SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2006, 07:31 PM   #1
Ntsrkdw6150
Ntsrkdw6150 is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2
Default New Member that needs help with car

hi i just joined this site because i have a saturn and its has a few problems. hoping someone could clue me in on how i could go about and fix it. i have a 1994 sl1 automatic it has about 96,000 miles on it (well what its counted) its in ok shape. it was owned before me by an older couple who only drove it under 3,000 miles a year. but it still needs some work.

problems
runs really rich
gets 13-14 miles to a gallon
randomly doesnt wanna start
"service engine soon" light comes on 15 miles after i started it and will turn off again?
replaced a coolant temp sensor and a map sensor
ran injector cleaner thru.

so if anyone wants to help me me out and give me some advice on what to do with it.. it would be really nice

thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ntsrkdw6150's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ntsrkdw6150 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ntsrkdw6150 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2006, 09:46 PM   #2
Ntsrkdw6150

1994 SL2
Default Re: New Member that needs help with car

there she is
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8a969988.jpg (32.2 KB, 15 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Ntsrkdw6150 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-11-2006, 10:17 PM   #3
SaturnManiac
Master Member
SaturnManiac is on a distinguished road

She's purdy, Are you sure she's an SL1....cause she looks like an SL2 to me.

Anyways, by coolant temp sensor, I guess you mean the ECTS...if not, then replace the ECTS....also you need to replace/check the ECTS wiring and connector. What about the oxygen sensor?! When you have trouble starting it, does it happen more when cold or warm/hot (car's temp)?!

I like yer avatar, Mater from Cars, LOL.

R.I.P. - My 1996 Saturn SL2, "Psycho" - 7/95-2/17/06

R.I.P. - My 2000 Saturn SL2, "Sexy" - 11/24/99-8/05/08

If you're a car begging for your life, wouldn't you want someone to add fluids?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnManiac's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnManiac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 10:21 PM   #4
supersaturnSL1
supersaturnSL1 is on a distinguished road

1996 SL1

i have a 1996 sl1 hes amazing and never lets me down..... unless its cold then hes like me he dont wanna start up and iv got to bump start him. any idea what that could be????

satty luv

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to supersaturnSL1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help supersaturnSL1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
supersaturnSL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 10:42 PM   #5
Ntsrkdw6150

1994 SL2

haha im pretty sure its an sl1. but im not sure. its my first saturn. my bf accually replaced coolant temp sen. and the map sen. it was broke and extremly dirty.. it doesnt start randomly doesnt matter temp. itll start fine ill drive like 10-15 mintues turn it off get back in and it wont start. and when it does it runs like crap shifts really hard. ill put it in reverse and i swear it sounds like the motors gonna fall out! but if i restart it when i does that its fine.i think she has pms. i just got codes read today at a ford dealship. they got 5 codes. but they wanted use to call a saturn dealer to make sure that the codes r right. thanks for ur replays. ill have to check out what u suggested. i hope i get get it running great. it would be really nice to get more then 13 miles to the gallon. any other suggestions r welcomed u all seem so friendly to help and know what ur talking about. its really nice thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-11-2006, 10:57 PM   #6
harsha
Advanced Member
harsha is on a distinguished road

Take the car to autozone or some parts store, they can get the codes read for free. Rite them down and post the actual "codes" not the description they tell.

How does the spark plugs and wires look? were they replaced recently??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to harsha's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help harsha reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
harsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 03:06 AM   #7
rachelle018
rachelle018 is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Wrench Re: New Member that needs help with car

If you have the book it will tell you that if the check engine light comes on and then goes out a while later that means that your car had a minor malfunction and has fixed itself. I only know this because mine was doing the same thing. It also says that the only time that it is really serious is if the service light with the wrench comes on. The other things that might be wrong is if you had recently drove through or on a wet road, some computerized stuff could have gotten wet (it will dry and be okay). Or if you recently got gas and your gas cap is not on all the way. I hope this helped you out a little bit.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rachelle018's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rachelle018 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rachelle018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 02:52 PM   #8
Ntsrkdw6150

1994 SL2

i did try to get it scanned at autozone and they told me they couldnt do it because its a obd1 so i got it scanned at my mom dealership (ford) i have a copy of the codes it pulled with the numbers. it came up with 32,11,72,74,27 and as for wet roads. i dont really drive in rain its very rare. its getting better slowly. it doesnt shift as hard anymore with the light. i just need probably clear my codes (i was told to unplug the battery for like 30 mins?) so mayby that will help too. if anything all i really want out of the car is good gas mileage. it seems like im only working to put gas in it and for insurence (low insurence rate) i spent more money on gas a month the for insurence? well let me know on those code see if they r the same as what ford gave me. thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-12-2006, 05:40 PM   #9
spartsguy29
spartsguy29 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Sedan

New plugs, plugwires, clean the coil grounds, replace the fuel filter.... any one of these things could help.

You get what you pay for. This applies in all aspects of life, like it or not.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spartsguy29's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spartsguy29 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
spartsguy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 06:21 PM   #10
SaturnManiac
Master Member

32 is EGR valve. Clean the EGR valve and if that doesn't work and the code 32 comes back, you'll probably have to replace the EGR valve. (Search the how-to library on how to clean the EGR valve)

72 means the cooling system temp is low....what kind of work has been done on the cooling system, and did he replace the ECTS with the correct one?! Has the thermostat been changed by any chance?! The ECTS should've come from Saturn directly, I personally wouldn't trust aftermarket on it. Also, it should be replaced with a brass-tiped one, not the resin-tiped (plastic tip) one.....the plastic tiped ones would crack and that would cause a buttload of problems.

Just out of curiousity, but is the car an automatic?! And does it slam into reverse?!

The easiest way to tell if it's an SL2 is does it say TWIN CAM on the back of the car?! Also, the engine would say twin cam or DOHC. But, I'm pretty sure it's an SL2, just by looking at it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnManiac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-12-2006, 09:25 PM   #11
Ntsrkdw6150

1994 SL2

i did replace the coolant temp sensor. i got the brass tiped one for it.. and after that was done my gague in my cluster for the temp doesnt work now would that mean theres a problem? it is an automatic. and when the check engine soon lights on.. its slams into gears. and as for sl2. it probably is it does say twin cam on the back. i dont remember what the head gasket says i no it says 16v. probably doesnt mean anything really important? i was told tonight by a guy at my work who had a 93 sc1 he got 26 miles to the gallon and he was telling me something about my exhust might be the problem. can anyone comfirm that? ill try cleaning that ERG this weekend if i get time thank for the help ill check into all the things u all suggested. im learning alot about saturns. thanks for everyones help

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-12-2006, 11:57 PM   #12
SaturnManiac
Master Member

EGR is one of the problems. But I think something went wrong with that whole coolant temp sensor installation....I sure hope you installed it in the right spot....and did you change the wiring?! You should've replaced the wiring/connector. Also, I hope you didn't overtighten it.....just tighten it in enough to get it in.....I've heard of people overtightening them and that causing a problem.

Check all wiring that you possibly can, and make sure there are no loose connections. Also check the connections at the battery....clean them if needed.

What kind of spark plugs are you using, and what kind of spark plug wires?!

If you haven't done so already, go ahead and replace the PCV valve with a new OEM one from SATURN.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-13-2006, 01:21 PM   #13
blackeagle1
blackeagle1 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2
1997 SC2

It could also be a clogged catalytic converter. Does the car seem to lack power? One way to check is to remove the oxygen sensor to relieve some of the backpressure and see if it makes a difference.

Current Fleet:
97 Black Gold SC2 Manual
97 Silver SC2 Auto
98 White SL2 Auto
00 Silver SL2 Auto
03 Pontiac Montana
00 Yamaha SUV1200 Waverunner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blackeagle1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blackeagle1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blackeagle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 03:34 PM   #14
Bigdaddy94sc2
Bigdaddy94sc2 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Sedan
2005 VUE 3.5L

11. Transaxle Codes present
32. EGR system fault
26. Quad Driver output fault
72. Coolinng system temeprature low
74. CTS/transaxle temperatuer sensor ratio error

First thing to check, is the connector to the ECTS. If it is green and gross, replace it. If it is bad, even with a new sensor, it will read way too low. 72 &74 are related. If the temp readings between CTS and TFT sensor are too far off, it will pop these codes and run in a "limp" mode. Meaning you might actually see better driving conditions....

32 & 26 together mean it is probably both your EGR solenoid and EGR valve. COuld just be one of them seperately but more often than not, it is both. You may have read 27, but if it isnt a 93, it is the same code as 26. It is a quad driver fault quickset, meaning there is a problem there that is evident to the computer on startup....

Check the connector for the ECT, if it is green inside, replace it.

BTW, hate to ask and possibly insult your BF, but are you sure he replaced the right sensor. There are 2 sensors on 94s, one for the gauge in the car, and one for the computer. The one for the gauge has a 1 wire, green, going to it. The one for the computer has 2 wires, yellow and black, and is farther down the block, almost under the EGR valve. Make sure that is the case.

GM, Saturn, and ASE certified Technician. Always glad to try to help, just ask!!! Now own an 06 ION.2 as of 7/2/06 with 2988 and counting (7/28/06) 13131 as of (1/8/07) 24901 as of (7/30/07)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bigdaddy94sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bigdaddy94sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bigdaddy94sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 03:54 PM   #15
SaturnManiac
Master Member

That's why I said something about are you sure the right sensor was replaced, LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddy94sc2 View Post
BTW, hate to ask and possibly insult your BF, but are you sure he replaced the right sensor. There are 2 sensors on 94s, one for the gauge in the car, and one for the computer. The one for the gauge has a 1 wire, green, going to it. The one for the computer has 2 wires, yellow and black, and is farther down the block, almost under the EGR valve. Make sure that is the case.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-13-2006, 03:55 PM   #16
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntsrkdw6150 View Post
i did replace the coolant temp sensor. i got the brass tiped one for it.. and after that was done my gague in my cluster for the temp doesnt work now would that mean theres a problem?
Sounds like you replaced the wrong sensor. The gauge works from a sensor with a single wire connector. The ECTS is right next to it; it has a two-wire connector. Which one did you replace? If you replaced the one with the one-wire connector, and installed an ECTS (which has two pins), that would explain both the malfunctioning gauge, and the fact that it didn't fix anything. That also means you removed a good gauge sensor; if you saved it, reinstall it, and move the new ECTS in to replace the old one. If you didn't save the old gauge sensor, you're gonna need to buy one to get the gauge working again.
Quote:
and as for sl2. it probably is it does say twin cam on the back.
You can always determine what model of car you have from what the title says. But if it says "Twin Cam" on the rear reflector panel (well, if there is a rear reflector panel), and it's a sedan, then indeed it's an SL2.
Quote:
i dont remember what the head gasket says i no it says 16v. probably doesnt mean anything really important?
That's the cam cover, and it just verifies that you have an SL2 ("16V" is, in the case of our engines, synonymous with "Twin Cam" [aka "DOHC"]). You'd have no way of knowing what the head gasket "says", as it's firmly sandwiched between the engine block and the cylinder head.
Quote:
i was told tonight by a guy at my work who had a 93 sc1 he got 26 miles to the gallon and he was telling me something about my exhust might be the problem.
Your co-worker is actually getting pretty bad MPG for an SOHC. If you get your car running right, you'll probably best him on MPG, with a more powerful engine. Or, send him our way and maybe we can improve his MPG.

It could be an exhaust restriction, a clogged catalytic or what-not. Get that ECTS mix-up un-mixed first, though, before speculating (or spending money) on anything else.

Oh, and it's MUCH easier for forum readers to derive meaning from your posts when you punctuate and capitalize where appropriate. This is not a chat room; you have time to compose, and that time saves readers more time and grief.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 04:51 PM   #17
Ntsrkdw6150

1994 SL2

thanks for everyones help. ill have to check some of those things out..im kinda already sick my car. its causing me more problems and too much money. i might go the imported car way. im not happy with my saturn at all. so im considering trading it in for something better. paying $40-$50 a week for gas is crazy and im in high school and i dont make enough to even really do anything with it anyways. its not worth doing all this work to it and wasting all my money on if its gonna cost more then what its even worth. i dont care about how u properly post on this site. if u dont like it.. too bad. so thanks to everyone who puts up with my posting styles and responds and helps me out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!