SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2005, 07:31 PM   #1
1995-SL1
1995-SL1 is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1
Default LS-1 Automatic Transmission Fluid Change

Hi All,
I recently purchased a 2000 SL-1 from the original 85 y/o owner.
The car has only 47k and is in beautiful condition. I want to service the automatic transmission and when I went to read the owners manual for the correct procedure (pictures, etc), it is an S-series owners manual! Go figure. The car comes with the manual, so I cant even believe the dealer screwed up. Maybe it was shipped with the wrong manual from the factory. In any case, I really need the correct procedure and fluid capacity. Also, this trans has a filler cap, but no dipstick (?), so I can only assume that I can't even check the level or inspect the fluid easily. Mama-Mia! Can someone explain the procedure or (MUCH better), can someone please fax or email or post the 1 or two pages that cover the auto trans/differential (same fluid, I'm guessing) service procedure.

A big THANKS in advance!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1995-SL1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1995-SL1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1995-SL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-2005, 09:24 AM   #2
s3nfo
s3nfo is a jewel in the roughs3nfo is a jewel in the roughs3nfo is a jewel in the rough

2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
Default Re: LS-1 Automatic Transmission Fluid Change

The owners manual is an S series manual because you have an S series car. It's the first letter that tells you what series you have, the L series cars are LS or LW.

Jerry N

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies."

Groucho Marx

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to s3nfo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help s3nfo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
s3nfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 09:49 AM   #3
BobL
Master Member
BobL is on a distinguished road

if no dipstick, you do have an L series, but the wrong manual.

Changing tranny fluid is a total PITA on the L, and you'd be better off letting the dealer do it.

Drain period is over 50K, but 50K's not a bad idea.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 05:23 PM   #4
1995-SL1

1995 SL1

Thanks Bob,
I am an ASE master tech, so I would prefer to do the job myself, if I can get the right info. My LS1 (it is not an SL1) is my first L series, so I would like to learn the ropes. What is the deal with no dipstick? Just assume the fluid level is correct until it is time to change it? If you have any further info from an owners mauual, let me know.

Many thanks,
Max

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 1995-SL1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-20-2005, 05:32 PM   #5
1995-SL1

1995 SL1

PS - I just noticed that I wrote "2000 SL1" in my first post. My mistake. My new Saturn is a 2000 LS1. Stupid GM - the best thing they ever did was properly name their V-8 engines (LS1, LS6, LS7, etc). Then they do there best to confuse things by giving their newest line of vehicles identical and ever-confusing alphanumeric nomenclature. From SL1 to L100 to LS1, LW, WL, OHWell, yada , yada. Even us mechanics screw it up.
Thank God for Relay, Ion, etc. Much more proper names.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-20-2005, 06:19 PM   #6
bigc791
Advanced Member
bigc791 is on a distinguished road

1994 SL1

I doubt it came with the wrong manual from the factory since they are made on other sides of the country. But anyways trans fluid change is pretty straight foward. Done the same as all GM transverse trannys since its the same thing. Drop the pan remove the filter install filter reinstall pan bolts are torqued to 9ft/lbs then add 6.9QQt of fluid. Filler is on the top to check it remove the plug near the right side axle. if low nothing will come out if over filled allow to drain from the hole until it dribbles. It must be checked when warm
Carmen

1998 2.4L swapped Plymouth neon is my ride.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bigc791's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bigc791 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bigc791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 11:40 AM   #7
1995-SL1

1995 SL1

Thanks for the info.

Can any one post fax or email me the page from the owners manual?
Maxxam8888@Yahoo.com

Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-23-2005, 08:53 AM   #8
BobL
Master Member
BobL is on a distinguished road

You might want to post on Tech Talk to see if someone can send you something from the factory service manual.

I had a 2000 LS and the owner's manual had no info on trans fluid changes except the recommended interval.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 05:25 PM   #9
1995-SL1

1995 SL1

Good idea - thanks.

By the way - I am having a heck of a time trying to find a cheap (meaning used) drivers side front headlamp assembly. Mine has two out of three mounting tabs broken. There are TONS of used SL/SC headlamps on eBay and I have even found a few at some salvage yards. But I have yet to find any LS headlamp other than dealer new or aftermarket.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!