SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Reference Forums > Miscellaneous Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-04-2000, 11:56 AM   #1
mike

Default Front Wheel Bearing

Anyone have any tips on replacing the bearing on front wheel drive '92 SC with ABS. I can get the hub and bearing assembly off the car, need help getting bearing out and new one pressed in. Tips?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mike's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mike reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!

SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2000, 03:40 PM   #2
England
England is on a distinguished road

Unless you have your own press I would buy the bearing from your dealer and have your local machine shop (Napa,National Bushing etc.)press in the bearing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to England's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help England reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-04-2000, 03:53 PM   #3
mike

I have access to a press. How hard to get the old bearing out of the hub?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mike's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mike reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!

Old 03-06-2000, 06:52 PM   #4
LilRedWag
LilRedWag is on a distinguished road

Haven't worked a hub, I would assume the same effort as working with a gear puller?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to LilRedWag's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help LilRedWag reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-10-2004, 09:59 PM   #5
NoDifference

With a press it's easy to remove the bearing. There are special tools to ease the process. Sometimes the race stays on the hub. I use an air hammer with a chisel end to slide it off.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NoDifference's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NoDifference reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!

Old 01-11-2004, 12:33 AM   #6
Dach
Dach is on a distinguished road

Wow, this has to be the oldest resurrected thread I've ever seen! The original poster probably died yrs. ago.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dach's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dach reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-11-2004, 12:48 AM   #7
TheSaturnKid
Master Member
TheSaturnKid is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2

Holy crap!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TheSaturnKid's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TheSaturnKid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-11-2004, 01:19 AM   #8
amazinghl
Master Member
amazinghl will become famous soon enough

Almost 4 yrs... wow...

85 GLH 367whp. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2261629#post2261629
00 Insight 72mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amazinghl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amazinghl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-11-2004, 03:54 AM   #9
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

You wanna talk about diggin deep for a thread!!!

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-11-2004, 02:06 PM   #10
NoDifference

My fault, I'm new and not looking at dates. Don't hold it against me because I disagree with Wolfman ssicarman. I'm only trying to help. I'm not trying to take over.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NoDifference's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NoDifference reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!

Old 01-11-2004, 02:17 PM   #11
TedL
TedL is on a distinguished road

That can be done, and done better, without putting down others. Otherwise, one might mistake you for an obnoxious know-it-all. That would be a mistake - - right?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TedL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TedL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-16-2004, 03:11 PM   #12
Qlara
Master Member
Qlara is on a distinguished road

So, what's the right 'Socket' (Size and Depth) for cracking out the Front wheel hub to shaft nut?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Qlara's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Qlara reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-16-2004, 03:26 PM   #13
TedL
TedL is on a distinguished road

Per Wolfman, 30mm. Standard depth works. Generally AZ will lend it for free.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TedL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TedL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-17-2004, 12:24 AM   #14
Qlara
Master Member
Qlara is on a distinguished road

30mm 1/2" standard size will work fine then?

That's a pretty big-caliber socket....hehe, thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Qlara's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Qlara reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-18-2004, 12:54 AM   #15
jogle
jogle is on a distinguished road

Get a six-point socket.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jogle's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jogle reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-18-2004, 11:17 AM   #16
Luke
Master Member
Luke will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2

Quote:
Fm Jogle

Get a six-point socket.
That is so important

> 95 SL 2 = 653,369 Miles 40.4 MPG, as of 5/20/11. My manual Radiator Fan Switch, courtesy of Wolfman's patient installation guidance, continues to be.......invaluable < The car was retired

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Luke's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Luke reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-24-2004, 12:31 PM   #17
the_skin_eater
the_skin_eater is on a distinguished road

1999 SL1

sry...have to bring this back again....at least its only couple months this time. I need to change my rear bearing, was gonna do it today but see that you mention press and all that. Do I have to use something special to do this job? Or can I just go out and wiz it?

Im not crazy, just bored...
http://www.cardomain.com/id/the_skin_eater ---Chek it out.

All my time goes to the Talon...My girlfriend is jealous. But my car is jealous that I sleep with her...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to the_skin_eater's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help the_skin_eater reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-24-2004, 10:43 PM   #18
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

On the rears I never bother to just replace the bearing. The rear hubs are much less expensive than the fronts. Replace the entire hub assembly, it just bolts right on.

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-25-2004, 12:42 AM   #19
the_skin_eater
the_skin_eater is on a distinguished road

1999 SL1

Oh sorry, forgot to mention, I do have a whole hub. I got one because the other is cracked. Is this no problem to take off then, because I just searched for wheel bearing, which is what the dealership said was wrong, but he said hub when I asked him more about it. Thought it was the same.

Im not crazy, just bored...
http://www.cardomain.com/id/the_skin_eater ---Chek it out.

All my time goes to the Talon...My girlfriend is jealous. But my car is jealous that I sleep with her...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to the_skin_eater's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help the_skin_eater reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread