SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2018, 12:52 PM   #1
Northerner
Northerner is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 2.2L
Idea Question about shifting and pressure needed to push stick in/shift from gear to gear

I have two Saturn VUEs now and the one I just bought it is harder to push the stick shift into 1st gear and it's harder to push it in any other gear when shifting.

How do I know how hard it should be to press the actual shift nob into gear? Why would one be a little easier/cleaner than the other?

Does that indicate that the one that is harder to shift is "fresher"?

Or is the one that is easier to shift into/transition from gear to gear not supposed to be easier, and therefore a sign of a wearing transmission?

I have two of the same VUEs - both are manual transmission 2004 models.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Northerner's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Northerner reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Northerner is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-2018, 01:03 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Question about shifting and pressure needed to push stick in/shift from gear to g

Does it shift easier with engine off? Engine off; shifting without any effort, clutch engaged all the time. This checks the xmission only. With engine running, clutch must be disengaged in order to shift. Difficult shifting points to three things - clutch master and slave unit or clutch.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 02:05 PM   #3
waiter21
Advanced Member
waiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to all

2003 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Question about shifting and pressure needed to push stick in/shift from gear to g

Shift cables are bad..

My "Rescue Vue" was hard to shift.. I put new shift cables in it and now its almost like a normal mechanical linkage shifter..

Look at this link:

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=217222

2003 Vue - 2.2L with Manual Trans. (Swapped)
Originally had 2.2L and Auto trans.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to waiter21's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help waiter21 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 03:36 PM   #4
Northerner

2004 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Does it shift easier with engine off? Engine off; shifting without any effort, clutch engaged all the time. This checks the xmission only. With engine running, clutch must be disengaged in order to shift. Difficult shifting points to three things - clutch master and slave unit or clutch.
About the same when the engine isn't running. Kind of "tough" to shift the gear knob into gears.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Northerner reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-19-2018, 03:38 PM   #5
Northerner

2004 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by waiter21 View Post
Shift cables are bad..

My "Rescue Vue" was hard to shift.. I put new shift cables in it and now its almost like a normal mechanical linkage shifter..

Look at this link:

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=217222

So...not anything transmission related, per se??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-19-2018, 06:26 PM   #6
waiter21
Advanced Member
waiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to all

2003 VUE 2.2L

cables..... You can try cleaning them.. but not sure how successful that is..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help waiter21 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-19-2018, 06:38 PM   #7
Northerner

2004 VUE 2.2L

I'm sorry I'm not very car savvy.

Just to be clear, "cables" doesn't necessarily mean that the transmission/clutch is going bad?

I need to know because I am going to keep one of my Vues and I want to choose the one that needs the least amount of repairs (or serious repairs).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-19-2018, 06:52 PM   #8
waiter21
Advanced Member

2003 VUE 2.2L

Tranny is probably OK. The problem is the shifter cables that connect the shift lever to the transmission. These cables are about 6 ft long, they get old and worn, then start binding and make it hard to shift.

The cables cost about $200 for the set. NOTE - I just seen some on e-bay for less than $100. The price must be coming downn..

Last edited by waiter21; 05-19-2018 at 06:58 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-19-2018, 07:11 PM   #9
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northerner View Post
About the same when the engine isn't running. Kind of "tough" to shift the gear knob into gears.
Same shift feel with engine ruining or not makes it a little more difficult to narrow the problem down. waiter21 seems to have good clue about worn shift cables.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 07:18 PM   #10
Northerner

2004 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by waiter21 View Post
Tranny is probably OK. The problem is the shifter cables that connect the shift lever to the transmission. These cables are about 6 ft long, they get old and worn, then start binding and make it hard to shift.

The cables cost about $200 for the set. NOTE - I just seen some on e-bay for less than $100. The price must be coming downn..
Okay. Thank you for responding. It's nice when people add some decency to the world.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!