SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2018, 04:47 PM   #1
TheFuzzyMuffalo
TheFuzzyMuffalo is on a distinguished road

2001 SC1
Default Saturn Performance Advice

Hello everyone, Im super new to forums and Saturns I bought a 2001 sc1 a few weeks back and its in decent shape and I already own a nice car and truck (well truck is kinda broken at the moment). so I wanted a little project car and I know a little about car performance. Saturns so far people either like it or hate it and everyone has tried to turn me away from this as a platform and go with a Honda or some jp car that has tons of mods and tons of resources for it. But saying that I like sleeper cars always have and I think Saturns are really underrated because of this. Im looking to get hopefully really hoping for 300 HP out of it or at least 250. I know I need to do the DOHC swap which I plan to once winter passes. So in that mean time I wanted to work on the body, suspension, handling, braking and any other mods that will transfer easy to the engine swap. Im not super broke so I can spend some money but reasonable at the same time Im looking for a speedy little sleeper. If anyone can give me a shout back or keep a forum going that would be awesome ill be on here lots. Thanks and have a good day guys

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TheFuzzyMuffalo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TheFuzzyMuffalo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TheFuzzyMuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2018, 09:43 PM   #2
jpsuli
jpsuli is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2
Default Re: Saturn Performance Advice

I don't believe the gear box will be able to keep up with such a powerful engine, though I could be wrong. You can of course swap the engine. I have seen a Redline engine in a Saturn S-series, but I assume one must be pretty handy with cars to get that going. Otherwise there is one person with an LS in theres. On the Saturn subreddit, there is this link, though I can not vouch if any of the information is still valid today, Here is the link.. This link may be the best if you wish to keep the 1.9L DOHC once swapped.

I can't help you with handling, but replacing suspension parts; ie, struts, rubber, sway bars, etc. will just make the car feel nicer. Motor mounts with alleviate the car from vibrating as much as it does.

It's not the answer you want to hear, but the fact of the matter is that these cars are kept because they are reliable and cheap to maintain. JP cars are nicer in the fact that their aftermarket scene is much richer in parts than the Saturn.

'97 Saturn SL2 @ 134k

Breakin' stuff as we go.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jpsuli's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jpsuli reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jpsuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 10:20 PM   #3
Zeebins
Zeebins is a name known to allZeebins is a name known to allZeebins is a name known to allZeebins is a name known to allZeebins is a name known to allZeebins is a name known to all

1997 SL2

There is one guy on youtube who swapped an ecotech from an 07 ion redline into a sw2. He hasn't posted a new video in a while but one of the more recent ones is of it actually driving for the first time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XI29ciPxaPQ

"Tupperware on wheels"
1997 SL2, 110K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Zeebins's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Zeebins reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Zeebins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 07:32 AM   #4
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Energy Suspension for the bushing kit, front & rear. I believe the front sway bar to control arm bushing should stay OEM rubber, the ES stuff wears out pretty quick in that location.

Front & Rear DOHC sway bar. Front bar just bolts in, no other changes while the rear bar requires the brackets to be added (subframe and strut).

KYB makes the closest we have to bolt in performance struts, though with modifications to the mounts Subaru struts bolt in.

H&R sport springs are the most available performance springs, they have the downside of lowering the car about 1.3in.

Until recently there was no way to control the automatics when swapping to a standalone PCM so everyone pushing 200-500hp is using a stock 5spd, maybe with a welded/reinforced differential pin.

150-160hp would be doable with stock parts, no turbo required but 250-300 requires around 10psi.

Go browse sixthsphere.com, they have tons more mod information.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 07:40 AM   #5
19boneatock88
19boneatock88 is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Sedan
2006 ION-2 Quad Coupe

For 300whp I think you want an Ecotec swap; it would be pretty expensive to build the LLO to take that much power... just doing an LSJ swap would make a really quick S series... they can approach 300whp pullied and on E85 (with supporting mods and good tune) or you can turbo swap the LSJ and approach 400whp with relative ease and without opening the engine up...

Jerama- WV

2004 Saturn Ion-2 sedan
L61/F23(M86), 139k...
Too many mods to list in sig...

“Stock” is nowhere in my vocabulary...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 19boneatock88's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 19boneatock88 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
19boneatock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 02:43 PM   #6
AlexofNazareth
Master Member
AlexofNazareth will become famous soon enough

2002 SL1
2006 VUE Red Line

Unless you enjoy causing yourself pain and suffering, just go with a different platform. Yeah, you'll have to deal with fanbois, but at least they have an aftermarket solution for just about everything.

'02 SL1.414213562^2, Deebs ftw

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AlexofNazareth's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AlexofNazareth reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AlexofNazareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 09:58 PM   #7
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the rough

1995 SC2

Take Fetch's advice on the suspension upgrades, and get some P195/60 R15 H-Rated tires and 15" SC2 wheels for it.

Since you are shooting for 300 HP, you will want to invest in a MegaSquirt standalone ECU, and definitely a 5-speed manual transmission. The automatic can only hold about 200 HP, before the clutches start slipping. The manual transmission has more precise gear ratios for the powerband rpm range as well.

Automatics shift @ 6k, back to about 4,200 rpm and peak torque is @ 4,800 rpm, so the auto shifts below the power band, which hurts acceleration.

The stock block 1.9L engine can handle 300HP, but will need a decent turbo kit and properly matched set of manifolds and exhaust system, as well as an intercooler.

Do NOT use the Scrap-O-Tec boat anchor swap ideas mentioned in this thread.

Those engines are known for trashing the valves with carbon deposits, on the "direct-injection" turbo models. The early supercharged/turbocharged Scrap-O-Tecs have a porous block that is prone to cracking.

The water pump is geared into the timing chain, which means WHEN it begins leaking, the oil mixes with the coolant and seizes the engine up.

And aside from all that, the Scrap-O-Tec engine family is prone to timing chain failures due to a design flaw with the tensioner, and I am sure the power steering pump being driven by the intake camshaft has no ill-effects or adds load to the timing chain at all.....(sarcasm).

And as far as JP cars, well you COULD go that route, but most of those cars can't break 12s in the ¼-mile on a stock block engine(meaning they HAVE to swap from a more powerful engine family designed for the larger JP platforms), racing slicks, and 110-octane race fuel.

Here is a video, of a first-gen SL2 that is turbocharged and runs 11.937 @ 119mph as a daily driver:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=C9uIOHK5JQ0

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 03:07 AM   #8
GTS350
GTS350 is a jewel in the roughGTS350 is a jewel in the roughGTS350 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexofNazareth View Post
Unless you enjoy causing yourself pain and suffering, just go with a different platform. Yeah, you'll have to deal with fanbois, but at least they have an aftermarket solution for just about everything.
I have to agree.

1999 Saturn SC2 (automatic) 23,000 orig miles (9/10/16)
1996 BMW E36
1971 Holden Monaro GTS 350
1908 Buick Model 10

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GTS350's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GTS350 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GTS350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 11:20 AM   #9
TheFuzzyMuffalo

2001 SC1

Thanks so much for all the reply's guys. I know im asking for alot with this kind of car I was hoping for the 220+HP out of it not 300. it seems alittle high and I wanna keep my 5pd manual transmission and not redo the whole car I knew for sure I would need a turbo kit to push anything above 200 and I wanted to swap out a Geo throttle body and shave the heads a bit for more compression a true cold air intake and a new exhaust would you guys think this might be a little more feasible ?. (I have the sc1 manual 5pd transmission so i know I have the right transmission just need to do the drop and these mods ) Im not looking for a race car or I would of bought a JP car. I just like getting the most out of my cars without breaking them you know ?) I think with the car being as lightweight as it is and add that 120HP to it would make it really quick. If anyone has pictures or links that would help lots and Ill take pictures as I go

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help TheFuzzyMuffalo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-29-2018, 02:56 PM   #10
AlexofNazareth
Master Member

2002 SL1
2006 VUE Red Line

The only way to gain 120hp is a turbo. Then guesstimate 3 grand and 1-2 years that it sits as you start adding junk on and most likely break stuff.

Just DOHC swap it, leave it NA and enjoy driving it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help AlexofNazareth reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-29-2018, 08:31 PM   #11
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the rough

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFuzzyMuffalo View Post
Thanks so much for all the reply's guys. I know im asking for alot with this kind of car I was hoping for the 220+HP out of it not 300. it seems alittle high and I wanna keep my 5pd manual transmission and not redo the whole car I knew for sure I would need a turbo kit to push anything above 200 and I wanted to swap out a Geo throttle body and shave the heads a bit for more compression a true cold air intake and a new exhaust would you guys think this might be a little more feasible ?. (I have the sc1 manual 5pd transmission so i know I have the right transmission just need to do the drop and these mods ) Im not looking for a race car or I would of bought a JP car. I just like getting the most out of my cars without breaking them you know ?) I think with the car being as lightweight as it is and add that 120HP to it would make it really quick. If anyone has pictures or links that would help lots and Ill take pictures as I go
I dropped a link to a daily driven(pump gas), first-gen SL2 that runs 11s i the quarter mile. So, tell me again about how great JP cars are for racing, when most of them do not male torque until 7,000rpms.....

And if you have the SC1, you have the MP2 transmission. This is better for a turbo/DOHC build, because the turbo will add low-rpm torque and widen you power band rpm range.

Do NOT shave the head for higher compression, because it retards mechanical camshaft timing, which also changes dynamic compression and causes performance LOSS.

With a boosted engine, you want to reduce compression, from 9.5:1, to about 8.0-8.5:1.

Don't believe me? Check the compression ratio of the Supercharged 3800 Series-II/III engines.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buick_V6_engine

As quotedSeries-II 3800 V6) "The L67 is the supercharged version of the 3800 Series II L36 and appeared in 1996, one year after the normally aspirated version. It uses the Eaton Generation III M90 supercharger with a 3.8" pulley, a larger throttle body, and different fuel injectors, different cylinder heads, as well as different lower intake manifold and pistons than the L36 uses. Both engines share the same engine blocks, but compression is reduced from 9.4:1 in the L36 to 8.5:1 for the L67." Emphasis added by me, before you build an engine incorrectly and blow the cylinder head sky high.

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 08:06 PM   #12
AlexofNazareth
Master Member

2002 SL1
2006 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn Night View Post
I dropped a link to a daily driven(pump gas), first-gen SL2 that runs 11s i the quarter mile. So, tell me again about how great JP cars are for racing, when most of them do not male torque until 7,000rpms.....

And if you have the SC1, you have the MP2 transmission. This is better for a turbo/DOHC build, because the turbo will add low-rpm torque and widen you power band rpm range.

Do NOT shave the head for higher compression, because it retards mechanical camshaft timing, which also changes dynamic compression and causes performance LOSS.

With a boosted engine, you want to reduce compression, from 9.5:1, to about 8.0-8.5:1.

Don't believe me? Check the compression ratio of the Supercharged 3800 Series-II/III engines.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buick_V6_engine

As quotedSeries-II 3800 V6) "The L67 is the supercharged version of the 3800 Series II L36 and appeared in 1996, one year after the normally aspirated version. It uses the Eaton Generation III M90 supercharger with a 3.8" pulley, a larger throttle body, and different fuel injectors, different cylinder heads, as well as different lower intake manifold and pistons than the L36 uses. Both engines share the same engine blocks, but compression is reduced from 9.4:1 in the L36 to 8.5:1 for the L67." Emphasis added by me, before you build an engine incorrectly and blow the cylinder head sky high.
*Sigh*....no

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-01-2018, 08:47 PM   #13
TheFuzzyMuffalo

2001 SC1

Yeah I want to do the swap and put the turbo in it to try and make my goals and the reason I wanted to work on it in the first place is because its different and no one thinks a Saturn is fast lol, so winning a race will be that much sweeter. Having the torque will be fun to drive around and for the comments about breaking things and hurting my wallet I thought that was the whole reason for a project car ? I have a good working driving family ride this is just my beater/project car. So I know things will break Im pushing the limits of this engine and i know parts should be harder to find but I like the challenge. I was wondering though for the people that don't mind showing the support ( Which is super greatly appreciated ) Could I use a ECO turbo from a mustang (which i think would be to small ) or from another vehicle I could find ?.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-01-2018, 09:42 PM   #14
AlexofNazareth
Master Member

2002 SL1
2006 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFuzzyMuffalo View Post
Yeah I want to do the swap and put the turbo in it to try and make my goals and the reason I wanted to work on it in the first place is because its different and no one thinks a Saturn is fast lol, so winning a race will be that much sweeter. Having the torque will be fun to drive around and for the comments about breaking things and hurting my wallet I thought that was the whole reason for a project car ? I have a good working driving family ride this is just my beater/project car. So I know things will break Im pushing the limits of this engine and i know parts should be harder to find but I like the challenge. I was wondering though for the people that don't mind showing the support ( Which is super greatly appreciated ) Could I use a ECO turbo from a mustang (which i think would be to small ) or from another vehicle I could find ?.
We all start with that feeling. And after all the time/effort/facepalming, you really begin to question why.

Go to sixthsphere.com for all the turbo questions. We are better equipped to handle your inquiries over there.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-02-2018, 09:52 AM   #15
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Low Saturn's car is always fun to look at, and the tech articles are good, too

http://www.differentracing.com/

+1 on going to 6s for performance info. I don't really follow what is going on at 6s, since I have limited time, skills, and budget at the moment, but there was an interesting front end swap (with either a cobalt or Ion?) that looked like it might be fun in a few years. Probably more aftermarket support for parts, too.

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 10:57 AM   #16
SlushWagon
SlushWagon is on a distinguished road

1994 SW2

Basically you looking at swapping in a dohc/megasquirt and put together a turbo set up for 250hp at the crank if I understand your goal. All if doable if you have the skills or will pay someone else to do.
Butttttt it's the small things that stop people. You'll need to upgrade your fuel system in areas to meet this goal, I'd personally build the bottom end and have it balanced. Weld that diff pin before it flys out, if you have the transmission opened up and come this far why not toss in a quaife? Megasquirt will make life much easier on you for tuning.
6S has all the info you need on this subject as well as some starter tuning files for simple turbo set ups to get you started.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SlushWagon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SlushWagon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SlushWagon is offline   Reply With Quote