SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2005, 07:24 PM   #1
demingy
demingy is on a distinguished road

Default Sunroof module

*$%!! Saturn specific parts. The sunroof on my 2000 SL2 wouldn't close so I took it to the dealership to find out what is wrong. They quoted me over $1090! and more than $900 of that is for the sunroof module! I know that sunroofs can be expensive, but this is really difficult for me.....on top of the fact that all of the parts places I've checked haven't even heard of that part. It's Saturn specific.

Well, they were able to get it to close but of course I can't use my sunroof until I get it fixed.

Does anyone have any ideas where I might be able to get this part cheaper?

**Sorry to make my second post (first real post) so negative. I really love this car, and it is breaking my heart that I've had so many expensive repairs on it already. Other than these little bizarre problems, this has been a great little car. I even told my bf that if I could I'd keep the body and interior forever and just have the mechanical parts replaced as needed......of course I can't.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to demingy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help demingy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
demingy is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-2005, 07:35 PM   #2
1993 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Sunroof module

mine did the same crap, all you have to do is takehe black plastic box(module) out of the roof and open it up and re-solder all the joints in it, they all crack for some reason..not hard to do..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1993's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1993 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 07:43 PM   #3
dcp
Advanced Member
dcp is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

Hey, thats a good tip.I will have to remember that

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dcp's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dcp reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 10:50 PM   #4
Gottofried
Gottofried is on a distinguished road

if you need a replacement module a good place is sunroofdoctor.com. i got a complete module for my sc2 and after the core it was around 450 i think.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Gottofried's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Gottofried reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Gottofried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 11:27 PM   #5
drummersdad
drummersdad is on a distinguished road

The sunroof track on my 98 SL2 broke; the dealer managed to close it; yes, the price to fix it was $1200 which included the module and tracks since they come as one unit. I had them take out the fuse so it won't open no matter what. Saturn engineering is pitiful. Have you driven over something on the road and had it bounce up and puncture the fuel filter, which is not shielded? There goes $200+.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to drummersdad's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help drummersdad reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
drummersdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 02:29 AM   #6
edbama2
edbama2 is on a distinguished road

1993 SC2
1994 SC2

I just got done resoldering 2 of my relays and they both work great now. The hard part of doing this is taking out the headliner. After that it is easy and alot cheaper. Here is a picture of what the relay module looks like. This is inside of the little black plastic box. Good Luck!

When is Saturn going to make an SC2 Truck?
New 05 Dodge Ram Quad Hemi Thunder Road Package

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to edbama2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help edbama2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
edbama2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 09:25 AM   #7
demingy
demingy is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys! I feel a lot better.

I'm not sure if I will attempt it myself, but it is tempting. Would someone mind giving me a little more detail on how to take off the headliner and getting to (and into) the module? I assume that after that I would just have to resolder any pieces that seem to have pulled apart?

I think I'll also check out sunroofdoctor.com and see how much it would cost for a new one.

If you don't include the two batteries that have leaked during my five years of ownership, this is the third electrical problem I've had in the past couple of years. One of my power windows went out, turned out to be a short somewhere along the line; my blinker module went out (that was REALLY easy-but somewhat expensive-to replace); and of course now this. I'm wondering if there is something I should have the mechanic check--maybe the alternator? When I replaced my second battery last week, the guy ran a test but said that it was "inconclusive". Of course he was running the test while it was hooked up to a leaking battery......

Of course I think that only a fellow Saturn fan could understand why I still love this car despite these problems.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to demingy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help demingy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
demingy is offline   Reply With Quote