SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2013, 12:15 PM   #1
98saturnsc2
98saturnsc2 is on a distinguished road

Default 97 SW2 Cooling Fan

Just picked up a 97 SW2 with 132K on it. Initially when it was running the day I bought it, the cooling fan was running after the engine was off. Now, cooling fan is not engaging. This is causing it to run warm. Is this Cooling Temparture Sensor that is not good? I had a 98 SC2 that I replaced this on.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 98saturnsc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 98saturnsc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
98saturnsc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2013, 12:57 PM   #2
ahimsa1
ahimsa1 is on a distinguished road

1997 SW1
Default Re: 97 SW2 Cooling Fan

On your 97 the same ECTS that makes the fan come on also runs the temp gauge in the instrument cluster. If the gauge isn't reading hot when the car is hot then the ECTS could be bad, but if it is reading hot but the fan isn't coming on you likely have a different problem, maybe the fan relay in the underhood junction box.

97 SW1 Auto 174k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ahimsa1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ahimsa1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ahimsa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:47 PM   #3
98saturnsc2

It is not running as hot as the day I bought it. It was low on water that day, so temp went up to 3/4 and fan was working. It was at half the other day with water level full. I am not sure if AC on it is working either yet as I know that is another way to get the fan to kick on. Temp may not have been high enough to turn the fan on without AC. Also, swapped relays in the fuse box and that made no difference.

Separately from that radiator on it has a small leak so needs to be changed out. Does anyone know if a radiator out of a 98 sc2 will work in this 97 sw2?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 98saturnsc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-07-2013, 01:48 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Replace the coolant sensor. Its probably the faulty one. The fan will run only if a/c works. Dead a/c, no fan to test.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg plastic cts.jpg (41.9 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg brass cts.jpg (28.5 KB, 0 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:57 PM   #5
98saturnsc2

I am suspecting its ECTS is bad/faulty. So that is the first thing I am going to change on it.

What are my radiator options? Will a 98sc2 radiator work?

It is interesting to see the comment, no AC, no fan because the 98 had no AC for 3 years before it lost commpression in cylinder 3. Does that mean the cooling fan was never kicking on? Compressor would engage, just no charge in the system.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-07-2013, 02:11 PM   #6
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

It's only the easy test of the cooling fan that doesn't work if A/C doesn't get turned on by the PCM after you hit the button. The "harder" test is to take a 16ga test wire (~4in long) and jump pins 30->87 on the relay spot.

Radiator's fit any model, '91-'93.5 and '93.5-'02.

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 02:25 PM   #7
wi111y
Advanced Member
wi111y is on a distinguished road

1995 SL
1995 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98saturnsc2 View Post
I am suspecting its ECTS is bad/faulty. So that is the first thing I am going to change on it.

What are my radiator options? Will a 98sc2 radiator work?

It is interesting to see the comment, no AC, no fan because the 98 had no AC for 3 years before it lost commpression in cylinder 3. Does that mean the cooling fan was never kicking on? Compressor would engage, just no charge in the system.
If the PCM allowed the compressor to engage, then as far as it was concerned the AC was "working".

A 98 radiator should fit a 97.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wi111y's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wi111y reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wi111y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 02:43 PM   #8
98saturnsc2

I have been researching the radiator swap thing since my last post. Good to know radiator swap should work. Here is the thing. The 98 is a manual trans and this 97 is an auto trans. I know the cooling lines from auto trans connect on drivers side of radiator. Are there any gotcha's with this scenario? Any links to videos/how tos on this radiator swap would be appreciated. What kind of time am I looking at to do the swap. I have to drain/pull both of them.

As for the cooling fan, when I do swap them, I am swapping the radiator and fan all together. There will also be a new thermostat going in this 97 along with the ects being changed. Good to know the AC from PCM standpoint was "working" even with no charge on AC. At this point I don't know if the AC in 97 is good or not. I have not gotten that far yet.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-07-2013, 05:10 PM   #9
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
.....It is interesting to see the comment, no AC, no fan because the 98 had no AC for 3 years ...... Does that mean the cooling fan was never kicking on? Compressor would engage, just no charge in the system.
The cooling fan operates by commands from the pcm. The cooling system is the primary concern of the pcm relying on the coolant sensor to determine when to turn on the fan. Thea a/c system needs the cooling fan IF its working (compressor running). A dead a/c (no compressor running) doesn't need a cooling fan and the pcm knows the difference between an operating compressor or not. Its not likely to have the compressor running and the cooling fan not running.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-07-2013, 05:59 PM   #10
98saturnsc2

I will be taking on the radiator swap, new thermostat and ects change tomorrow. Is it possible that the cooling fan motor and relay could be faulty in the 97? It is my understanding the ects has a big effect on that. What temp on the gauge should the fan kick on? It has to be at least about the half line on the gauge right? Normal operating temp is between 1/4 and 1/2, more towards 1/4 usually right? When I was driving it the temp stayed down in that range even with only water in the system right now.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-07-2013, 06:25 PM   #11
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Faulty coolant sensors sends the wrong signals; the temperature display is wrong and the pcm doesn't turn on the cooling fan. The pcm must have correct signals otherwise the it doesn't know when to turn on the fan while showing the wrong temperature display - over the 1/4 mark. Good sensors/thermostats will show the needle at the 3/8ths position, between the 1/4 and 1/2 mark. Fan turn on would be either 3/4 or near redline.

A faulty sensor simply means faulty signals to the pcm. The pcm is only as good as its sensors.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-07-2013, 11:10 PM   #12
wi111y
Advanced Member
wi111y is on a distinguished road

1995 SL
1995 SW2

Check the side to make sure the auto cooler line ports are on the radiator you're swapping in. If they're not there, it won't work.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wi111y's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wi111y reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wi111y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:53 PM   #13
98saturnsc2

An update.

Ended up getting a new radiator for it as well as new ECTS sensor. It is all back together and the cooling system is full. I still have the low coolant light on the dash flashing. It stays in the right operating temperature and the cooling fan does kick on. Where is the sensor for low coolant located? How do I cure that annoyance?

Secondarily, after its been running and stopped for short amount of time, an hour or less it starts hard. It acts like a fuel issue and I have not put a new fuel pressure regulator on it yet. Is this early warning on CPS going out? I did not change that out yet either. I had that die on my 98 and it luckly it being a manual I was able to push start it. This is an auto, so thats not an option. The reason I think its fuel related is if you turn the key and barely make it crank, turn it off, hit it again and it starts like normal(when its sat for several hours).

Only those two things are critical at the moment.

I have not charged AC yet. I did pull the AC cooler and lines from the 98. They did have pressure when I loosened them. I am not an AC guy and I don't know if the pressure release that occurred is a good thing or not. I would guess it is. When I loosened the lines on the 97, there was no pressure release. I don't know if compressor on 97 is good or not. I will see if it can be charged.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-24-2013, 10:12 PM   #14
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

The low level coolant sensor is in the coolant container - its either stuck from goo and the container needs a thorough flushing or its broken.

Your '97 has the faulty fuel pump check valve - delay the engine start for a few seconds as a work around.

Any a/c system that's opened for repair for any reason needs to be evacuated with a vacuum pump. Failure to perform an evacuation is a risk anyone takes including failure to ensure a leak doesn't exists after a full evacuation is performed. A/c systems are unforgiving of mistakes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-24-2013, 10:20 PM   #15
98saturnsc2

So coolant level sensor is broke, stuck or bad. Should I just pull the container from my 98SC2? Will that work?

What is the fix for the fuel pump check valve?

I will have an AC guy see if its good or not, full vacuum, etc. Good to know.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-25-2013, 12:45 AM   #16
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Troubleshooting can be as simple as disconnecting the sensor connector and either the low level light turns off or short the connector (to ground if its a single wire). This can help determine a wiring, switch or stuck float problem. A stuck float means cleaning the container with HOT soapy water until the float rattles freely.

Most owners live with the faulty check valve using the delay between ignition ON and starting instead of replacing a perfectly good pump.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-25-2013, 12:50 AM   #17
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Coolant level sensor is two-wire. Light goes OFF when the switch is closed. So the test would be to disconnect it and jumper the connector; that should turn off the light. And yes, the reservoir from your other car will work fine, provided its sensor is good.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:29 AM   #18
98saturnsc2

I will test out the cooling float sensor.

What is the solution to the solution to the faulty fuel pump check valve and where is that located on the car?

Keep in mind I have my 98SC2 for a parts car. It dropped compression in number 3.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-25-2013, 09:56 AM   #19
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Quote:
What is the solution to the solution to the faulty fuel pump check valve and where is that located on the car?
It's located on the fuel pump in the fuel tank and the fix is however much you find a new, quality, fuel pump for. The hardest part of the job is getting the back end of the car high enough to drop the gas tank.

Might be able to use the pump and tank from the '98, if so the job is even easier as you won't have to take the pumps out of the tanks, just swap tanks. I'm not sure of what, if any, change's there are to the pump and fuel lines at the tank from going to the returnless fuel system in '98.

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote