SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2018, 03:58 PM   #1
odiaz1831
odiaz1831 is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2
2003 ION-3 Sedan
Default Easiest Auto Trans Fluid to get?

Im having trouble getting my hands on trans fluid for an auto trans. Currently Im waiting on some Valvoline max life for imports, but I recently had Walmart cancel my order for the same amount. Hopefully Adavanced Autoparts comes through. Whats the most common fluid around that we can use?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to odiaz1831's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help odiaz1831 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
odiaz1831 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-2018, 04:28 PM   #2
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2
Default Re: Easiest Auto Trans Fluid to get?

Any fluid marked Dexron/Mercon compatible. For example, at Walmart,
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Tec...allon/20573820

(read the bottle in-store, as their packaging for different formulations looks nearly identical)
Quote:
Super Tech Automatic Transmission Fluid is formulated with premium quality ingredients to provide excellent performance in General Motors and Ford vehicles requiring the former Dexron III or Mercon transmission fluid.
In the S-series, both the manual and auto transmissions used the same fluid.

Mobil One ATF should be available, and should have a Dex/Merc formulation

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 04:40 PM   #3
odiaz1831

2001 SC2
2003 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
Any fluid marked Dexron/Mercon compatible. For example, at Walmart,
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Tec...allon/20573820

(read the bottle in-store, as their packaging for different formulations looks nearly identical)

In the S-series, both the manual and auto transmissions used the same fluid.

Mobil One ATF should be available, and should have a Dex/Merc formulation
Oh wow i didt know the supertech reached the requirements. I had only seen a bunch of different and expensive fluids on this site.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help odiaz1831 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-05-2018, 09:15 PM   #4
dummo
Master Member
dummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of light

1997 SW2

E5674913-29F7-4A34-A8CC-310F3961C1EF.jpeg
This is easy to get.
Advance Auto.

1997 SW2 used 12/29/2011 with 124,200 -27 mpg
2004 Ion3 new 11/2003 (totaled) 11/2011 -23 mpg
1994 SL1 new traded
1992 SL2 new traded for above
* 1986 Yamaha ce50 Jog -100 mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dummo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dummo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dummo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 11:14 PM   #5
mattwithcats
mattwithcats has a spectacular aura aboutmattwithcats has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL2

Valvoline Dex/Merc...

Blue jug, not the red Dexron VI...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Valvoline...allon/15125788

2002 Silver SL2, manual, 5th gear swap (.605), 80,000 miles, black badges,
205/60R15 "H" rated tires, 5mm spacers rear...
Mobil 1 ESP 0W-30, NAPA 41516...
NGK BKR6E-11 spark plugs

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mattwithcats's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mattwithcats reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mattwithcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 01:42 AM   #6
odiaz1831

2001 SC2
2003 ION-3 Sedan

Finally did my fluid change. Filter that was on was red, but no magnet. Signifies that it was changed at least once? Anyway, use 4 quarts of supertech atf and .5 quart of their high mileage atf. Didnt really plan to use high mileage but they only had that left. Used a wix filter.

Noticed my shifting instantly was better. Slam sounds way better than before. I dont get it every time now.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-18-2018, 02:18 AM   #7
Zeebins
Advanced Member
Zeebins is a name known to allZeebins is a name known to allZeebins is a name known to allZeebins is a name known to allZeebins is a name known to allZeebins is a name known to all

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by odiaz1831 View Post
Finally did my fluid change. Filter that was on was red, but no magnet. Signifies that it was changed at least once? Anyway, use 4 quarts of supertech atf and .5 quart of their high mileage atf. Didnt really plan to use high mileage but they only had that left. Used a wix filter.

Noticed my shifting instantly was better. Slam sounds way better than before. I dont get it every time now.
Make sure you keep an eye on the fluid level for the next few weeks. I changed my trans fluid a few weeks ago now and just last week I noticed that the plastic shield under the radiator was wet. I assume it's the trans filter thats leaking but I haven't had time to look at it yet. I am also defiantly slowly loosing trans fluid so I can pretty safely say its not coolant leaking from the radiator.

It's time to play....guess that rattle!
1997 SL2, 111K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Zeebins's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Zeebins reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Zeebins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 12:44 PM   #8
odiaz1831

2001 SC2
2003 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebins View Post
Make sure you keep an eye on the fluid level for the next few weeks. I changed my trans fluid a few weeks ago now and just last week I noticed that the plastic shield under the radiator was wet. I assume it's the trans filter thats leaking but I haven't had time to look at it yet. I am also defiantly slowly loosing trans fluid so I can pretty safely say its not coolant leaking from the radiator.

Will do. Did you check the transmission line to the radiator? Mine was leaking there after i replaced the radiator and hose. Was told o add teflon tape around the threads. I was also loosing fluid tbrough the filter like you said.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-18-2018, 01:02 PM   #9
cgg17
cgg17 will become famous soon enoughcgg17 will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2
1999 SL2

I lost fluid through the filter on our 99 auto. Filter kept spinning off. Ended up putting a hose clamp around the filter, and then had the clamp butted up against the excess metal gasket to keep it from spinning off. Worked well.

1994 Sl2 5spd: 56,576 (Totaled 1/10/2018)
1995 Sl2 5spd Manual Swap: 150,062
1999 Sl2 4spd: 98,8xx

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cgg17's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cgg17 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cgg17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 01:55 PM   #10
Zeebins
Advanced Member
Zeebins is a name known to allZeebins is a name known to allZeebins is a name known to allZeebins is a name known to allZeebins is a name known to allZeebins is a name known to all

1997 SL2

Quote:
Will do. Did you check the transmission line to the radiator? Mine was leaking there after i replaced the radiator and hose. Was told o add teflon tape around the threads. I was also loosing fluid tbrough the filter like you said.
I'm not gonna be able to look at it until Wednesday so I'm not sure if it's a line yet. I wouldn't think it would be a the line since it wasn't leaking before and I didn't do anything to it while changing the fluid but when your working on a car that's over 20 years old pretty much anything could break at anytime, lol. So I'll defiantly have to look at the line, maybe it is the source of the leak.

It's time to play....guess that rattle!
1997 SL2, 111K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Zeebins's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Zeebins reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Zeebins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 04:14 PM   #11
odiaz1831

2001 SC2
2003 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebins View Post
I'm not gonna be able to look at it until Wednesday so I'm not sure if it's a line yet. I wouldn't think it would be a the line since it wasn't leaking before and I didn't do anything to it while changing the fluid but when your working on a car that's over 20 years old pretty much anything could break at anytime, lol. So I'll defiantly have to look at the line, maybe it is the source of the leak.
Exactly. I didnt plan on changing those hoses. I only did brcause i couldnt remove them because they were so rusted to **** didnt even look like a nut anymore

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-18-2018, 11:40 PM   #12
dummo
Master Member
dummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of light

1997 SW2

Easiest to change!
That spin-on filter is awesome!

1997 SW2 used 12/29/2011 with 124,200 -27 mpg
2004 Ion3 new 11/2003 (totaled) 11/2011 -23 mpg
1994 SL1 new traded
1992 SL2 new traded for above
* 1986 Yamaha ce50 Jog -100 mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dummo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dummo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dummo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 03:04 PM   #13
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the rough

1995 SC2

Quote:

You shouldn't have ANY slamming of the gears. How many miles are on this car? Are there any other shifting issues, such as a delayed reverse before the slam?

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 11:05 PM   #14
odiaz1831

2001 SC2
2003 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn Night View Post
You shouldn't have ANY slamming of the gears. How many miles are on this car? Are there any other shifting issues, such as a delayed reverse before the slam?
Oh yeah i know. Theres a slight delay before reverse, but honestly cant tell if its normal. Occasionally slams into reverse now. Before it would be constant. Valve body and input shaft nut will be done before end of year. She has 130k. Hopefully i can still save her, was given to me by my SIL.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!