SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2018, 02:24 PM   #1
cbrian
cbrian is on a distinguished road

Question P0455: "Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected"

My 2007 Saturn Ion-2 has had a check engine light for 2 months now, giving code P0455: "Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected". However, I track my MPG and it hasn't gone down at all. Does this imply a broken gas cap? It doesn't feel broken when I take it off or put it back on, but the inside does look a bit odd - how can I diagnose this?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cbrian's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cbrian reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-2018, 03:28 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: P0455: "Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected"

Any evap system leak won't hurt engine running except in one situation. You're dealing with a closed fuel vapor system that's tested every time the engine is started, car driven. Vapors stored in the carbon canister is vacuumed into the intake manifold. A fuel vent solenoid by the fuel filler is open during fueling, closed when the engine's running. The evap purge solenoid is normally closed, open during engine running to allow engine vacuum to draw fuel vapors from the carbon canister. A combination low fuel pressure and vacuum sensor on the tank measures vapor pressures and vacuum when the evap system is tested before fuel vapors are vacuumed into the intake manifold. All this goes on every time we startup and drive.

Usually when evap system errors occurs, it's either a solenoid or hoses. Hoses can be rubber or steel. One vent line may run parallel to the steel fuel fill pipe and corrode until it develops pinholes or rusts away. This small vent line connects the fuel vent solenoid to the evap system plumbing. My L300 started with a small evap leak that came and went, P0422, then became a large evap system leak, P0455. The small diameter steel vent line parallel to the fuel fill pipe corroded and broke open. Replacing the fuel pipe assembly was the cure.

Examine your steel fuel pipe and check for a smaller diameter steel line running parallel to it for severe corrosion. Rubber hoses are suspect too. The gas cap must seal completely. It provides one seal against fuel vapor pressure and vacuum when the fuel system is tested when everything is sealed for low fuel pressure and low vacuum. Any break in sealing anywhere in the evap system generates one of several system error codes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote