SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2018, 01:52 PM   #21
Jonasan308
Advanced Member
Jonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of light

1999 SC1
Default Re: Axle replacement gone south

Yes, end of the tie rod end is where it isnt moving. Just apinning with the inner tie rod.

I got a torch, and hit it with heat, let it cool, put on PB blaster, waited and then more heat. Still not moving, so again i let it cool and put on more PB blaster and have let it sit for about 2 hours. Havent been posting in awhile so i have to go find out how to upload pics again.

I do have a replacement that i went and bought before i found out that it was stuck on.

1999 Saturn SL1-129k at purchase(may 2016)-139k when wrecked(September 2016)

1999 Saturn SC1(CURSED)-156K at purchase(october 2016)-194k currently (Nov 2018)
Dodging potholes should be a sport

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jonasan308's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jonasan308 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jonasan308 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2018, 02:57 PM   #22
Jonasan308
Advanced Member
Jonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of light

1999 SC1

I think ive got it posted now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20181117_103703-1512x2016.jpg (95.0 KB, 15 views)

1999 Saturn SC1(CURSED)-156K at purchase(october 2016)-194k currently (Nov 2018)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Jonasan308 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-17-2018, 04:14 PM   #23
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

In addition to the tool Waiex191 mentions, you might consider a secret some share. Cast iron knuckles with tapered bore to hold a mating tapered steel tie rod spindle are meant to have a tight fit when bolted up. The separating tool uses leverage but sudden impact force can also work. The trick is applying sudden large force on the knuckle. Once the nut is loosened or sheared off with the top of the threaded stud, the remains are more or less tightly held in the knuckle. One trick that does work - a large concrete hammer or your choice of heavy mass pressed against one side of the knuckle, hitting the knuckle with a heavy hammer. Hitting the knuckle that's backed up with another large hammer has the effect of an impact wrench transmitting the large blows thru the cast iron. Just enough flex occurs to break the tight hold on the tie rod. If you aren't able to imagine this, try searching youtube videos. I'm sure there are a few examples for show and tell.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 04:50 PM   #24
Jonasan308
Advanced Member

1999 SC1

The tie rod end isnt stuck inside the knuckle. Its just in there so i can get leverage. My problem is that the outer tie rod end will not spin off. Still no luck. If this goes on too long i may just get a new inner tie rod end and replace both the inner and outer tie rod ends

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-17-2018, 05:24 PM   #25
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Ok, I was distracted by your picture. I'm not sure if NYC salting is any worse than Ohio's method of salting. Most large metro areas rely on roads and highways for deliveries from trucks along with rail services. I tend to think tie rods are held in place with lock nuts to prevent them from turning. Long handled wrenches and extensions helps loosen very tight ones. If the tie rod is held in place, left connected to the wheel knuckle then the locknut should be able to be loosened with the flats and wrench coupled with a pipe or longest adjustable wrench and pipe extender for the greatest leverage with less muscle effort. Heating the nut with a propane torch and allowing penetrant to work its way into rusted threads should allow expansion and contraction to help break the artificial loctite created from corrosion. If you have to, hammering on the wrench locked onto the lock nut will serve as a manual impact force controlled by the amount of wacking applied to the lock nut. A lock nut that's corroded may also seal the threads between tie rod shaft and tie rod end. The nut only has to be loosened about a quarter turn or less to allow the tie rod to unscrew.

There's always a way when some imagination and experiences are shared to make what may be insurmountable surmountable. The 'gorilla' is each of us comes out when necessary. Applying physics to gorilla wrenching has a certain amount of finesse.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 10:06 PM   #26
billr
Master Member
billr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of light

It has already been asked, but I will also: has that jam-nut been loosened? I would expect to see a distinct gap between it and the TRE. Even if it is slightly loose, a bigger gap may give you a better chance of getting PB Blaster in where it is needed, the female threaded hole of the TRE.

Why not slit the side of that TRE with the Dremel disk? Do that on both sides, not going quite deep enough to get down to the threads, and then split the TRE with a cold-chisel. Even if you do nick the male threads on the tie-rod with the grinding disk, it will still be OK to use.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 10:24 PM   #27
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

If the shaft of the TRE is stuck in the knuckle then block the knuckle from dropping, grab a 6ft or longer solid pipe and pry down on the TRE while tapping around it with a hammer. Sitting on the end of the pipe not recommended (despite it's effectiveness) due to how quickly the TRE release's from the knuckle.
Failing that a sledge hammer and pickle fork works pretty good, if the shaft has been cut flush with the knuckle then you might not be able to use one of the quick-poppers. Pickle fork highly not recommended if the joint & boot(s) need to be reused, it generally destroys the boot and doesn't do the inner part of the joint any good either.

People look at me funny when I grab the pipe wrench to hold the inner tie rods...but honestly, what else am I supposed to use on a pipe? A hex wrench?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 12:23 AM   #28
billr
Master Member
billr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of light

Why is this so hard for people to understand? The TRE is not stuck in the knuckle! The OP has put it back there just as a "holding fixture. The TRE female thread seems to be stuck on the male thread of the tie-rod.

However, I gotta ask... with the TRE stud in the knuckle, the TRE can't be turned. Can the tie-rod actually be turned, or is it also secured, at the other end?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 01:47 AM   #29
Cheyne
Cheyne will become famous soon enoughCheyne will become famous soon enough

2000 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by billr View Post
Can the tie-rod actually be turned, or is it also secured, at the other end?
The tie rod can be turned 360 if not bound on the TRE side by rust and jam nut.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cheyne's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cheyne reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cheyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 10:41 AM   #30
fjmg
fjmg will become famous soon enough

Living in the salt... I can sympathize.
If it was me, I would remove the inner/outer TRE as an assembly and toss it.
The cost of a new inner is nothing compared to the grief of corroded jam nut.
Especially when adjusting the toe-in.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fjmg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fjmg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fjmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 11:01 AM   #31
Waiex191
Waiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

I'll state the obvious, in case it is not. First step is to loosen the jam nut. You need a wrench on the tie rod end and a wrench on the jam nut. Also, heat and PB blaster or your favorite penetrating oil. Next, you need a wrench on the tie rod end and a wrench on the tie rod itself. Again, heat and PB blaster or your favorite penetrating oil. You need a lot of torque if it is stuck. If you look at my picture, I jammed two open end wrenches on the flat stamped into the tie rod. I can't remember what I used on the tie rod end - I think a metric cresent wrench and a pipe for leverage. A pipe wrench would work on the end also.

Think of this as a battle of wills. You need to be the John Wick of auto repair.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 11:37 AM   #32
Jonasan308
Advanced Member

1999 SC1

Finally. After 2 days the jam nut finally is moving. I heat it up very well and then stuck the wrench on while it was still hot. It gave, thankfully not to smash my hands into anything. Gave off a really nasty smell too after breaking off Im going to wait until it cools off and then try to put everything back together.

Im still not sure how to get the axle seated in right. It goes into the knuckle but i cant seem to get it inserted all the way in. Im pretty sure the axle is seated properly on the transmission side.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-18-2018, 02:38 PM   #33
Jonasan308
Advanced Member

1999 SC1

Managed to get everything put back together. New tie rod end came with another jam nut so i replaced that too. The not so fun part was getting the strut back in and connected to the knuckle, i used a pry bar to pull down the suspension so the holes would line up with the strut. The reaon i was even doing this was, i kept hearing this rhythmic clunking and vibration when turning right at highway speed. And the car felt very unstable, especially at 70-75 MPH. Seems this has gone away. Thanks everyone for the help!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-18-2018, 04:51 PM   #34
Cheyne
Cheyne will become famous soon enoughCheyne will become famous soon enough

2000 SL2

You won! Now you likely need to have the alignment checked.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cheyne's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cheyne reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cheyne is offline   Reply With Quote