SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2018, 03:02 PM   #1
Keblar
Keblar is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2
Default Air coming from EGR?

I keep seeing EGR issues pop up on the forum lately. I wonder if emissions on the S-Series are more problematic when it starts getting cold. Anyway...

I was already going to be going though the Richpin EGR clean out because I've been getting the P0410 code (stays clear, then tends to come back on sustained high RPM loads, i.e. downshift on steep grades at highway speed), but i noticed something as I was swapping out ignition coils (unrelated intermittent P0341 - variable/low resistance, cracked swollen coil on the 4 1 bank) and noticed a high concentration of dry carbon on the head and valve cover are near the EGR.

When I test started up to make sure the coil swap was successful I noticed more noise than usual and could feel heavy rapid puffs coming from the EGR area.

This doesn't appear to be common. At least I can't find it in any of the MANY EGR threads. Just a compromised EGR gasket? Is the EGR a red herring, and the air/carbon is coming from something else in that area?

Incidentally, there are no real noticeable engine problems. Quick start. Steady idle. No hesitation or lurching.

I'll know more when I dig into the cleaning later in the week, but thought I might try to get an idea of what to look out for.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Keblar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Keblar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Keblar is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-2018, 03:45 PM   #2
Packard
Packard is a jewel in the roughPackard is a jewel in the roughPackard is a jewel in the rough

1995 SL1
Default Re: Air coming from EGR?

takin egr off and run it with out it and crank out all that carbon soot out . also good to use some carbon cleaner to release any buildup in the intake.toothbrush for 99ct helps at a dollar store. Or old one will do. Also vacuum leaks can cause insuffient flow to the egr . Low vacuum. Clean the exhaust and intake ports of the egr to see it helps with your lights on your dash . Check make sure hose going to intake dont have cracks . Especially the egr solenoid hoses going to intake. You can take a vacuum or a air pump to about 15 psi check for leaks . Also check the egr itself this can cause issues if it gets clogged it wont close fully causes a vacuum issue that can create a code. The emission system needs good vacuum also needs a good circuit A stuck egr pintle will show higher voltage

EGR valve fault codes:
P0401 EGR System Flow Insufficient.
P0403 EGR Solenoid Circuit.
P0404 EGR System Performance.
P0405 EGR Pintle Position Circuit Low Voltage.
P1404 EGR Valve Stuck Open.
P1406 EGR Valve Pintle Position.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Packard's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Packard reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Packard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 03:49 PM   #3
Packard
Packard is a jewel in the roughPackard is a jewel in the roughPackard is a jewel in the rough

1995 SL1

takin egr off and run it with out it and crank out all that carbon soot out . also good to use some carborator cleaner to release any buildup in the intake.toothbrush for 99ct helps at a dollar store. Or old one will do. Also vacuum leaks can cause insuffient flow to the egr . Low vacuum. Clean the exhaust and intake ports of the egr to see it helps with your lights on your dash . Check make sure hose going to intake dont have cracks . Especially the egr solenoid hoses going to intake. You can take a vacuum or a air pump to about 15 psi check for leaks . Also check the egr itself this can cause issues if it gets clogged it wont close fully causes a vacuum issue that can create a code. The emission system needs good vacuum also needs a good circuit A stuck egr pintle will show higher voltage if its stays higher voltage its clogged up take some cleaner acetone carbon cleaner alchol and take a screw driver and move it up and down and spin it as u go up and down to remove all that buildup. This will clear the passages and make it move without resistance. This will improve fuel economy . If u have open one this will make car run rich longer. Overheating the exhaust .

EGR valve fault codes:
P0401 EGR System Flow Insufficient.
P0403 EGR Solenoid Circuit.
P0404 EGR System Performance.
P0405 EGR Pintle Position Circuit Low Voltage.
P1404 EGR Valve Stuck Open.
P1406 EGR Valve Pintle Position.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Packard's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Packard reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Packard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 05:05 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Are you aware that P0410 - Secondary Air Injection System Malfunction

Read more at: https://www.obd-codes.com/p0410

It might help to update your profile to reflect what you're driving.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 05:12 PM   #5
Keblar

2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post

It might help to update your profile to reflect what you're driving.

Dammit! I'm usually so good about that too. I got too casual in haste.

2002 SL2 with just under 300k

Will add profile though.

And I mislabeled the video in the OP. SHOULD have said, not only will I be doing the cleaning procedure to check the EGR and gasket, but I'll be troubleshooting the P0410 code leading up to that.

THANKS!

Last edited by Keblar; 10-30-2018 at 05:23 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Keblar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-30-2018, 06:29 PM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

So, did you get a P0410 or P0401?

P0401 Insufficient EGR Flow

Read more at: https://www.obd-codes.com/p0401

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 08:29 PM   #7
Keblar

2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
So, did you get a P0410 or P0401?
P0410 only.

I don't know that the fault code actually has anything to do with the EGR. I would tend to think they're likely related though.

Whether it is or not, I primarily want to fix the code, but yes, I still want to figure out where the carbon and weird air jet in the EGR vicinity is coming from. If I'm troubleshooting the P0410, I'd probably eventually get to checking the EGR anyway.

2002 SL2 305k + Miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!