SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2018, 07:37 PM   #5621
jpsuli
jpsuli is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2
Default Re: What did you do to your S-Series today...

Went to the junkyard and grabbed a mirror to copy wizerdwolf I have yet to wire it up, but I know it works by just connecting it to a 12v battery. Mine is a compas and autodim only model from a L-series (Forgot that the Saturn Vue had the Temperature one, but that sounds like a pain to wire in for a proper job). If anyone grabs one of these, one with the green, black, yellow, and blue wires, the green wire is for turning off the autodim when connected to a 12v (Made for parking at night, but I never look at my rear mirror when reversing, I just use my head).

Also got a free bra for my SL2, I believe its for my 2nd generation but the hood bra fits fine. It's pretty filthy, but the guy just wanted it gone and offered it to me for free as soon as I said I'd pick it up that day (Was on CL for over a month), very nice man that didn't want to take my money.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mirror.jpg (89.6 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg bra.jpg (186.8 KB, 20 views)

'97 Saturn SL2 @ 134k

Breakin' stuff as we go.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jpsuli's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jpsuli reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jpsuli is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-2018, 08:07 PM   #5622
cgg17
cgg17 will become famous soon enoughcgg17 will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2
1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiex191 View Post
On the '99 Adam changed the oil. We did some looking for the leak and found the aftermarket oil pressure sensor was leaking. Put the original back in. He saw one tire was way low compared to the others, and found a screw in that tire. We did our first tubeless tire plug, will see how that holds up. On the '98, checked tire pressure and found they ranged from 16 to 22 psi. Now I know where my fuel economy went!
Tubeless seem to handle the plug well, I have 2 in my car (IIRC in one wheel) and they do not leak. As long as it is not in the sidewall or where the sidewall meets the tread it should be safe to plug.

1994 Sl2 5spd: 56,576 (Totaled 1/10/2018)
1995 Sl2 5spd Manual Swap: 150,062
1999 Sl2 4spd: 98,8xx

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cgg17's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cgg17 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cgg17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 08:53 PM   #5623
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the rough

1995 SC2

Drove the **** out of my SC2. 395 miles in the last two days, and just hitting the "E" line, so I still have about another 50-60 miles I can drive before it stalls.

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 05:11 PM   #5624
SRGW
Advanced Member
SRGW is a glorious beacon of lightSRGW is a glorious beacon of lightSRGW is a glorious beacon of lightSRGW is a glorious beacon of lightSRGW is a glorious beacon of light

1997 SL1
Post Re: What did you do to your S-Series today...

Changed oil [Walmart Synthetic] and [Purolator 20195] filter on 1997 SL1. Adjusted/cleaned squeaking right rear drum brake.

1995 SL1 236,300 2005>2018
1997 SL1 67,900 21 yrs. and Legal!!
CHECK YOUR OIL!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SRGW's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SRGW reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SRGW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 08:01 PM   #5625
nealt
nealt is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2

Quote:
Drove the **** out of my SC2. 395 miles in the last two days, and just hitting the "E" line, so I still have about another 50-60 miles I can drive before it stalls.
Drive the **** out of my 97 SC2 too over the weekend. 2600 miles to Rocky Mountain National Park with the Trail Ridge Road drive at 12000+ feet all the way from central Illinois at a base of 500 feet.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nealt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nealt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nealt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 08:04 PM   #5626
nealt
nealt is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2

By the way... that's my third trip with this little car to Rocky Mountain National Park. The fall colors of the Aspen trees are a must see this time of the year.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nealt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nealt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nealt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 07:03 AM   #5627
1996SW2
1996SW2 is on a distinguished road

1996 SW2
2000 SW2

Bought a 2000 SW2 Golden Nugget yesterday. Car is in overall great condition. Runs like a champ considering it had not been driven for four years. Supposedly it was started every month or so.. It did sail through inspection/emissions prior to purchase without even changing the plugs.

That being said, it aint all rosey. The passenger window is stuck about 4-5" down, still is and can't budge it. As a result, we've got a cat problem. If all else fails I'll have a 125k/mi engine, tranny and alot of plastic to sell. Even a salvaged interior would put it out of the smart dollar spent category. Wish me luck.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1996SW2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1996SW2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1996SW2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 08:54 AM   #5628
trottida
Master Member
trottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to behold

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996SW2 View Post
The passenger window is stuck about 4-5" down, still is and can't budge it.
Can't budge it using the window controls (power window or hand crank)?

Did you try pulling up on the window itself? There are little plastic slides that are prone to breaking and the window regulator becomes detached from the track. The slides cost about $8 from the dealer and you have to remove the door skin to install.

With broken slides, if you pull up on the window itself you should be able to get it closed and you may need a piece of duct tape to hold it until you can fix the underlying issue.

Otherwise, if the window won't budge you're probably looking a failed window regulator motor (assuming power windows).

2001 SL1 MT (423,500 km @ 10/2018)
1999 SL2 MT (267,940 km @ 10/2018)
2011 Suburban LT (116,506 km @ 10/2018)

Past Saturns
1993 SW2 AT
2001 LW200 MT
1992 SL2 MT

:canada:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 10:16 AM   #5629
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

You can 3D print the slide at your local university/ high school / community college for a buck or two

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=232010

I'm a little jealous because everything you buy in AZ is rust free

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 10:59 PM   #5630
1996SW2

1996 SW2
2000 SW2

That window won't budge at all. I've had broken slides on my Hoopty 's Drivers side rear since I bought her. How do you think I save so much on lock smiths. I jystvgot her home yesterday afternoon and wasnt able to pull the door skin.

I'm dealing with tge effervescent aroma currently. A plastic bag kept the rain out last night. I'd post up but this site is a PITA to do.

If someone has an easy way to download from my gallery to this site in one step, please let me know.

OH....Is there a typical stamp to identify an OEM front engine mount?

I'm shacking up with my buddy after the gal n I of 7yrs split. He hand his son built a 3d printer. I can have them do it here.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 1996SW2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-03-2018, 11:22 PM   #5631
1996SW2

1996 SW2
2000 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
You can 3D print the slide at your local university/ high school / community college for a buck or two

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=232010

I'm a little jealous because everything you buy in AZ is rust free
You should see the underside of this thing. If photos were easier but its super clean. I didnt even powerwash from drivers door back. What I did, I thought was crappy because it was raining and dark.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-04-2018, 12:00 AM   #5632
Zeebins
Zeebins is a name known to allZeebins is a name known to allZeebins is a name known to allZeebins is a name known to allZeebins is a name known to allZeebins is a name known to all

1997 SL2

May not have any rust but does the A/C work? I can't imagine Arizona summers are easy on the A/C in any car.

"Tupperware on wheels"
1997 SL2, 110K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Zeebins's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Zeebins reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Zeebins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 01:07 AM   #5633
1996SW2

1996 SW2
2000 SW2

Yes, works like a champ, actually. Most if the time it's the high or low charge valves as to why folks lose freon. I was surprised about alot of things like the date code 2/14 battery us still turning it over.

This was the biggest surprise was the spark plugs. For a vehicle that had only been started once in a great while, never changed oil (was dark but not aweful) and had no real start vup procedure, these plugs are the best I've ever seen. Only one grab n turn inside a paper towel. Getting a lesson on this one for sure. Still think its a good car though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20181003_214223_crop_711x747.jpg (69.4 KB, 9 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-07-2018, 03:37 AM   #5634
wizerdwolf
wizerdwolf is on a distinguished road

2001 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsuli View Post
IIRC the temperature sensor is not in the mirror... I may snag a Cobalt rear view mirror next time at the junkyard as those have extra lists and an auto dim built into the mirror.

Your mirror may be already calibrated with the compass, but...
I hooked my temp sensor up in front, and now that I've been driving around I have seen it change, but thanks for noting that anyway. I did check the calibration of my compass, but as it turns out, it's already correct.

What kind of extra lists does the Cobalt mirror have? Will it slot directly into the existing mounting point on our windshield? I personally avoided the OnStar equipped mirrors as I hate having extra, unused buttons littering the userspace.

Also, I had already done the hood strut mod on my car, and never had to cut any of the foam (though it did eventually put depressions of its own in the foam, if I recall correctly). I originally pulled jy struts that still worked for the F150 hood, but it wasn't enough to lift my hood as the angle we connect them at has less mechanical advantage. With a new set of struts though, I only have to lift the hood a couple inches before it shoots up on its own.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wizerdwolf's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wizerdwolf reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wizerdwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 03:21 PM   #5635
Zeebins
Zeebins is a name known to allZeebins is a name known to allZeebins is a name known to allZeebins is a name known to allZeebins is a name known to allZeebins is a name known to all

1997 SL2

Finally tackled painting the drip guards again this past week. Still not perfect but way better that my first try at painting them. (or spray painting anything for that matter) Orange peel is defiantly my biggest enemy here but hey, its red, and kinda reflective. A lot more reflective than my first go anyway and still way better looking that the bleached red that was there before. So I'll take it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg one.jpg (107.1 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4451.jpg (167.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4730.jpg (144.1 KB, 11 views)

"Tupperware on wheels"
1997 SL2, 110K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Zeebins reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-10-2018, 02:12 PM   #5636
Zeebins

1997 SL2

"New" (junkyard) coolant cap. Apparently, they aren't supposed to hiss when hot.

"Tupperware on wheels"
1997 SL2, 110K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-10-2018, 03:04 PM   #5637
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

They sell new ones at the parts store and they tend to leak/fail after the first overheat event, replace after any coolant ejection event.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 03:28 PM   #5638
Zeebins

1997 SL2

I've never had any overheating problems so I'm not sure how the old one failed. Probably just age.

"Tupperware on wheels"
1997 SL2, 110K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-10-2018, 05:37 PM   #5639
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Previous owner may have boiled it over.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 05:59 PM   #5640
A2Saturn
A2Saturn is on a distinguished road

1994 SL1

Had Big O Tires change out front and rear Monroe Quik-struts.
They were about 5 years old and 100k miles on them. Replaced under the Tenneco lifetime warranty. The newer ones are much quieter than the last set.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to A2Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help A2Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
A2Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote