SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2018, 08:42 PM   #121
PaulR
PaulR is on a distinguished road

Default Re: The last Saturn Astra owner.

I will probably keep mine a long time. It all depends if I give up on repairing the 2008 XE before that. I tend to own cars a long time, the last two daily drivers I have kept 14 and 16 years. My classic car, a 1964 Corvair Monza convertible, I have owned since 1987.

PaulR

2008 XR3 5 speed, heated seats, leather, premium sound , 18" wheels, center armrest
2008 XE5 5 speed, heated seats, panoramic moonroof

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PaulR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PaulR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PaulR is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2018, 05:16 PM   #122
747ken
747ken is on a distinguished road

Well, I said goodbye to my Astra. I donated it to Kars for Kids.

It was time to move on. Right now I'm driving my Toyota Tacoma. Soon I may buy another Toyota or maybe a Honda Civic or Accord. Not sure yet.

Kars for Kids had my Astra picked up by a auto auction company located in San Diego. That's odd I thought, since I live near Los Angeles, a good distance away. When the driver arrived with a car carrier, we had a talk. He told me the cars he collects will be sold at auction, running or not. And almost all the cars will go to Mexico. The folks there will fix them up or part it out. The driver makes a trip to San Diego with cars every day.

So if you visit Mexico and see a dark blue Astra, it may have been mine at one time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 747ken's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 747ken reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
747ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 06:07 PM   #123
kikastra
kikastra has a spectacular aura aboutkikastra has a spectacular aura aboutkikastra has a spectacular aura about

2009 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 747ken View Post
Well, I said goodbye to my Astra. I donated it to Kars for Kids.

It was time to move on. Right now I'm driving my Toyota Tacoma. Soon I may buy another Toyota or maybe a Honda Civic or Accord. Not sure yet.

Kars for Kids had my Astra picked up by a auto auction company located in San Diego. That's odd I thought, since I live near Los Angeles, a good distance away. When the driver arrived with a car carrier, we had a talk. He told me the cars he collects will be sold at auction, running or not. And almost all the cars will go to Mexico. The folks there will fix them up or part it out. The driver makes a trip to San Diego with cars every day.

So if you visit Mexico and see a dark blue Astra, it may have been mine at one time.
Sorry to see you go, and good luck with your next vehicle. Do you mind sharing how many miles you retired the Astra at?

2009 Saturn Astra XR3 5-Speed - 75,000KM

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kikastra's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kikastra reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kikastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 03:36 PM   #124
747ken
747ken is on a distinguished road

Yes, my Astra had 136,000 miles. I bought it new in Feb 2009 from Galpin in socal.

I was satisfied to see my Astra go, because there were electrical and mechanical problems with the car. And I'm not the type of person who likes to work on cars.

But I am a bit sad that I'm no longer part of the Saturn family. My first Saturn was a 2000 SL1 bought new in Sept 1999. When it was totaled in an accident in early 2009 I bought the Astra. So I've been driving Saturns for almost 18 years.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 747ken's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 747ken reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
747ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 08:57 PM   #125
kikastra
kikastra has a spectacular aura aboutkikastra has a spectacular aura aboutkikastra has a spectacular aura about

2009 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 747ken View Post
Yes, my Astra had 136,000 miles. I bought it new in Feb 2009 from Galpin in socal.

I was satisfied to see my Astra go, because there were electrical and mechanical problems with the car. And I'm not the type of person who likes to work on cars.

But I am a bit sad that I'm no longer part of the Saturn family. My first Saturn was a 2000 SL1 bought new in Sept 1999. When it was totaled in an accident in early 2009 I bought the Astra. So I've been driving Saturns for almost 18 years.
Well, I think that's a fair amount of mileage and time to get out of it. No use messing around, when you feel ok about moving on. Again, good luck with the new car!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help kikastra reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-20-2018, 10:15 AM   #126
velocast
velocast has a spectacular aura aboutvelocast has a spectacular aura aboutvelocast has a spectacular aura about

Happy The last Saturn Astra owner.

I do not want to say my Astra is lawn mower. But, it is pretty much easy to fix. At 120K miles on it, still running full power strong. The key for that is maintenance. Whenever light or abnormal sound comes around I do not stop until is fixed.

Right now, I am working in a project to replace my Bi-Halogen headlamps with a pair of Hella Bi-Xenon HID headlamps 35W. Also, my fogs are about to be replaced with a 3000K 100W Xenon HID projector. I need badly for my nightly commuting of 80 miles round trip.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to velocast's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help velocast reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
velocast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 05:53 PM   #127
nicolas_p
nicolas_p will become famous soon enoughnicolas_p will become famous soon enough

2009 Astra XR
2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by velocast View Post
I do not want to say my Astra is lawn mower. But, it is pretty much easy to fix. At 120K miles on it, still running full power strong. The key for that is maintenance. Whenever light or abnormal sound comes around I do not stop until is fixed.

Right now, I am working in a project to replace my Bi-Halogen headlamps with a pair of Hella Bi-Xenon HID headlamps 35W. Also, my fogs are about to be replaced with a 3000K 100W Xenon HID projector. I need badly for my nightly commuting of 80 miles round trip.

If I may ask what projector are you going with for the main beam and the foglight. I know the evo xr2.0 are a direct bolt in solution for our cars since I'm currently building a quad projector set with two sets of evo xr. The second set is going to require some finesse and cutting the actual housing to bolt them in properly. All with be running either 35w or 45w ballasts with D2S bulbs

For my foglights I am currently trying to retrofit a set of morimoto xb fog lights into the original housing

09 Vauxhall Astra XR3/STD
18" Team Dynamic MonzaR rims
Eibach Sportline, Whiteline BHR75Z swaybar and EBC Rotors
CD30 Mp3, Insignia jets, vxR surround, sharkfin antenna, Spoiler, Tint

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nicolas_p's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nicolas_p reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nicolas_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 10:04 PM   #128
velocast
velocast has a spectacular aura aboutvelocast has a spectacular aura aboutvelocast has a spectacular aura about

- I am replacing the entire Headlamps. I have a pair left and right: Hella’s Bi-Xenon 1EL 008 700-311 and 1EL 008 700-321. It looks the same than our aging Bi-Halogen Headlamps. It is not plug and play situation! Right now, I am waiting for a legacy hard drive replacement for my old laptop Win XP. I will install OP COM Opel V1.95 to disable the DRL. Hopefully it will work. Here is the link for the software and scanner:
http://www.obdii365.com/wholesale/op...ware-1-95.html

- For the Fogs: I have a pair of: iJDMTOY projector fog lights. Here is the link:
https://store.ijdmtoy.com/Mini-HID-B...70-131.htm#des

I will keep updated after few weeks ahead.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help velocast reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-21-2018, 12:43 AM   #129
AstraFasta
AstraFasta will become famous soon enoughAstraFasta will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by velocast View Post
I will install OP COM Opel V1.95 to disable the DRL. Hopefully it will work. Here is the link for the software and scanner:
http://www.obdii365.com/wholesale/op...ware-1-95.html
Does that allow all the the extended TECH2 tests? Can one update firmware on the car and allow the neat power window functions of Euro Astras?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AstraFasta's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AstraFasta reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AstraFasta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 11:32 AM   #130
velocast

I don’t know if it will do all the GM Tech2 functions. But, there is a large community using Op Com Opel tool + software since long time ago as alternative to the expensive GM Tech2. At YouTube, and other video websites there are tons of programming instructions for Opel/Vauxhall Astra. It is recommended to run with the old Win XP. I tried to load the Op Com Opel V1.95 in my 10” transformer 2 in 1 Win 10 it works but extremely frozen and slow... I will keep updated!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-25-2018, 02:21 AM   #131
blaisedaddy
blaisedaddy is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

strange I thought I posted in this thread, I will not be the last Astra. I had such a hard time trying to get a CV Axle that I decided to sell the car and get a ............Subaru. I miss my Astra but I felt GM has orphaned us and parts will be harder to get and more expensive plus the wait time for parts ( i need a car every day and don't have the luxury or space for multiple vehicles.) so there it is 9 thousand miles when I purchased the car and 96 when I sold her.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blaisedaddy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blaisedaddy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blaisedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 01:19 PM   #132
kikastra

2009 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikastra View Post
Who plans on keeping their Astra for the long haul? If lady luck is on my side, I plan on keeping my Astra until it is no longer feasible to be kept. I recently started a new family, and have a 2013 Dodge Grand Caravan on factory order. But I still plan on keeping the Astra, even though financially speaking I should probably trade her in on the new van, but I love the car too much and its paid for in full. She's even working as the family vehicle now, but its hard to put and pull the baby out of the back seat in a 2 door.

Anyhow, all of our cars are at most around 5 years old and at least around 4 years old. So there's still plenty of life left in our vehicles, so who here wishes to become the last Saturn Astra owner?

(Opelized and Vauxhallized Astras still count. No prize except pride will be awarded).
It's been 5 years today since I started this thread. I have 72,000 kms on the odo, and its been pretty much trouble free for the last couple of years (knock on wood). Did the rear brakes last fall and just oil changes. We've lost a couple of owners recently but gained a couple of new ones. But there's still plenty of people in the running to be the last Astra owner.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-02-2018, 07:51 PM   #133
Eric12775
Eric12775 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE

For the record, I'm still here. We did end up giving the car to my son who turned 18 this year. Not too many repairs needed. He broke the wiper stalk off the steering console and I found a replacement on Amazon. He also broke the passenger side mirror off by hitting a mailbox. But we found a replacement at a JY. We have about 93K miles on it and its currently on its 3rd ignition coil. The last one we paid more money for a lifetime warranty. The car is faster for a dead stop then my Jeep Wrangler or my wife's Chevy Equinox. Not as good as gas mileage as her car but way better then my 13mpg Jeep. I hope it lasts him a few more years.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Eric12775's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Eric12775 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Eric12775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 08:27 PM   #134
FreedomSoftware
FreedomSoftware is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

I'll be here for a while. Until the car decides it no longer wants to move or I total it. I plan on keeping my Astra until then. 121k miles. I just like the way this drives. I'll get something nicer here soon and use my astra as a daily.

'08 Saturn Astra
-Debadge
-Vauxhall Grille
-Thule Roof Rack (and wind fairing)
-1.25" Lowered
-Windows Tint all around
-JVC Head unit
-Dual 12" Subs

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to FreedomSoftware's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help FreedomSoftware reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
FreedomSoftware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 11:38 AM   #135
nicolas_p
nicolas_p will become famous soon enoughnicolas_p will become famous soon enough

2009 Astra XR
2008 Astra XE

I'm still here, 194k km currently on the car. Only had the transmission kamakazi itself a 4 years ago and GM covered it under power train warranty even though I was over the warranty period. Replace my spark plugs every other summer (25k km) to make sure I don't have to replace the coilpack. I am in need of some new coilovers now but other then that the car runs amazingly. Starts up faster than my brand new colorado. I have been parking in it during the winter months the last couple years so it helps keep it clean.

09 Vauxhall Astra XR3/STD
18" Team Dynamic MonzaR rims
Eibach Sportline, Whiteline BHR75Z swaybar and EBC Rotors
CD30 Mp3, Insignia jets, vxR surround, sharkfin antenna, Spoiler, Tint

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nicolas_p's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nicolas_p reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nicolas_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 10:33 PM   #136
FreedomSoftware

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolas_p View Post
I'm still here, 194k km currently on the car. Only had the transmission kamakazi itself a 4 years ago and GM covered it under power train warranty even though I was over the warranty period. Replace my spark plugs every other summer (25k km) to make sure I don't have to replace the coilpack. I am in need of some new coilovers now but other then that the car runs amazingly. Starts up faster than my brand new colorado. I have been parking in it during the winter months the last couple years so it helps keep it clean.
I got springs for my Astra and I absolutely hate the way it rides. I plan on going coilovers here soon.

edit: or getting some higher quality springs. the ones i have just are not cutting it.

'08 Saturn Astra
-Debadge
-Vauxhall Grille
-1.25" Lowered
-Windows Tint all around
-JVC Head unit
-Dual 12" Subs

Last edited by FreedomSoftware; 10-09-2018 at 10:42 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help FreedomSoftware reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-21-2018, 04:37 PM   #137
XRLad
XRLad is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

With my daily work commute being under 16k both ways , and I don't travel at all or drive around a lot my Astra XR slowly but surly gathers the km little by little. So saying that , its still under 54 000 clicks and like i say i don't drive it much so I fore see many more years with it unless i get rich or it becomes a money pit. I could be in the running to be the last Astra owner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to XRLad's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help XRLad reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
XRLad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 12:48 AM   #138
YULAstra
YULAstra is on a distinguished road

2009 Astra XE

I wouldn't be worried too much about parts... I spent 2 weeks in Germany/CH as I do yearly and the amount of Astra Ks on the road are still very, very high. Yea daily driving might be annoying but as an enthusiast car you are covered for parts from Europe but downtime/cost. RockAuto has decent stock as well. I'm likely to pick up a cleaner example soon. While I own nicer stuff I still reach for my Astra key all the time. It's such a fun car to drive and different

That being said my rental was an 18 Astra (still GM based) 1.4T 6sp with 4000kms on it upon pickup in Frankfurt. Managed to hit 232kph with it between Bitburg and going back to Boxberg. It drove so much nicer than the Cruze rental I had back in September.. over 2450kms of driving it got 6.7/100km avg , lots of that was between 150-200kph. Sweet spot was 160-170kph

Here are some shots including it parked next to a K at our friends in Zurich. https://imgur.com/gallery/iVPYunW

@simplygregster on Instagram

Last edited by YULAstra; 10-28-2018 at 12:54 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to YULAstra's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help YULAstra reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
YULAstra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 01:39 AM   #139
FreedomSoftware

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by YULAstra View Post
I wouldn't be worried too much about parts... I spent 2 weeks in Germany/CH as I do yearly and the amount of Astra Ks on the road are still very, very high. Yea daily driving might be annoying but as an enthusiast car you are covered for parts from Europe but downtime/cost. RockAuto has decent stock as well. I'm likely to pick up a cleaner example soon. While I own nicer stuff I still reach for my Astra key all the time. It's such a fun car to drive and different

That being said my rental was an 18 Astra (still GM based) 1.4T 6sp with 4000kms on it upon pickup in Frankfurt. Managed to hit 232kph with it between Bitburg and going back to Boxberg. It drove so much nicer than the Cruze rental I had back in September.. over 2450kms of driving it got 6.7/100km avg , lots of that was between 150-200kph. Sweet spot was 160-170kph

Here are some shots including it parked next to a K at our friends in Zurich. https://imgur.com/gallery/iVPYunW

@simplygregster on Instagram
I work at a chevy dealer and man that Astra just looks like a cruze with a bit of buick flare to it. Def can tell its GM though just be comparing the 18 cruze and 18 astra

'08 Saturn Astra
-Debadge
-Vauxhall Grille
-1.25" Lowered
-Windows Tint all around
-JVC Head unit
-Dual 12" Subs

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-28-2018, 09:48 AM   #140
YULAstra
YULAstra is on a distinguished road

2009 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomSoftware View Post
I work at a chevy dealer and man that Astra just looks like a cruze with a bit of buick flare to it. Def can tell its GM though just be comparing the 18 cruze and 18 astra
I say still GM based because the next gen will be Peugeot based. As I said I had a rental Cruze back in September. They both still have this annoying buffeting if you roll the drivers window half way down but there the Europeans win again is in suspension , stiffer springs and better shocks .. also in the interior. Everything fit better. Fuel economy with the 1.4 and automatic was stellar, low 5s/100km all day long. Infotainment was excellent as well and worked. Unlike my damn BMW that randomly reboots and Bluetooth issues

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to YULAstra's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help YULAstra reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
YULAstra is offline   Reply With Quote