SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech

Old 12-08-2007, 10:04 PM   #1
atlas4711
atlas4711 is on a distinguished road

Default Control Module Throttle Actuator Position Performance

Control Module Throttle Actuator Position Performance: I got an SES light with this code and the engine kicking in to reduced power mode. Anyone know what's involved in fixing this? Can I drive for a while with this problem? It's happened three times, all with the outside temperature below freezing. All three times happened while driving slowly (approaching lights, traffic circles, etc.) I turn the car off, wait a minute and restart and the car is fine. The SES light goes out after five or six successful starts. I live in NH where daytime temperatures have been in the 30s and nighttime temps get down to the teens. The dealership won't say anything about it without an $84 diagnostic test--I had to get Onstar to give me the fault code (P2101),
atlas4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2007, 01:17 AM   #2
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Default Re: Control Module Throttle Actuator Position Performance

Welcome to the Board.

Can you get us the year, model (assuming ION) and engine?

Is the engine to operating temp when the SES light comes on? Any driveablity problems when the light comes on?
A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 12:08 PM   #3
atlas4711
atlas4711 is on a distinguished road

2006 Ion Sedan, not Red Line.
85K (100K warranty)
Fairly recent oil change, but not so recent for any other maintenance.

First time was a cold start and it happened within a mile. (First really cold day I had to drive on.)
Second time was after warming up until the needle was above the "C" and then driving about two miles.
Third time was after warming up until the needle was above the second line (1/4 tank if it were the fuel gauge) and then driving 15 miles including about 10 miles at highway speed.
Last night, I drove it a short distance (4 miles?) in 30 degree weather and it was fine.

Prior to the lights coming on, the car works fine. When they come on, the car won't clear 15 mph, but otherwise works fine. After the restart, the car works fine again. The reduced power light goes out after the restart, the SES light goes out after a half dozen starts. I have no idea if Onstar running the engine diagnostic changes anything.
atlas4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 01:12 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I wouldn't think OnStar would reset anything that coded - think of the legal implications if something were to go wrong while you were driving that was caused by an incompetent OnStar rep? Without going into detail consider that there's some discussion taking place, as presented by the news media, of allowing law enforcement to engage the aid of OnStar to disable a vehicle while committing a crime using a GM vehicle for a high speed getaway? How does Onstar confirm with law enforcement that the plates on a car (during a high speed chase) are the actual plates belonging to the car and not stolen plates? The incorrect identification and subsequent disabling of the engine electronics to slow the car down may in fact be slowing the wrong car!? The DMV would have to be queried, the car description ID'd, all sorts of checks made to ensure that the vehicle in pursuit is in fact the vehicle that law enforcement wants disabled by OnStar. It seems to me law enforcement would have to jump through hoops before asking OnStar to disable a car during a high speed chase, possibly endangering anyone nearby. Quite a bit of thinking needs to take place for something as simple as asking OnStar to disable a vehicle. The same goes for presuming OnStar would reset a trouble code. I'm sure the capability is there but to use it becomes a liability issue, something not done in haste without clear conclusions. I am of the opinion that OnStar won't perform any type of service to your vehicle except to default by communicating to you whether you are in need of roadside asistance.

As for the problem of reduced power mode in low temperatures that you've encountered, isn't the car under warranty? If so, insist on them to at least make an effort to attempt to duplicate the problem. The alternative may be to consider that moisture may affect the throttle-by-wire circuitry, either the accelerator pedal position module in the car or the throttle actuator module on the engine. You may be the first to report troubles with these units. Both modules have dual position sensors to eliminate the possibility of just such a problem but real world use may expose any weakness such as moisture at low tempertures. Just theorizing on my part though.
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote