SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2006, 10:03 PM   #21
mjo
Advanced Member
mjo is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2
Default Re: Hot air intake

The HAI is out of commission because of a leaking heater core (which gets worse the warmer the coolant gets). I don't thing the HAI caused this because the car's been seeping for a year now. Thought I fixed it when I replaced the coolant pump

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mjo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mjo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mjo is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2006, 02:32 AM   #22
98greenSC2
Advanced Member
98greenSC2 is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2

I think, and correct me if I'm wrong, that basic physics says it takes a certain amount of energy to move an object of a certain weight at a certain speed. So, in theory, a car with a CAI and one with a HAI (assuming everything else is equal) will use the same amount of power to move at the same speed.

However, might the HAI has a slight advantage because of the less dense air requires the driver to open the throttle more to compensate? Wouldn't a more open throttle reduce parasitic pumping losses?

http://members.cardomain.com/stdmtn11
15.59 @ 87.1 quarter mile
1998 Saturn SC2 *sold* What have I done!?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 98greenSC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 98greenSC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
98greenSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 03:20 PM   #23
mjo
Advanced Member
mjo is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2

Here's an update on the hot air intake mod. It definitely helps with fuel economy. After fixing the coolant leak from the heater core, the coolant temperature gauge always reads within the normal range. I also put in a new O2 sensor. My current MPG averages are 33-35 MPG for ambient air temps around 30-40 degree Fahrenheit. The cold weather I have been experiencing lately where the temperatures have been close to zero the mileage has been between 28-30. I did a 200 mile trip recently where I calculated the FE to be above 36 MPG; the ambient air temp was in the 20s and this trip took 6 hours because of the horrible icy weather I had to drive through.

Overall it looks like a fantastic, cheap, easy, winter mod for the DIY.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mjo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mjo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mjo is offline   Reply With Quote