SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2006, 02:01 AM   #1
strongboy2005
strongboy2005 is on a distinguished road

Default What RPM do you shift?

You're at the track in your 1994 saturn sc2. Your only mod is a cold air intake. What RPM do you shift at in each gear?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to strongboy2005's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help strongboy2005 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
strongboy2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2006, 02:05 AM   #2
SaturnManiac
Master Member
SaturnManiac is on a distinguished road

Default Re: What RPM do you shift?

Drive hard. Shift right before you absolutely need to. Just try not to redline alot. You should know when to shift by the sound of the car, not the RPM's.

R.I.P. - My 1996 Saturn SL2, "Psycho" - 7/95-2/17/06

R.I.P. - My 2000 Saturn SL2, "Sexy" - 11/24/99-8/05/08

If you're a car begging for your life, wouldn't you want someone to add fluids?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnManiac's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnManiac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 02:44 AM   #3
quiksc2
Master Member
quiksc2 has a spectacular aura aboutquiksc2 has a spectacular aura aboutquiksc2 has a spectacular aura about

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

From what others have said, 6500 sounds like the magic number for upshifting, puts you right in the peak hp. Down shifting is a little less, because then it puts you at max torque.

If I wanted ride quality, I would drive a Cadillac. If I wanted to be a sheep, I would drive something that says Vtec on the side of it...
DCS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to quiksc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help quiksc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
quiksc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 09:52 AM   #4
S3aturnR
Master Member
S3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the rough

1996 SL2
1999 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongboy2005 View Post
You're at the track in your 1994 saturn sc2. Your only mod is a cold air intake. What RPM do you shift at in each gear?
well, you gotta get as close to the rev-limiter as possible without touching it. if you hit it, it will slow you down, but if you shift too far before it, you'll be missing a few revs. i usually go right to the tip of the redline and shift in competition. maintaining your vehicle takes on a new and special meaning when you do this often...

s3aturnr

"reno is a lot like maybury, except everyone's on crystal meth and prostitution's legal" - junior

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to S3aturnR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help S3aturnR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
S3aturnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 10:51 AM   #5
RangerRover
RangerRover is on a distinguished road

1999 SW2
1994 SL2

The rev limiter is set a 6750, but if you shift there, you already passed peak HP. Peak is right around 65-6600.

You can tell Linux is made by geeks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RangerRover's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RangerRover reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RangerRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 07:13 PM   #6
colonelhogan44
colonelhogan44 is just really nicecolonelhogan44 is just really nicecolonelhogan44 is just really nicecolonelhogan44 is just really nicecolonelhogan44 is just really nice

1998 SL2

Isn't peak more in the 5500 range?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to colonelhogan44's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help colonelhogan44 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
colonelhogan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 09:07 PM   #7
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

Checkered Flag Re: What RPM do you shift?

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongboy2005 View Post
up-shift at 6500 RPM. make sure you shift before hitting the 6750 -/+ 150 RPM fuel shut off.

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eRic 02sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 10:13 PM   #8
nad
nad is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2
1993 SC2

The valves in our cars will fall off the map right after 6500.

So shift right then, if not right before it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nad's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nad reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 10:35 PM   #9
osxuser
osxuser is on a distinguished road

How often do people drive up to the limiter. I shift a between 3500 and 4500 in normal driving. For racing, I do up it to 6500. Because I drive hard all them time, I started running semi-synthetic.

'96 SC2 5spd <-Staying N/A
'94 SC2 5spd RIP

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to osxuser's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help osxuser reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
osxuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 01:34 AM   #10
98greenSC2
Advanced Member
98greenSC2 is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2

Shift around 6600-6700rpm. Remember, no granny shifting would you should be double clutching.

Around town, I shift 2500-3000rpm.

http://members.cardomain.com/stdmtn11
15.59 @ 87.1 quarter mile
1998 Saturn SC2 *sold* What have I done!?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 98greenSC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 98greenSC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
98greenSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 05:49 AM   #11
xupthree60
Master Member
xupthree60 is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98greenSC2 View Post
Shift around 6600-6700rpm. Remember, no granny shifting would you should be double clutching.

Around town, I shift 2500-3000rpm.
yes u wernt double clutching like u should in that drag race

3x CFR SCCA autocross champion with a 95 SL2 & 98 SC2

Currently own a 02 L200 with no plans to mod.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to xupthree60's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help xupthree60 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
xupthree60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 06:03 AM   #12
Sir Trews
Sir Trews is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2

I agree with the top limit of 62...maybe 63 or so...beyond that, you're just turning the crank... but xupthree60? Why the d-clutch? When it's on, it's there... I thought....well... just a question.

<=== Just a Hotrod... with good ponies!
My SL2..She's hurtin'. Pretty bad. No pic.
All GM stable here... '71, and '89, both long beds...
*Hugs* Saturn Maniac! Glad you're still here! ;*)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sir Trews's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sir Trews reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sir Trews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 06:19 AM   #13
xupthree60
Master Member
xupthree60 is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Trews View Post
I agree with the top limit of 62...maybe 63 or so...beyond that, you're just turning the crank... but xupthree60? Why the d-clutch? When it's on, it's there... I thought....well... just a question.
que??

i dunno what ur asking, i was just making fun of Dom (vin deisle)

3x CFR SCCA autocross champion with a 95 SL2 & 98 SC2

Currently own a 02 L200 with no plans to mod.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to xupthree60's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help xupthree60 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
xupthree60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 08:53 AM   #14
RangerRover
RangerRover is on a distinguished road

1999 SW2
1994 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonelhogan44 View Post
Isn't peak more in the 5500 range?
IIRC, according to dyno tests, the peak torque is around 5000, but the peak HP isnt until later. This is all for the DOHC of course.

You can tell Linux is made by geeks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RangerRover's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RangerRover reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RangerRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 08:55 AM   #15
Kevin94SL
Kevin94SL is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Sedan

On the SOHC I shift between 4500-5000 RPM. Torque peak is 2400RPM. Never had the opportunity to drive a DOHC with a clutch in it - I'd probably shift around 6000RPM though.

Kevin

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kevin94SL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kevin94SL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Kevin94SL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 12:07 PM   #16
S3aturnR
Master Member
S3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the rough

1996 SL2
1999 SL1

yeah, the double clutch reference was a dig on "the fast and the furious". basically, anyone that knows anything about driving knows that you don't double clutch when you are upshifting. only downshifting and it's usually not necessary on modern cars or cars without a full race gearbox with no synchros. vin diesel wouldn't have sounded more ridiculous if he had told him he should have been heel/toe shifting during that race. that's another deceleration-only move...

s3aturnr

"reno is a lot like maybury, except everyone's on crystal meth and prostitution's legal" - junior

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help S3aturnR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-07-2006, 12:19 PM   #17
Gerry Proctor
Master Member
Gerry Proctor has a spectacular aura aboutGerry Proctor has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR
2008 SKY Red Line

I have an automatic. Shifts itself, freeing me up to drink coffee and scratch myself.

And double clutching is only used when a transmission has no syncronizers, like cars 60 years or more ago or some very old over the road trucks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Gerry Proctor's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Gerry Proctor reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Gerry Proctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 12:33 PM   #18
S3aturnR
Master Member

1996 SL2
1999 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Proctor View Post
I have an automatic. Shifts itself, freeing me up to drink coffee and scratch myself.

And double clutching is only used when a transmission has no syncronizers, like cars 60 years or more ago or some very old over the road trucks.
ah, yes, the auto tranny. gotta keep one hand free for the babes, right?

double clutch can also be used in conjunction with heel/toe downshifting when going from a very hi-rpm to a low gear (either 1st or 2nd). there's a point where the synchros are simply overwhelmed and do nothing. a properly timed double clutch will help in those situations...

s3aturnr

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-07-2006, 05:44 PM   #19
nad
nad is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2
1993 SC2

Heel and toe driving is used for downshifting. When you are going into first or second while traveling at a high rate of speed. The idea is to get the engine moving to the same speed that the tires are moving so that there is little/no wear on the clutch pad itself. Granted it is MANDITORY when you are driving a car without syncros. However using it in a modern day car is not a bad idea.

Double clutching is used in a turbocharged car. The process is step on the clutch, put the car into nuetral, let the clutch off. Step on the clutch again and hit your gear. This is done in order for the engine to slow down. If you "slam" into your next gear while still maintaining those high RPM's, your tires will spin. When your tires spin, you don't have traction, when you don't have traction, you are not accelerating which in turn makes you slower. Double clutching lets the motor drop down in RPM's so that when you do get into gear your tires will have less chace of spinning.

For example: Rev your car to 3 grand and dump the clutch. That's just the same as "granny shifting" your force fed car. On the other hand, hold it at 1.5 and dump the clutch. You will spin a lot less here and that is your "double clutch".

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nad's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nad reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 05:55 PM   #20
98greenSC2
Advanced Member
98greenSC2 is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nad View Post
Heel and toe driving is used for downshifting. When you are going into first or second while traveling at a high rate of speed. The idea is to get the engine moving to the same speed that the tires are moving so that there is little/no wear on the clutch pad itself. Granted it is MANDITORY when you are driving a car without syncros. However using it in a modern day car is not a bad idea.

Double clutching is used in a turbocharged car. The process is step on the clutch, put the car into nuetral, let the clutch off. Step on the clutch again and hit your gear. This is done in order for the engine to slow down. If you "slam" into your next gear while still maintaining those high RPM's, your tires will spin. When your tires spin, you don't have traction, when you don't have traction, you are not accelerating which in turn makes you slower. Double clutching lets the motor drop down in RPM's so that when you do get into gear your tires will have less chace of spinning.

For example: Rev your car to 3 grand and dump the clutch. That's just the same as "granny shifting" your force fed car. On the other hand, hold it at 1.5 and dump the clutch. You will spin a lot less here and that is your "double clutch".

http://members.cardomain.com/stdmtn11
15.59 @ 87.1 quarter mile
1998 Saturn SC2 *sold* What have I done!?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 98greenSC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 98greenSC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
98greenSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote