SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2006, 10:03 PM   #1
98greenSC2
Advanced Member
98greenSC2 is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2
Default Road trip!

I, like many others this Thanksgiving, took to the road. I went to Louisiana, near Slidell. I didn't go Wednesday because I had to work. So, I left at 6:00 this morning. First off, I'm glad I replaced my fog lamps and upgraded the bulbs. I went to the junkyard last week and got good replacements on the cheap. I then installed Silverstar 893 bulbs. They're certainly brighter and whiter than the old 880 bulbs. This morning, it was very foggy. In some places it was near zero visibility. I don't have that much experience driving in the fog so I just slowed down as needed. As the sun came up, the fog lifted. It was a smooth trip except for ******s in SUVs and the fact part of I-10 was closed for about 10 minutes while a medivac helicopter could land at an accident site.

The car felt great. I was quite responsive when I needed to get on the gas. It might have been a combination of cool air and the lightweight flywheel. I cruised at 75-80. I didn't fill up yet but it appears I'm getting about 35mpg. Not bad. The car drifts a bit so I'll take it to NTB under the alignment plan I have. Well worth the money. All in all, a good trip for the SC2.

http://members.cardomain.com/stdmtn11
15.59 @ 87.1 quarter mile
1998 Saturn SC2 *sold* What have I done!?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 98greenSC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 98greenSC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
98greenSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-2006, 01:03 AM   #2
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2
Default Re: Road trip!

Replaced the fog lamps? You mean the lamp housings themselves? What on earth could have gone wrong with the old ones?

What's the wattage on those 893s? Be careful, since those housings are plastic. Anything that gets significantly hotter than the original 880s could melt them.

Don'tcha love having a car you can count on, without draining your bank account? Safe travels home, man.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 11:19 AM   #3
98greenSC2
Advanced Member
98greenSC2 is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue
Replaced the fog lamps? You mean the lamp housings themselves? What on earth could have gone wrong with the old ones?

What's the wattage on those 893s? Be careful, since those housings are plastic. Anything that gets significantly hotter than the original 880s could melt them.

Don'tcha love having a car you can count on, without draining your bank account? Safe travels home, man.
For some reason, the reflectors in the old ones were dirty and black and the lens was really fogged. It threw out a dim worthless blob of light. The lens and reflectors on the new ones are much cleaner and give off a bar of light I can aim. I'll keep an eye on the bulbs and housings.

http://members.cardomain.com/stdmtn11
15.59 @ 87.1 quarter mile
1998 Saturn SC2 *sold* What have I done!?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 98greenSC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 98greenSC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
98greenSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 02:26 PM   #4
Titanium48
Titanium48 is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98greenSC2
...part of I-10 was closed for about 10 minutes while a medivac helicopter could land at an accident site.
Only 10 minutes? Accidents have been known to close highways for hours around here. We need to send some mounties and EMS types down there for training!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Titanium48's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Titanium48 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Titanium48 is offline   Reply With Quote