe95SC2 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: aluminum flywheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauleqer View Post
what would be the advantages and diadvantages forr installing an aluminum flywheel? does anyone on here have one?
I have a Fidanza and have used it for about 4 years.

Plus. The engine revs like mad.

Knock. It's a pain in traffic and on hills. Getting started from a stop is not as easy as with a heavy flywheel.

Abe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Abe95SC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Abe95SC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Abe95SC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 08:56 PM   #3
Monkius
Advanced Member
Monkius is on a distinguished road

1998 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe95SC2 View Post
I have a Fidanza and have used it for about 4 years.

Plus. The engine revs like mad.

Knock. It's a pain in traffic and on hills. Getting started from a stop is not as easy as with a heavy flywheel.

Abe
I can back him on this, I've talked to a guy on Cardomain, and he said basically the same thing. He also said he couldn't hold 1st gear too well, but he had stock tires and an intake, header, exhaust, and plug wires. He might still be on here as "sweetwagon"...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Monkius's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Monkius reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Monkius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 09:15 PM   #4
Abe95SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkius View Post
I can back him on this, I've talked to a guy on Cardomain, and he said basically the same thing. He also said he couldn't hold 1st gear too well, but he had stock tires and an intake, header, exhaust, and plug wires. He might still be on here as "sweetwagon"...

This is the perfect example of how things get messed up on here. People who have no idea of what they are talking about start putting input in. Monkius has never had a light flywheel but he is ready to back what "I" said based on what he read about someone he does not know on cardomian of all things.

You will not have any trouble "holding" any gear any mopre that with a stocker, especially 1st as you have the highest gear reduction in that position. The only trouble you will have is geting started from a stop. In traffic you will have to slide the clutch quite a bit more that with a stocker beacuse if you don't you will either A: stall, B: ram the guy in front of you or C: have to wait 4 seconds for the guy in front of you to get far enough ahead.

Peas,
Abe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Abe95SC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-30-2007, 09:23 AM   #5
Tom92SCm
Master Member
Tom92SCm has a spectacular aura aboutTom92SCm has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L

It's worth whatever downfalls anyone can come up with.

Not a Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom92SCm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom92SCm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom92SCm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 11:44 AM   #6
cloud819
Master Member
cloud819 will become famous soon enough

2001 SC2

I have an pretty aggressive setup with the ACT HD pressure plate, ACT unsprung 6 puck clutch, first gen hyros and the Fidanza flywheel.

Many people who drive my car have issues getting the thing rolling, but over time I've grown use the the grabby and stall prone setup. The things free revs very quickly, so rev matching for downshifts is pretty fast. I've had no problems with pulling hills, I live at 5000 in the middle of the rockies; So I have a big power loss for altitude and lots of ups and down to play on.

I'm not a drag racer. Many claim that the LW flywheel can hurt you drag racing. I have no clue if that is true or not. My car is a DD/AutoX car. The clutch works well enough for daily useage (if you are OK with an aggressive clutch) and works like a champ on course.

I like the setup a lot. I can't say that I gained any power from the mod (Im sure some, but I would make a guess as too how much, propbabyvery very little); But the cars just feels sportier. I've had the setup for about a year and a half putting about 20K miles on it. I wouldn't be overly surprized if clutch wear is increased with the LW flywheel, but I haven't had to replace it yet. I would imagine this setup would go for 50K or more.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cloud819's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cloud819 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cloud819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 05:14 PM   #7
xupthree60
Master Member
xupthree60 is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom92SCm View Post
It's worth whatever downfalls anyone can come up with.
i have a hard enough time keeping traction in 1st and 2nd gear under wot. so i really dont think id gain much advantage from one...

3x CFR SCCA autocross champion with a 95 SL2 & 98 SC2

Currently own a 02 L200 with no plans to mod.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to xupthree60's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help xupthree60 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
xupthree60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 06:46 PM   #8
Monkius
Advanced Member
Monkius is on a distinguished road

1998 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe95SC2 View Post
This is the perfect example of how things get messed up on here. People who have no idea of what they are talking about start putting input in. Monkius has never had a light flywheel but he is ready to back what "I" said based on what he read about someone he does not know on cardomian of all things.

You will not have any trouble "holding" any gear any mopre that with a stocker, especially 1st as you have the highest gear reduction in that position. The only trouble you will have is geting started from a stop. In traffic you will have to slide the clutch quite a bit more that with a stocker beacuse if you don't you will either A: stall, B: ram the guy in front of you or C: have to wait 4 seconds for the guy in front of you to get far enough ahead.

Peas,
Abe
Uhhh, how about you stfu?

How do you know I've never had a light flywheel/driven in a car with one? You don't even know me, idiot. I was just giving my experience, no need for the ******* negative comments.

Cardomain is but ONE place that I have heard these things. And to be fair, Saturnfans isn't much better of a place to ask these questions. There are like 3 people here who really know what they're talking about when it comes to saturn performance...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Monkius's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Monkius reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Monkius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 07:34 PM   #9
Carlyle
Carlyle is on a distinguished road

1993 SC2

yeah monkius.. and you're not one of em!!!!!

and how come you never have anything positive to add?
if you don't like this forum, do us all a favor and leave!

"it's not that i like to pick on Hondas, but it's so easy..."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Carlyle's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Carlyle reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Carlyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 07:51 PM   #10
xupthree60
Master Member
xupthree60 is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlyle View Post
yeah monkius.. and you're not one of em!!!!!

and how come you never have anything positive to add?
if you don't like this forum, do us all a favor and leave!
none of that, this forum is not the place for posts like any of those 3. if u want to make posts like these then go somewhere else to do it.

this forum encourages questions to be asked and with that comes some answers people might not agree with, or even some questions u might not agree with being asked. this forum is not a place for anyone to attack anyone.

3x CFR SCCA autocross champion with a 95 SL2 & 98 SC2

Currently own a 02 L200 with no plans to mod.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to xupthree60's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help xupthree60 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
xupthree60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 11:14 PM   #11
Abe95SC2

Wrench Re: aluminum flywheel

Just for clarification. I like the lightweight flywheel. Otherwise, I would have taken it off the car years ago. I just wanted the OP to know that as with ANY performance modification you make to your car there are downsides you have to live with.

Abe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-01-2007, 01:02 AM   #12
quiksc2
Master Member
quiksc2 has a spectacular aura aboutquiksc2 has a spectacular aura aboutquiksc2 has a spectacular aura about

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

My clutch is pretty much toast, I'm planning on getting the Fidanza flywheel and putting it in there when I do my clutch. Also welding the pin.

If I wanted ride quality, I would drive a Cadillac. If I wanted to be a sheep, I would drive something that says Vtec on the side of it...
DCS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to quiksc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help quiksc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
quiksc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 09:16 AM   #13
Jim Dunlop
Jim Dunlop is on a distinguished road

2002 SL
1998 SL

Come on people now,
Smile on your brother.
Everybody get together
Try to love one another right now.

2002 SL 1.9L SOHC 5-spd mods:
-Custom HAI
-K&N Airbox Filter
-Custom Air Dam
-PCV Catch Can
-Drilled & slotted rotors
-14x6 König Incident's, Yoko AVID's
-Grille Block (aluminum)
SCS! DD.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jim Dunlop's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jim Dunlop reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jim Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 11:33 AM   #14
sl24life
sl24life is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

my friend had one in his honda man and it broke. Mostly wat your going to see out of the flywheel is since its lighter, it will spin faster and the faster it spins the faster you'll go! so it aint necessarly a bad thing just be careful what company you go throug man!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sl24life's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sl24life reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sl24life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 01:27 PM   #15
amazinghl
Master Member
amazinghl will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by xupthree60 View Post
i have a hard enough time keeping traction in 1st and 2nd gear under wot. so i really dont think id gain much advantage from one...

Buy some better tires.

85 GLH 367whp. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2261629#post2261629
00 Insight 72mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amazinghl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amazinghl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
amazinghl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 02:03 PM   #16
Tom92SCm
Master Member
Tom92SCm has a spectacular aura aboutTom92SCm has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazinghl View Post
Buy some better tires.
And learn throttle control.

Not a Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom92SCm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom92SCm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom92SCm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 02:16 PM   #17
Carlyle
Carlyle is on a distinguished road

1993 SC2

sorry xup, lightweight flywheels are awesome, have one in my 00 mustang GT.
go through a good company and you'll be fine.

"it's not that i like to pick on Hondas, but it's so easy..."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Carlyle's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Carlyle reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Carlyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 02:42 PM   #18
cloud819
Master Member
cloud819 will become famous soon enough

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl24life View Post
my friend had one in his honda man and it broke. Mostly wat your going to see out of the flywheel is since its lighter, it will spin faster and the faster it spins the faster you'll go! so it aint necessarly a bad thing just be careful what company you go throug man!
What? A lightened fly wheel doesn't spin faster; It spins up faster. You don't get any extra RPMs, you just rev faster. This is important on downshifts mostly. You also reduce rotating mass, which should help accelration.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cloud819's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cloud819 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cloud819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 04:18 PM   #19
aperseghin
aperseghin is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2

whats a flywheel......

j/k

~~~~~~~~~~http://www.yourlastrites.com/saturn~~~~~~~~~~~~
1999 SC2 3- Door Coupe.
DIY Custom Short Ram Intake.
69,000 miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to aperseghin's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help aperseghin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
aperseghin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 05:59 AM   #20
Jim Dunlop
Jim Dunlop is on a distinguished road

2002 SL
1998 SL

Doesn't it place less stress on the drive train as well, theoretically helping the engine/tranny last longer (except for maybe the flywheel)?

2002 SL 1.9L SOHC 5-spd mods:
-Custom HAI
-K&N Airbox Filter
-Custom Air Dam
-PCV Catch Can
-Drilled & slotted rotors
-14x6 König Incident's, Yoko AVID's
-Grille Block (aluminum)
SCS! DD.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jim Dunlop's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jim Dunlop reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jim Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote