SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2010, 12:01 AM   #1
AndreasChen
Advanced Member
AndreasChen is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2
Default How much MMO to add in the oil?

Hi,

I read 10%-25% of MMO from their official guide. I found the thing to be thin like water so if I use 5W-30 full synthetic, is it safe to mix 1-MMO and 3-OIL?

Thanks!

02 Saturn SC2, noisy, trying to quiet it down...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AndreasChen's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AndreasChen reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AndreasChen is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2010, 12:19 AM   #2
Tiger
Master Member
Tiger is a jewel in the roughTiger is a jewel in the roughTiger is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
Default Re: How much MMO to add in the oil?

I have done it, but have added EP Moly, which is very thick. Mostly, I have used 16 oz MMO, 12 oz. EP Moly and the rest oil. Mine uses oil. It smoked more when using a quart of MMO. But, my car has never run stronger. OldNuc does not recommend MMO. I am temped to do a UOA next time I use it to see how the engine wear numbers are. I believe 16 oz MMO does enough for my car.

Truth alone triumphs, not untruth.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tiger's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tiger reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 12:30 AM   #3
AndreasChen
Advanced Member
AndreasChen is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2

Thanks!
What is OldNuc speaking about MMO?

02 Saturn SC2, noisy, trying to quiet it down...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AndreasChen's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AndreasChen reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AndreasChen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 12:41 AM   #4
Tiger
Master Member
Tiger is a jewel in the roughTiger is a jewel in the roughTiger is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreasChen View Post
Thanks!
What is OldNuc speaking about MMO?
I looked for the thread where it was discussed. He may chime in with his thoughts any minute now.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Tiger reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-06-2010, 01:27 AM   #5
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

I am not a fan of additives for engine oil or transmission fluid. It is better to just buy a higher quality product to start with.

To do any good with UOA you need to do several so you have a trend. Or you have to figure that everything that is in the sampled oil was added furring the use cycle sampled. Then the composition of the virgin oil becomes your reference point.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 10:05 AM   #6
Tiger
Master Member

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
I am not a fan of additives for engine oil or transmission fluid. It is better to just buy a higher quality product to start with.

To do any good with UOA you need to do several so you have a trend. Or you have to figure that everything that is in the sampled oil was added furring the use cycle sampled. Then the composition of the virgin oil becomes your reference point.
That is not going to happen. I barely have enough time to change my oil. I will continue to use MMO. I was interested in one UOA to see if what you said is true. If I recall correctly you indicated MMO would not provide proper lubrication, especially at high speed driving for a length of time. I will use a heavier oil or the Moly EP when using MMO. I was thinking HDEO 15w-40 with a pint of MMO as a cleaning combination. Then it would be closer to a 10w-30.

To the OP, you may want to go to the Marvel Mystery Oil (Turtle Wax) forum for more info.

http://www.marvelmysteryoil.com/inde...s/viewforum/2/

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-06-2010, 10:41 AM   #7
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
... I will use a heavier oil or the Moly EP when using MMO. I was thinking HDEO 15w-40 with a pint of MMO as a cleaning combination. Then it would be closer to a 10w-30.
That would be a better solution as the failure mechanism you are concerned with is film failure under load and having the oil film thin out due to low viscosity.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-06-2010, 11:06 PM   #8
Tiger
Master Member

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
That would be a better solution as the failure mechanism you are concerned with is film failure under load and having the oil film thin out due to low viscosity.
Also, along those lines I don't think I will use the MMO this summer when there is extra heat. My car has never run stronger after using MMO, so I think it is doing some cleaning. I know that is not scientific, but after driving it 90,000 miles subtle changes are noticeable. If I could get time to do a compression test that might give some hard data. It was in the low 180's pre-MMO.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-07-2010, 12:28 AM   #9
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The real purpose of MMO was to clean and unstick compression rings. Your compression may have gone up. That would do it performance wise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-07-2010, 02:21 AM   #10
quiksc2
Master Member
quiksc2 has a spectacular aura aboutquiksc2 has a spectacular aura aboutquiksc2 has a spectacular aura about

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I would use MMO or seafoam before you're getting ready to do an oil change. Put it in, go maybe 500 miles, change the oil. I wouldn't use any additive more often than that.

If I wanted ride quality, I would drive a Cadillac. If I wanted to be a sheep, I would drive something that says Vtec on the side of it...
DCS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to quiksc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help quiksc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
quiksc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 09:34 AM   #11
Tiger
Master Member

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiksc2 View Post
I would use MMO or seafoam before you're getting ready to do an oil change. Put it in, go maybe 500 miles, change the oil. I wouldn't use any additive more often than that.
That is how I used it the first time. Since I use oil I just used it to top off about 700 miles before the oil change. Now, I put it in at the beginning of the oil change, before oil has had a chance to shear. At the MMO website the general instruction is to run it 3,000 miles. I have topped off with 5 quarts of oil by then, so MMO does not stay in my engine that long. I am hoping it will clean the ring packs and bring life back to the oil control rings.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!