SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2009, 05:51 PM   #1
crusher20
crusher20 is on a distinguished road

Default SL1 99 need help on mini fuses.. newbie here

I am new with cars and trying to troubleshoot my car right nows you know its a 99 sl1 model, and here is 2 situations i experience right now.

1. lighter wont work, the light around it will turn on, but actually the specific lighter or accessory i may try to plug in wont work, i tried to check the fuses.. but in my manual it says there a mini fuses.. its suppose to be no 13 20amps... but when i open the cover under the hood the diagram doesnt show the number and nothing there indicates the lighter fuse.. i wonder if the mini fuses arent in a different place..

2. the cooling fan isnt working, so my motor heats if i dont stop after some time.. but most of time if i dont move the car.. as no air gets in to help the temperature..

it may be very very basic issues but i need help with those, other than than the car is quite a charm.. other than issual care needed.

help would greatly be appreciated.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to crusher20's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help crusher20 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
crusher20 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2009, 05:59 PM   #2
WingsOfSaturn
WingsOfSaturn will become famous soon enoughWingsOfSaturn will become famous soon enough

1998 SL2
1995 SL2
Default Re: SL1 99 need help on mini fuses.. newbie here

1. Lighter fuse is in the passenger kick panel fuse box.

2. Change out your ECTS. Common issue. Procedures are in a Sticky in the How-To Library. Your MPG will increase also as you will not be running constantly rich. Does the fan run when you turn on the AC, that is if you have AC?

Welcome to the forum.

"When you stop to fill up on oil, don't forget to check the gas"
98 SL2 MT 213K+ Daily Driver 38+ mpg
97 SL2 AT 150K Original Owner
95 SL2 MT 220K+
My Saturns have BRASS ones!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to WingsOfSaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help WingsOfSaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
WingsOfSaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 06:05 PM   #3
crusher20

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsOfSaturn View Post
1. Lighter fuse is in the passenger kick panel fuse box.

2. Change out your ECTS. Common issue. Procedures are in a Sticky in the How-To Library. Your MPG will increase also as you will not be running constantly rich. Does the fan run when you turn on the AC, that is if you have AC?

Welcome to the forum.
thanks i will check it out, both the passenger fuses and the sticky threat.
as for the AC my car doesnt not posses it, but i made the test to see if the fan was going when i turn of the heat or wind.. and it doesnt.

btw, sorry for my poor english.

and its great to see this forum, i am sure to learn more than ever here hopefullly i learn fast to help others eventually.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help crusher20 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-02-2009, 06:06 PM   #4
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

First - kudos that you checked your owner's manual first. It's dismaying how many people post here in lieu of such basic research.

The fuse for the lighter is in the interior fuse box (aka IPJB). From the passenger seat, find the panel on the center console that your left foot would kick. Remove that panel/cover, and there's a whole 'nother set of fuses. The manual numbers them, but the "map" is molded into the back side of that cover.

As for the cooling fan, how hot is the engine getting? Do you have A/C? One "preliminary" thing to check into is your ECTS -engine coolant temp sensor. If yours is the original, and may have failed. The original design is faulty, and the replacement is (well, should be) a one-off lifetime fix. Visit our How-To Library, and follow the "sticky" links at the top; two of them describe this sensor, how critical it is (including the function of the fan), how to determine if yours is original, and how easy it is to replace.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 06:15 PM   #5
crusher20

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
First - kudos that you checked your owner's manual first. It's dismaying how many people post here in lieu of such basic research.

The fuse for the lighter is in the interior fuse box (aka IPJB). From the passenger seat, find the panel on the center console that your left foot would kick. Remove that panel/cover, and there's a whole 'nother set of fuses. The manual numbers them, but the "map" is molded into the back side of that cover.

As for the cooling fan, how hot is the engine getting? Do you have A/C? One "preliminary" thing to check into is your ECTS -engine coolant temp sensor. If yours is the original, and may have failed. The original design is faulty, and the replacement is (well, should be) a one-off lifetime fix. Visit our How-To Library, and follow the "sticky" links at the top; two of them describe this sensor, how critical it is (including the function of the fan), how to determine if yours is original, and how easy it is to replace.
sorry by i dont know what ECTS is , as for the heating sensor, my panel doesnt indicated overheating but showing like half way.. the cooling engine fluid actually start boiling and there is steam going out, in those cases i stop the car and let it breath.. i will sure to check it the sticky in few minutes, i will go and take a look to the lighter jumper first.. and will most likely take more time tomorow to see the other situations, thanks for the quick replies!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-02-2009, 06:47 PM   #6
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2

ECTS: Engine Coolant Temprature Sensor. $12 dealer part, doesn't sound like it's the current problem.

I'd test and/or replace the coolant cap (or...make sure the current one is on tight enough...). 1/2 on the gauge shouldn't be hot enough to boil the coolant.

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 06:58 PM   #7
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
ECTS: Engine Coolant Temprature Sensor. $12 dealer part, doesn't sound like it's the current problem.

I'd test and/or replace the coolant cap (or...make sure the current one is on tight enough...). 1/2 on the gauge shouldn't be hot enough to boil the coolant.
WRONG. If the ECTS is bad, it'll falsely read low. Fan won't come on, real temp will be much higher than shown on the gauge.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 07:10 PM   #8
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2

Okay, then I'd test the coolant cap after replacing the evil ECTS.

Kinda funny when a bad coolant cap (combined with a bad valve cover gasket) makes a mechanic say it needs a new engine.

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 09:31 PM   #9
crusher20

thank you guys sorry i was away, i fixed the little fuse and it worked, that something done.. (that was as basic as it gets )

now the other issue is interesting, like i said guys i will focus on this one probably tomorow after work.

thanks again, both theories are interesting.. could very well be the sensor as the need for the fan to start wouldnt be required if just showing half temperature..

i tell you guys more next time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!