SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Site Information > Community Center > Introductions & Greetings
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2009, 08:49 PM   #1
DangerMouse
DangerMouse is on a distinguished road

1996 SC2
Default New to Saturns. in Maine

I recently bought a 96 SC2. It ended up replacing my beloved Mazda 626 of 16 years. I bought the Saturn kind of impulsively. I went to look at it and the previous owner had taken such impecable care of it that it was a pretty safe bet for a car with 100k plus miles. How often do you hear of someone praising the previous owner's habits? Nice car, I'm here for the technical stuff. So far I'm able to answer my questions with the search.

I've pretty much become an instant fan of the S Series. Surprisingly good for inexpensive and domestic.

Danger Mouse is the name we've given the SC2. It's kind of mouse shaped and dangerously red.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DangerMouse's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DangerMouse reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2009, 12:54 PM   #2
MikeNW
Master Member
MikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really nice

Location: Lower Alabama= God's country, if God wanted mosquito and red ant bites, and to be covered in mildew

1997 SL
Default Re: New to Saturns. in Maine

Welcome!
check your ECTS and change it, if it's the crappy resin one. DM will run better
Is hurricane Bill still headed that way?

97 SL. Born 6/5/97, bought 7/7/97
08 Burgman 400
02 Haro MTB- can't kill it, still trying though

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.
Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MikeNW's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MikeNW reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MikeNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 09:58 PM   #3
DangerMouse
DangerMouse is on a distinguished road

1996 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNW View Post
Welcome!
check your ECTS and change it, if it's the crappy resin one. DM will run better
Is hurricane Bill still headed that way?
Thanks for the heads up on the ECTS. (is that..... Electronic Coolant Temperature Sensor?)

Is there a good primer here somewhere on what changes were made in what years for the S-Series? Especially the SCs?
Maybe a spotter's guide so I've got an idea what year car I'm seeing when I spot the subtle differences in parking lights and such.

I may start looking for an SW2 for myself since initially the SC2 was purchased for my daughter to use.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DangerMouse's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DangerMouse reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 10:14 PM   #4
Growser
Advanced Member
Growser is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2
2000 SL1

The Saturn engines will run a very long time as long as you keep the oil full. One of my Saturns has over 225,000 miles and another 180,000. Saturns are known for their tendency to burn oil due to a design issue with the rings. Until you know how your engine goes through the oil start off by checking the oil at every gas fill, then you can modify your oil checks accordingly.
Just remember to check your oil !

7 Saturn Car Family with + 900,000 miles.
2002 SL2, 2000 SL1, 1997 SC2, 1997 SC1, 1996 SC1, 1994 SC2, and now a 93 SC2 project car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Growser's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Growser reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Growser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 08:50 AM   #5
SaturnSdn
Master Member
SaturnSdn will become famous soon enoughSaturnSdn will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-3 Sedan
2007 ION-3 Sedan

Hello and welcome ................ start off by changing your oil then keep an eye on it. I've had 10 S-CARS not one of them burnt a drop of the MOBIL-1 added at the first oil change.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnSdn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnSdn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnSdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 12:33 PM   #6
crystal scan
Advanced Member
crystal scan is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
I recently bought a 96 SC2. It ended up replacing my beloved Mazda 626 of 16 years. I bought the Saturn kind of impulsively. I went to look at it and the previous owner had taken such impecable care of it that it was a pretty safe bet for a car with 100k plus miles. How often do you hear of someone praising the previous owner's habits? Nice car, I'm here for the technical stuff. So far I'm able to answer my questions with the search.

I've pretty much become an instant fan of the S Series. Surprisingly good for inexpensive and domestic.

Danger Mouse is the name we've given the SC2. It's kind of mouse shaped and dangerously red.
well come grats on your Buy and welcome to Saturnfans

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to crystal scan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help crystal scan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
crystal scan is offline   Reply With Quote