SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2018, 09:17 AM   #21
amartin003
amartin003 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: Members, Get Your Asstra in Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolas_p View Post
192k KM and now slowly rising. I am the original owner since november 2009, driven from toronto, Ontario to charlottetown, PEI as the longest trip followed by Toronto to Bangor, Maine to visit Phatfire6 when he was still on the forums.

My astra is now parked every winter and will be preserved for a long long time, I've been doing research into making it a real vxr with a 2.0T engine swap.

The only reason I would ever get rid of the astra is if it was in a accident and I couldn't get her fixed.

There she is in the hibernation space!!
Nice! Not too many of us original owners left. I bought mine new in '08 and still my daily driver. Just passed 265K km's and going strong.

2008 Astra XR

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amartin003's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amartin003 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
amartin003 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-2018, 07:30 PM   #22
wisconsinfan
wisconsinfan is on a distinguished road

Just wanted to say that my 3dr just rolled over 195k, still going strong. Replaced the alternator twice, and have done the catalytic converter. Overall very reliable car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wisconsinfan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wisconsinfan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wisconsinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 09:25 AM   #23
amartin003
amartin003 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisconsinfan View Post
Just wanted to say that my 3dr just rolled over 195k, still going strong. Replaced the alternator twice, and have done the catalytic converter. Overall very reliable car.
I think you may be the leader for mileage! I agree, very reliable. Besides normal wear items, I've had to change the water pump twice, fix a small hole in the exhaust, minor transmission fix (shifter cable) and I'm going to need a new oxygen sensor before I get my next emission test in the winter. Not too bad for 10 years of use.

My goal is 300K.

2008 Astra XR

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amartin003's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amartin003 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
amartin003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 10:37 PM   #24
C152
C152 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE

My 5dr XE, purchased new, is at 214K km. Due for a second timing belt. Only issues have been sticky rear calipers and a coil pack, the latter is odd since I change spark plugs every 50K km. Other than that, regular stuff, thank goodness. Very happy.

Recently upsized my tires to 225/45R17. Perhaps I'm nutty, but I feel the ride is now choppy and no longer confidence inspiring. Grip is good, but crappy roads toss the car around in curves. Is there something wrong with the suspension? This concerns me since stellar handling was a major selling point for me.

My 3dr is at 175K km. Bought used. This one needs some work, rear brakes, exhaust, tires and suspension, rear coils likely. Shod on 18" tires, this one has a very choppy ride, but must be due to expected suspension repairs.

Plan on keeping both as long as possible.

Kind Regards,
C152
2008 Saturn 5dr XE (Opelized) Astra
2008 Saturn 3dr XR (to be Opelized) - OK, it's my daughter's

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to C152's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help C152 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
C152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 10:12 PM   #25
AstraFasta
AstraFasta will become famous soon enoughAstraFasta will become famous soon enough

If car does not feel stable on the road at that mileage, I think that you should have a mechanic do a full inspection for health & safety purposes. ASAP.

The shocks and springs may be in need of replacement.

There are plenty of other wear items also.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AstraFasta's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AstraFasta reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AstraFasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 04:28 PM   #26
XRLad
XRLad is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Good to see after my really long time away from this sit there is still plenty going on . I still have my Astra XR since i bought it new in March 2009. Up until 3 years ago i had a company van with work so the car never got driven hardly at all. As i type this post it only has just under 54000 km on it. She is lightly used :P . Been a awesome ride thus far. Replace a broken drivers side spring, thank you gm for discontinuing them btw , had to source a strut from a salvage yard. Brakes all around were done as a well and end links replaced to . Add a warranty fix on a sensor , drivers side window rail/frame repair and replacement of the black roof trim and that is about it. The factory 17 inch tires have worn out finally so next summer its time for a pair of summer tires. Thats about all that has happen with it to date. I plan on keeping it right up until and if it becomes a money pit.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to XRLad's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help XRLad reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
XRLad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 05:43 PM   #27
NJastra
NJastra is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

This is my 2008 Astra and I'm the original owner, 127,000 miles. I just took these pics today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20181023_1546344.jpg (116.3 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20181023_1546471.jpg (104.8 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20181023_1546570.jpg (97.6 KB, 20 views)

-Jon-

3 dr XR, Twilight Blue, 5 speed manual, 18" 5-star rims, Leather trim package, Heated seats, VXMMI (Advanced Audio)

1987 Z28 - modded

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NJastra's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NJastra reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NJastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 11:45 PM   #28
FreedomSoftware
FreedomSoftware is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJastra View Post
This is my 2008 Astra and I'm the original owner, 127,000 miles. I just took these pics today.
Man, the blue looks awesome. I wish my Astra was that blue or black. Bought mine second hand so its Red. Not my favorite color but I loved the looks of the car regardless of the color

'08 Saturn Astra
-Debadge
-Vauxhall Grille
-Thule Roof Rack (and wind fairing)
-1.25" Lowered
-Windows Tint all around
-JVC Head unit
-Dual 12" Subs

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to FreedomSoftware's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help FreedomSoftware reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
FreedomSoftware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 12:42 AM   #29
JFS
JFS has a spectacular aura aboutJFS has a spectacular aura aboutJFS has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

Quote:

Looks awesome. I'm pleased with the paint quality on our cars. They are holding up well, from the ones I have seen.

Of all the colors, I'd have preferred silver or white, but like you, I have the 'Hey-Look-At-Me Coppers" Salsa Red. I have yet to see any salsa this color, but in the end, I'm pleased with it if only because I think the red made it sit on the car lot from Thanksgiving week 2014 until the first week of Jan. 2015 as the price fell. I had a problem with recovering funds from USAA for a totalled Subi, the only customer of theirs I've heard have this problem, but sela vie.

In the first post of the thread, I asked for "proof of life" of everybody's car. Here is one of mine. Curious if anyone out there knows what the hourglass represents.

https://goo.gl/xygwug

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JFS's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JFS reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 08:33 PM   #30
kikastra
kikastra has a spectacular aura aboutkikastra has a spectacular aura aboutkikastra has a spectacular aura about

2009 Astra XR

Quote:
That's a spitting image of my Astra. Minus the NJ plates of course! A bit shinier than mine too, since I haven't been able to wash it as much as I'd like.

*edit* The only difference is that my Astra and XR badge are not on the trim on the back. I have a 2009, only sold in Canada, where for some reason they moved those above the trim. You can see that in my avatar.

2009 Saturn Astra XR3 5-Speed - 75,000KM

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kikastra's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kikastra reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kikastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 02:05 PM   #31
8675309sXR
8675309sXR is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Heart Re: Members, Get Your Asstra in Gear

Hi All!
New member here. Ive used this forum a few times to try to find solutions to issues here and there. Figured I might as well make myself official. I bought my Black Sapphire in 2009. Its my daily. I have 122k+ miles on it. I love this car! Its still fun to drive even though its an automatic.
Currently researching tire options as its time again for new shoes.

Last edited by 8675309sXR; 10-27-2018 at 02:13 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 8675309sXR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 8675309sXR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
8675309sXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 02:07 PM   #32
marcmag
marcmag is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Aside from a frustrating Mass Air Flow sensor experience at the nearby Chevy dealer, which blamed the K&N intake, my XR has been without trouble for 125,000 miles. K&N reimbursed me for some of the cost, but the dealer gouged me for a MAF that it might not have needed. Original owner, all miles mine.

Did the timing/serpentine belt at 95k and just did the ignition coil and one of the 02 sensors. No plans to trade a car that brings me smiles when I drive it and lots of questions about the Opel badges.

A driver stopped me this morning to say my reverse lights have been going off and on while driving forward. Will check the General and Tech forums about that issue and thank all who participate here.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to marcmag's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help marcmag reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
marcmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 06:59 PM   #33
XRLad
XRLad is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

@NJastra

Awesome. If i had to redo my Astra purchase it would have been like yours exactly.
I do like my Star Silver over all and can live with it but i really really want a set of the 18" pen stars over my 17s big time though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to XRLad's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help XRLad reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
XRLad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 05:42 PM   #34
eric08
eric08 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

I recently picked up an XR at auction with 80K miles on it. It's generally in good shape but needs a little love to get up an running properly again. I have appreciated the information found here and wanted to give a quick shout out and say thank you. I'll post along the way with anything new or possibly interesting. Oh, and the Astra will be my daughter's primarily, although she doesn't drive a lot at present.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eric08's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eric08 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eric08 is offline   Reply With Quote