SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 05-30-2008, 08:36 PM   #1
tjohnny42
tjohnny42 will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE 2.2L
1999 SC1
Default Accidentally burned out instrument panel lights and reverse lights on '99 Saturn Sc1

(1) On May 29, 2008 at 01:23 am Tjohnny42 [0] said:

Hi there. Thanks for responding. Yes, I have checked both locations and ALL fuses look intact. I have no way of checking relay fuses though. Do i?

(2) On May 29, 2008 at 4:43 pm RC1488 [8] said:

You need to check all the fuses and relays. How exactly you hurt the cluster is beyond me if you were using an adapter from the stock harness to your stereo. Does your a/c work? The relays in the fuse boxes are all the same IIRC. Also remember there are two fuse boxes both inside the cabin and under the hood.

(3) On May 30, 2008 at 00:40 am Tjohnny42 [0] said:
Hey,

I have checked all of the fuses in both locations. How do I know if the relay fuses are intact?(these are the square plugs & they are closed right?) Unfortunately, I attempted direct wiring without a harness & that's when it happened. I bought a harness & that's how the stereo is wired now. I lost both the dash lights (all of them) & my reverse lights when i connected a wrong wire. Could one or both simply be coincidence? Both worked before my radio instalation attempt & both were non-working immediately after.
Saturn dealership told me I needed to replace the rear light assembly at about $450 (for the reverse lights fix). I believe the fix to be more simple as the wiring all seems intact & my tail lights/rear directionals & lisence plate lights work. Maybe the neutral switch on the Tranny? The AC doesn't work anymore but I can't remember if that coincided with this incident. It certainly could have.
Thanks

4) On May 30, 2008 at 00:54 am RC1488 [8] said:

You could have damaged a relay however I forget what the relays are for specifically other than the fan and A/c. My suggestion is this: Go to Saturnfans.com. Register and post a new thread in the S-series Tech section. There are many who can help you better than I can. See you over there

5) I am now here asking the pros. Can anyone help me?
tjohnny42 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-2008, 09:51 PM   #2
PurdueGuy
Master Member
PurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2
1999 SC1
Default Re: Accidentally burned out instrument panel lights and reverse lights on '99 Saturn

10A fuse under the hood, when blown, will cause the loss of the dash lights and some of the rear lights. You said you already checked the fuses, so start checking the wiring, I suppose. This generally happens when a wire for the stereo is unused after installing an aftermarket stereo, and it isn't taped/covered properly and touches the metal framework around the stereo. I've had this problem personally, but for me it just blew a 10amp fuse under the hood.
SaturnSeries.net owner
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 07:29 AM   #3
tjohnny42

2004 VUE 2.2L
1999 SC1
Default Re: Accidentally burned out instrument panel lights and reverse lights on '99 Saturn

Thanks Purdue Guy.
I checked the fusebox under the hood again, checked EVERY fuse & they all look intact to me
Pulled & checked every fuse in the passenger side console as well. All look intact. I'm at a loss...
Old 06-04-2008, 08:48 PM   #4
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Use a test light to check the fuses. You should be able to get an inexpensive one from a parts store.
Relays and thier circuits are fused but don't have fuses in them.
A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 06:11 AM   #5
tjohnny42

2004 VUE 2.2L
1999 SC1

OK, I purchased a fuse test light and the fuses are all intact. Any idea what might have fried? I'm hoping It's not in the computer....
Old 06-18-2008, 11:43 AM   #6
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Reverse lights are NOT dependent on the PCM. I've lost track; what instrument panel lights are out? The various "status" indicator lights (SES, oil, charge, etc.) or the illumination bulbs? If the latter, they aren't dependent on the PCM either. Do the parking lights work? If so, and if indeed it's the dash illumination lights that are out, the next thing to suspect is the dimmer rheostat. I _think_ you can, as a test, bypass it by popping it out of the panel, disconnecting it and jumpering the two terminals on the connector.

Automatic or manual tranny? (Relevant to the reverse light issue.)
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 08:01 PM   #7
tjohnny42

2004 VUE 2.2L
1999 SC1

Thanks Madpogue,

(these forums rock!)

I will definately check the dimmer switch next & bypass the switch. The entire dash, including heater/defrost,. fan speed knobs etc. is DARK.

The trans. is Automatic.

Could I have fried the dimmer switch & the nuetral switch both??
Old 06-18-2008, 08:03 PM   #8
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2007 AURA XR
2001 SC2

If the dimmer switch is broken or not plugged in, you will loose all dash lighting.
Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Limited Edition SC2 (#78)
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2007 Saturn Aura XR
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 09:09 AM   #9
tjohnny42

2004 VUE 2.2L
1999 SC1

That is the issue!! Identified!! Thanks. I am replacing the instrument panel dimmer switch.

Next issue, & still confused about, the reverse lights...
Old 06-19-2008, 09:47 AM   #10
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2007 AURA XR
2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjohnny42 View Post
Next issue, & still confused about, the reverse lights...
If your car is a manual, then its the switch on the top of the transmission. Kinda under the batery.
Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Limited Edition SC2 (#78)
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2007 Saturn Aura XR
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 10:47 AM   #11
tjohnny42

2004 VUE 2.2L
1999 SC1

The car is automatic transmission. Do you think that's my problem with the reverse lights?

How hard is it to replace the neutral switch on this?
Old 06-22-2008, 10:13 PM   #12
tjohnny42

2004 VUE 2.2L
1999 SC1

any more guidance on what might have my back-up lights disfunctional? Bulbs are fine...Fuse is fine....
Old 06-22-2008, 11:30 PM   #13
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Locate the backup light switch and jumper it. If the BU lights light then its a switch problem. If not then its either wiring or power. Look for power first, its easier.

Make sure that the bulbs are good and teh socket contacts are clean.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 09:34 PM   #14
tjohnny42

2004 VUE 2.2L
1999 SC1

Thanks,

As this is an automatic, I am not confidant in bypassing the switch (Jumping).

Bulbs are fine, contacts are fine(I polished them), & fuse is fine. From the posts I've read, all things point to switch. I have purchased a neutral safety switch & will install to see if It solves my backup light problem. If it does not,,,

We shall see.. Note to self...get harness when installing ANY stereo!! I have installed a dozen in the past with no harness, but that was back in the 80's 90's, when things weren't so "computer-centered".
Old 06-29-2008, 11:31 AM   #15
tjohnny42

2004 VUE 2.2L
1999 SC1

Well, I replaced the neutral safety switch and dang! I still have no reverse/backup lights

Any other advise?

btw, Thanks to you all for the info. I'm learning alot. I hope I can repay someday.
Old 06-29-2008, 12:22 PM   #16
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Do you have 12V on one side of the backup light switch? If you do and its a new switch then you have a wiring problem somewhere between the switch and the light. Probably a plug/jack connection. You will need a schematic for the specific car with plug pinouts. Unplug and measure for the 12V. Wen it goes away you know where the problem is. There is no magic bullet fix for these types of failure.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 12:43 PM   #17
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Pink wire (black six wire connector) into the gear range switch on the auto trans is the power in for reverse. Light green wire is the switched power to the reverse lights via the under hood fuse block. Wire to the rear from the fuse block is light green all the way.

Use your test light to check for power at the rear tail light for power on that wire. If you have power then then it is from where you checked to the ground for the tail lights. Take note that if you have power to the rear make wure that you have ground. No power then head to the front and start checking for power at the switch in and out. Make sure that you power in and out on the appropriate wires. Track the wire back from there if there is power. If no power to the switch you need to find out why. Power in but not out then there is a problem with the switch. Either the adjustment or it is NFG.
A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 09:43 PM   #18
tjohnny42

2004 VUE 2.2L
1999 SC1

I was afraid it was going to get this deep.

I'm afraid electronic testing is beyond me. (Maybe not?) Time to drop dollars at the shop. I will try someone besides the dealor.

Maybe I will find time to learn this elect. test stuff. The internet should suffice as the tool. Unfortunately Inspection was due today so I am out of time for this particular dillemma.

Thanks for the guidance. Soon it will be me who is the teacher!

I still love the good ol' American made Saturn!
Old 07-02-2008, 12:10 AM   #19
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjohnny42 View Post
Thanks for the guidance. Soon it will be me who is the teacher!
When you can snatch the busted ECTS from Low Saturn's hand*, grasshopper, it will be time for you to leave....

*(as he's going by in his dragster)
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 10:40 PM   #20
tjohnny42

2004 VUE 2.2L
1999 SC1

Turns out it was the light bulb sockets! They didn't look bad to me so I didn't go there.... Oh well. She's almost like new again!!