SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2006, 11:25 PM   #1
DeMAN
Advanced Member
DeMAN is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2
Question Why does some SC2's get better gas mileage than others (30+)

I see threads sometimes where some DOHC S series are getting >30MPG. I've only seen 28mpg on highway driving. This engine came from out of a 98 and has very low mile on it. All the tuneup things that you would look for are new.

Is my mileage normal? The only thing that I may be doing different is that I'm using 10w-30 dino oil. I'm thinking about using 5w-30 synthetic. I do expect to see some increase in mpg, but I don't know how much.

List your mpg on DOHC W/AUTO only PLEASE. Also grade and type of oil. (synthetic or dino)

Thanks
DeMAN

DeMAN

95 SC2
97 Grand Prix GTP
06 Acura TL

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DeMAN's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DeMAN reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DeMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-2006, 11:38 PM   #2
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY
Default Re: Why does some SC2's get better gas mileage than others (30+)

My 92 SC with the short pipe induction, enlarged TB would still get 30-32 mpg on the highway going 70-75 with the AC on. I always kept 35 psi in all 4 tires. I always used dino 5w-30 oil mostly with Tufoil teflon additive. I would now use Mobil 1 after reading about the benefits it has the the S-series engines. I also always had preminum plugs. Iridium plugs when I traded her in.

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 03:42 AM   #3
ambeno888
ambeno888 is on a distinguished road

2001 SL2

i have a 2001 SL2 and on a 300 mile round trip averaging 70 mph with the AC on high the whole way, i got 38, and its an automatic. everyone told me to expect no more than 35, well i have yet to see less than 35, i am more than thrilled with my car. but i also must add that alot of my driving is hiway in relatively free flowing traffic. if i ran a few tanks through in the city i imagine i would get close to what you get.

All my friends say i drive like a grandma...but i dont see any of them going 400 miles on 10 gallons of gas.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ambeno888's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ambeno888 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ambeno888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 06:22 AM   #4
SaturnManiac
Master Member
SaturnManiac is on a distinguished road

Everything comes into play for gas mileage....EVERYTHING. Also manuals usually get better gas mileage then automatics, and I know quite a few people on this board have manuals.

R.I.P. - My 1996 Saturn SL2, "Psycho" - 7/95-2/17/06

R.I.P. - My 2000 Saturn SL2, "Sexy" - 11/24/99-8/05/08

If you're a car begging for your life, wouldn't you want someone to add fluids?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnManiac's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnManiac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 06:45 AM   #5
BadAssSaturnSC2
BadAssSaturnSC2 is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2

I have a 98 SC2 Auto as well. I usually get about 35-36mpg @ 75-78mph, w/out AC. I use 10W-30 Castrol GTX conventional oil.

-Jeremy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BadAssSaturnSC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BadAssSaturnSC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BadAssSaturnSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 09:25 AM   #6
amazinghl
Master Member
amazinghl will become famous soon enough

Comes down to driver and road condition, most of the time.

85 GLH 367whp. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2261629#post2261629
00 Insight 72mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amazinghl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amazinghl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
amazinghl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 10:41 AM   #7
eljefino
Master Member
eljefino will become famous soon enough

1995 SW1
2000 SL1

Tires have more friction variance than grade of motor oil.

You might want to ask for tire brands, inflation pressure, speed and treadwear ratings.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eljefino's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eljefino reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eljefino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 12:24 PM   #8
97coupe
Master Member
97coupe is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljefino

You might want to ask for tire brands, inflation pressure, speed and treadwear ratings.
Very true as does the driver and their habits and the terrain too. Fuel quality play a roll too. (though some will say otherwise) especailly in hor weather . My daughter 97 SC2 will get close to 40 on a trip at 65 or less even with A/C one some and close upper 20's to around 30 in town/ueban in summer too using 93 octane. If she uses 97, the MPG goes out the window in summer with A/C and it struggles to get low 20's in town with A/C and low 30's on highway and has a LOT less "pep" too.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 97coupe's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 97coupe reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
97coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 02:33 PM   #9
Ken Benson
Ken Benson is on a distinguished road

1996 SC2
1997 SC1

I wanted to chime in about the effects of A/C on gas mileage as well. I do have a manual transmission, but with A/C off (it was broken earlier this summer), I got ~36 MPG, once the A/C was fixed, I consistently get ~27 MPG. Net loss of 9 MPG with the same driving habits, but with summer in Texas, I'll take the A/C over the mileage most every day!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ken Benson's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ken Benson reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ken Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 03:35 PM   #10
eljefino
Master Member
eljefino will become famous soon enough

1995 SW1
2000 SL1

Also I was just thinking, do the drivers with good mileage generally have rear drum brakes, and poor mileage, discs? I ask because discs by their design nature create a little more drag...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eljefino's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eljefino reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eljefino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 07:59 PM   #11
colonelhogan44
colonelhogan44 is just really nicecolonelhogan44 is just really nicecolonelhogan44 is just really nicecolonelhogan44 is just really nicecolonelhogan44 is just really nice

1998 SL2

1999 SL2, 80,000 miles on the clock

I usually get right around 35 with the a/c off with mixed city/highway. with the a/c on it drops to about 32-33, again, mixed city highway. I have the original tires on my car, Firestone affinity touring, with a little over 80,000 on them (and the car). I'm probably going to have to replace them this fall, so if anyone has any suggestions as to which tire gives good mileage, I would be open to suggestions. I was looking at michelin hydroedge or x-radials.

However, lately I have been getting 29-30 mpg, and have no idea why. maybe it was the heat wave that went through California, and the fact that I was running 87 octane. I don't know. it is frustrating though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to colonelhogan44's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help colonelhogan44 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
colonelhogan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 05:22 PM   #12
DeMAN
Advanced Member

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljefino

OK I have 205-50-16's Kuhmo inflated to 34psig cold temp.

I too stay in hot ass Texas and drive over mostly level road and highway.

The AC is a must here.

DeMAN

95 SC2
97 Grand Prix GTP
06 Acura TL

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help DeMAN reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-29-2006, 06:44 PM   #13
andy_95sl2
Master Member
andy_95sl2 is on a distinguished road

My dad drives my car most of the time, and gets about 30 mpg on an average day, doing mixed city and highway driving at about 70 mph with a/c. He also drives it rougher than any other car he's had because he's always had trucks. I wish the gas mileage was a lot better but hey, i also let the car idle in the driveway while listening to the radio for an extended period of time.

2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon -> daily & toy =)
2009 BMW 128i -> sold
2003 VW GTI 1.8T -> wrecked
1998 Saturn SL2 -> parted out
1995 Saturn SL2 -> sold
1995 Saturn SL2 -> sold

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to andy_95sl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help andy_95sl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
andy_95sl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 09:02 PM   #14
colonelhogan44
colonelhogan44 is just really nicecolonelhogan44 is just really nicecolonelhogan44 is just really nicecolonelhogan44 is just really nicecolonelhogan44 is just really nice

1998 SL2

I forgot to mention that I am using the 10w-30 supertech synthetic oil from walmart...but the jury is still out on whether it gave any gains over the 10w-30 castrol I was using...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to colonelhogan44's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help colonelhogan44 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
colonelhogan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 09:11 PM   #15
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

Your mileage may vary. The only way to really compare fuel mileage between cars is to drive the same road at the same time using the same amount of throttle and braking. and using the same fuel from the same gas station.

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eRic 02sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 10:16 PM   #16
DeMAN
Advanced Member

1995 SC2
Happy Re: Why does some SC2's get better gas mileage than others (30+)

Just checked the mileage again today and came up w/ 27mpg.
This is combined city and highway. 85%+ highway driving w/ ac on here in hot Texas.

My oil level is down 1/3 quart on 2k miles driving on the used engine I had installed back in april. I guess this is good considering my old engine used a quart every 100 miles or so.

I will be switching to synthetic @ 3k miles. 10W-30 of some brand. I maybe able to get another one or two mpg out this to justify the switch.

DeMAN

95 SC2
97 Grand Prix GTP
06 Acura TL

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-03-2006, 12:38 AM   #17
Darkkend
Darkkend is on a distinguished road

1996 SC2

My Manual 96 SC2 has been getting around 25mpg no A/C, and mostly(75%) New York City Traffic and around 25% Highway, but i also need to do a tune up as I think the previous owner neglected minor maintence stuff.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Darkkend's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Darkkend reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Darkkend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 03:18 PM   #18
charcoal
charcoal is on a distinguished road

1993 SC2

I've been wondering about this too...
My '94 SC1 auto steadily gets 34mpg, my bro's '95 SC2 auto scores 40mpg.
I live in the flatlands of Kansas, my bro lives in Wyoming. Big difference in terrain and altitude and perhaps fuel formula, but neither of us are lead-footed drivers -nor weekend racers.

Oh, uh, we both run 10W30...dino

My compression checks in at 190 or so across the board, bro scores 210.
My ride has 103k while bro's has 64k. His ride has noticeably more punch and power while mine is a 85hp creampuff. His is in great condition and never been MMO'd or cracked open, but he did replace the injectors and rail a while back. Mine has been rebuilt (spun #2 bearing); new bearings and seals, head cleaning and hand-lapped the valves, cleaned the piston grooves and de-glazed the cylinders but I did not replace the rings (lack of funds). It does not smoke or use oil.

Why the variance?
Differences in compression? possibly [very probable]
Differences in driving styles, fuel or terrain? one seems to cancel the other out -if anything, driving in mountains/high altitude should reduce MPG
Driving style? no, we both cruise at legal speeds and we do not hot-rod around town
Tires? no, both on stock sizes
Condition of vehicle/engine? We both keep our machines in peak condition (sort of a mutual competition)

Brakes dragging? possible since mine is 4disc while bro's is 2disc/2drum
**this is a very good point, Eljefino***
This unknown variable could be studied simply by asking the forum members to check their 'coast-down' times, say from 65mph on flat ground, no wind, drop out of gear and stopwatch time the acceleration decay to 30 or 40mph.
"The Maestro" once did this, but as an exercise in determining Cd [drag coeffient] of various models of Porsches.

DOHC versus SOHC? I would expect improved performance in both power and efficiency as a result of DOHC configuration...but 25hp stock over SOHC usually comes at a fuel consumption penalty. I theorize that more efficiency means less fuel consumption due to less demand on engine power -which translates into less fuel needed to accomplish the same amount of work.

By process of elimination, this leaves specific engine characteristics at suspicion.
from car to car, suspect variances in;
Sensor values and linear response.
Engine cylinder pressures (leakdown via rings and/or valves).
Volumetric efficiency as improved by DOHC over SOHC
Mechanical resistances induced by brakes, bearings, and tires

Judging from the stunning fuel economy results cheapybob has acheived thru manipulation of his IAT sensor, differences in sensors from one car to another could be an explanation for mileage differences. These sensors (ECTS, IAT) are cheap, negative temperature coefficient resistors (NTC's) and their response and repeatability in manufacture and application is anything but precise. A similar argument could be made for O2 sensors as the poor narrowband performance of these apparently has prompted powerplant designers to implement wideband and dual sensor configurations to improve sensor resolution and engine management.

When I get my '93 SC2 w/MP3 online, I'm looking for improvements on several fronts. I'm particularly seeking the 40+mpg out of a 125hp powerplant and to get it I will be building this engine new rings to get the compression up to new specs and with polished ports to improve flow.

What I really want is Endyn's 'roller-wave' pistons and combustion chamber/head technology [they dont do S-series saturns], but hypereutectic coated-skirt pistons with a modified quench may be the best I could muster.

If I had better funding this would be a piece of cake [for me]...

MAD works!

Last edited by charcoal; 08-03-2006 at 03:24 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to charcoal's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help charcoal reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
charcoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 10:00 PM   #19
DeMAN
Advanced Member

1995 SC2
Dizzy Re: Why does some SC2's get better gas mileage than others (30+)

I've read back over this thread, but I can't see where someone has come up with why there is such a swing in gas mileage among the SC2 auto.

27-31mpg would be easy to understand, but not one getting 10mpg over the same equipped model.

I have three cars and on there forums.

My 97 grand prix GTP gets 23mpg mixed driving and 27 straight highway driving 80mph
My 06 Acura TL gets 25mpg mixed driving and 3O straight highway driving 80mph.

Those numbers are close to what other people are getting within 3mpg.

So again, why the wide gap among Saturn SC2 owners

Something here just doesn't sound right.

Can someone chime in with some real numbers.

DeMAN

95 SC2
97 Grand Prix GTP
06 Acura TL

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-31-2006, 10:40 PM   #20
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

Your mileage may vary. I've gotten close to 40 MPG in my 92 SC on the drive down to Spring Hill. my 96 SC2 got similar mileage which makes sense since they have the same body style. my 02 SC2 hasn't been that fuel efficient.

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eRic 02sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote