SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 12-02-2021, 11:06 AM   #1
Caniacfan17
Caniacfan17 is on a distinguished road

Wrench 2001 SC2 air pump??

I have a 2001 SC2 that I have a question about and hope someone can help. I experienced an electrical smell and smoke coming from the right front of the vehicle. When I popped the hood, this part that I will describe was super hot and it appeared that was the origination point of the smoke. This is what I think is the Secondary air pump but want to verify. Mounted left front immediately in front of the washer fluid reservoir on the side wall. Possibly a bearing inside went bad and burned it out? Basically want to make sure I am identifying this part correctly. Thanks!
Caniacfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2021, 01:51 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 2001 SC2 air pump??

The air pump is the one marked by a yellow arrow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC07822.jpg (127.7 KB, 12 views)
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 02:38 PM   #3
Caniacfan17
Caniacfan17 is on a distinguished road

Thanks! I assume replacement is my only option at this point
Caniacfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 04:44 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

If you're comfortable poking around under hood with regular maintenance, you can try disconnecting the blower motor connections and applying 12v directly to it to see if it runs. If a burnt odor is strong around the blower then removing it for bench repairs may help determine if it's burned out or jammed, resulting in impromptu cooking of internal windings. You can search online for GM parts to find out if its a discontinued part. Check several GM online sites. EBay would be next for new or used parts. Similar in design to heater/ac blower motors, they tend to last all the way to the junk yard with exceptions. You'll probably see an error code for this secondary air injection system. As long as you're not close to state emissions inspection (if you have one in your state) you have time to determine how to make repairs. The sole purpose of this air pump is to help the O2 sensor and catalytic converter heat up to operating temps (>600F) on cold engine startups before the O2 sensor begins outputting valid signals to the engine computer. I think its timed to run up to three minutes then shuts down. Be aware, there are many threads about the air injection system, problems, diagnosing, troubleshooting and repairs.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 08:29 PM   #5
TomM96
Master Member
TomM96 has a spectacular aura aboutTomM96 has a spectacular aura about

> Thanks! I assume replacement is my only option at this point...

That is an assumption which may not be warranted --
Normally, that SAIS air/smog pump is only commanded ON for about a minute (maybe 2) on Cold starts. If the system does not operate
properly initially, the PCM initiates several tests for a while ... maybe
over 10 minutes(?).

There is a chance the extended test burned the air pump out. If so, it
would be prudent to diagnose what element of the SAIS system was
failing (Ex Man clog; combination valve fail; plastic vacuum tubing cracked;
bad ground to air pump lowers voltage, increasing current draw;
old rubber vacuum lines from check valve to solenoid valve have lost elasticity,
leaking vacuum(depriving combination valve of action); relay in UHJB failing to supply solenoid with electrons).
It is a little subsystem that seems to function flawlessly for ~125kMi, then
operates with less validity, eventually becoming intermittent... then OFF.

recent threads:
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=145965

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=269861

My 2000 DOHC SAIS progressively failed over a year.
An old rubber hose on the solenoid had lost the connection.
The ground to the air pump was weak; the relay to the solenoid valve was weak ... but in my case, the ExMan runner was badly clogged, and the interfacing ports in the head were also badly clogged.

New pumps are available at FLAPS and online sellers, although Rock
auto was recently out of stock. One can test for flow from the air pump,
and from the ExMan. One can check for action of vacuum to the combination
valve (via solenoid, or with manual vacuum pump).

On a couple occasions, I took car to FLAPS for SES diagnostic scan, and I was informed that an Air Pump replacement was in order. After the checks & repairs, the air pump was A OK!

At one point in my checks, there was a squealing/wheezing sound in accompanyment to the engine noise at cold start.
That was due to the combination valve Not being opened by the vacuum hoses and the solenoid.

I also bought a new, handsome combination valve ... but the old one seems to operate nicely, now that vacuum is delivered,
and also that the ExMan (and mating chambers in the head) have been cleanrd out.

Last edited by TomM96; 12-07-2021 at 08:33 PM. Reason: fergat un
TomM96 is offline   Reply With Quote