SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Reference Forums > Miscellaneous Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-10-2003, 03:45 PM   #1
BlackGoldSL2
BlackGoldSL2 is on a distinguished road

Question "Cleaning" oil mixture

Over the weekend, I did two engine soaks using the GM Top Engine Cleaner. On Friday, I poured a can in the cylinders over lunch, purged it six hours later, ran the car for about 5 minutes, then let it sit overnight like that. On Saturday, I poured another can in the cylinders, purged it six hours later, ran the car for about 5 minutes, drained the 5W30 conventional oil, replaced it with synthetic 10W30 and drove it the rest of the weekend.

Last night, I checked the oil level. What I found was VERY WATERY, BLACK OIL on the dipstick ... as if Top Engine Cleaner had been mixed in with the oil (and, by the smell of it, I think that's exactly what was happening). I immediately drained the oil, replaced it with another batch of 10W30 synthetic (this is getting expensive!!!), and drove the car some more. This morning, the oil is the color and consistency it should be.

Anyway, I got to thinking ... how harmful would it be to run this mixture of oil and Top Engine Cleaner in the engine for an extended period of time? It seems the fluid I saw on the dipstick was the result of the oil/TEC flushing the engine of dirt. I'm wondering if it would be helpful to run this mixture for a longer period of time ... say ... between two fuel fill-ups (or longer).

Just curious ...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BlackGoldSL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BlackGoldSL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2003, 03:58 PM   #2
Applefool
Master Member
Applefool has a spectacular aura aboutApplefool has a spectacular aura aboutApplefool has a spectacular aura about

2006 ION Red Line

I recently did a cleaning, ran it for about 10 mins to get the smoke out, changed the oil, and the oil is now quite black less than 1k miles later. I am going to get it changed asap, but it will have been in there for about 1k miles. Hopefully no harm done, and with any luck it did some cleaning while it was in there.

2011 Audi TT (modified)
2007 Mercedes E550 (stock)
1999 Expedition (Stock)
2007 Ion Coupe (Daughters eventually)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Applefool's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Applefool reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-10-2003, 04:04 PM   #3
1saxman
Master Member
1saxman is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L

Check out KREEN from Kano Labs, Nashville, TN (they have a web site). This is for the same purpose, and has been around for many years. I buy it by the gallon and use it in the gas and oil for my older, problem vehicles and 2-cycle equipment (cleans out the carbon as it forms). It dissolves gum, varnish and carbon, and is introduced into the cylinder by the spark plug hole like the dealer stuff discussed. It is not flushed out, but remains in the oil. I like to treat the oil and gas, driving the vehicle for a period before doing the soak. This really does the complete job, except for fuel injection throttle bodies, etc., that are not touched by fuel. Check out their site - all their products work.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1saxman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1saxman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-10-2003, 07:46 PM   #4
sp33doe
sp33doe is on a distinguished road

what is the name of the site
any www's out there??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sp33doe's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sp33doe reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-10-2003, 08:06 PM   #5
TedL
TedL is on a distinguished road

Do you yahoo????

http://www.kanolabs.com/

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TedL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TedL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-10-2003, 08:10 PM   #6
sp33doe
sp33doe is on a distinguished road

lol i do yahohohohoooooo...
thanx for the link

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sp33doe's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sp33doe reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread